Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

winter riding

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mikey_mikestar, Jun 12, 2009.

1. been reading some stuff from some guys saying that riding in the wet is that good and can be a worry. ive just moved back to melb and riding around here for the first time as ive only been riding a yr. i figure that the only way to get better at my riding in all conditions is to ride in it.

ive been taking it slowly and im always looking around me for other idiots in cars and trucks and allowing myself time to adjust if need be. after only riding here for about a month i already feel a bit mor confident (not cocky) about my riding.

and as for the cold(came down from qld) i just have to add a bit more clothing and its all good. i have the use of a car but if i can take the bike i will.im hoping to get to meet some of you so i can go on some long rides as i have no one atm.

safe riding to all. :)
  2. if your out early when its a very low ambient it pays to heat your tires a little also. Some subtle weaving (empty back streets) and a few hard applications of the brakes from around 80kmh usually does the trick. I've found I get more grip in the wet. (both car and bike)

Glad to hear your enjoying Melbourne.
  3. thanks for the tips. i lived here for 15 yrs before i went north so i know how the weather can be. trying to neg the tram tracks has been fun tho.
  4. Sorry but I personally think the whole weaving thing is nonsense and could cause more problems in the wet than you thin it would save.

I reckon that staying warm, ultra cautious and giving yourself much more room/slowing down is critical for new riders (as I am to - 18mths all in Melbourne and continuously for that whole time)
  5. performing such maneuvres like that when it's wet and with cold tyres is just asking for trouble. After all, they're cold and wet. Weaving isn't going to make it safer than riding cautiously.
  6. Weaving in the wet is incredibly stupid.

I don't know how you find you have more grip in the wet either.
  7. I think there was either a topic on the benefits of 'weaving' in order to heat tyres or maybe it was one of the bike mags.

Works out that weaving does cluck-all as far as elevating tyre area heat.
  8. i think the whole weaving thing has been debunked. I wouldnt recommend it either in the wet. Take it steady, make sure the bike is warmed up, and give your buffers plenty of space.

It takes your tyres longer to warm up so keep it in mind, for brakeing, and steering.
  9. and if you get out of city riding and in even colder climates like here, beware of shade in early mornings, even after the sun is up, where tree's etc are causing shade it can be icey on winter mornings
  10. It might be beneficial for racebikes that are fitted with slicks. But for a road tyre and for road riding???
  11. Then again, they would have tyre warmers also :D
  12. I stand corrected on the weaving...... but I still say you have more grip in wet/cold weather if you have warm tyres. (however u go about warming them up.)
  13. thanks for all the input guys.
  14. I got a set of winter woolies that I put on the tyres when I ride. It gets a bit bumpy and I have to replace them after each ride. But my grandma dosen't mind making me another set. She usually makes different colours, but when she makes the pink ones, I generally wear them out quicker for fear of looking like a goose.
  15. For the 'warmer tyres' camp in Melbourne, my question to you people is this: when you ride to work at 2 degrees Celcius at 6.30am in the wet, how on earth will the tyres warm up anyway??

Even after normal daytime riding in the rain (say, a 20 degree C day), if you put your hand on the tyre after you stop, it'll still feel cold. It has been my experience that the tyres only really get heat on a dry day, when you can really apply some weight to them in the corners and so forth.

16. it would have to do with the friction between the road and the tyre, taken into account a lot of physics I haven't studied in 10+ years.
  17. Even when they're wet and cold, as per my question? I've gotta wonder just how much heat they'll actually retain on a wet day on public roads (race tracks aside!).
  18. Bugger all.

The weaver guy is right about warmer tyres having more grip. But the question is how do you get them warm in the first place.

But then road tyres are not as critical to heat changes and grip as race tyres are. And as we don't race on the road it shouldn't be a real issue.

There was a great article on this very topic in AMCN a year or two ago. It explained the physics behind tyre construction and how race slicks differ to that of road tyres and how heat affects each.

If I recall correctly he said that if we were to put grooved slicks on our road bikes and use them on the road, then they'd never get up to their optimum temp where grip is at the greatest as we cannot possibly hope to sustain 160 kay plus speeds around town. But at the same time if we subject road tyres to the same stresses on the track then they'd be ruined, along with providing less grip, a lot quicker.

I think that he said that road tyres will get to their optimum temp a lot quicker than race tyres, but that temp is a lot lower than that of race tyres, otherwise they'd be unrideable for maximum grip and safety.

So, with that in mind, if it's wet you ain't gonna be flogging it anyway. So, getting them up to temp is not as critical as say, the sighting lap for Race 1.