Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Winter Jacket??

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Jem, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Okay so it is starting to get colder so I am thinking about getting a winter jacket. I have an RS Taichi summer mesh jacket that I am really happy with but it is not going to be enough for winter so I have narrowed the choice down to -

Leather - http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7696

Textile - http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=13025

Intend to buy one of them from Alex at Motorcycle Race Gear - http://www.motorcycleracegear.com.au/ here in Melbourne. Got my other jacket from him and he is great to deal with.

Use is for a 14 km commute each way. I ride each day but have great wet weather gear that goes over the top of my riding gear so not an issue to be considered in the jacket choice.

I am leaning towards the textile for a few reasons:-
    1. Like the extra colour, anything that helps to be seen in lower light conditions must be a good thing.
    2. It has built in CE chest protection which the leather does not
    3. Hump on the leather not really my thing and as i ride a naked bike is it a bit of a wank?

So looking for some thoughts, the extra protection of leather is playing on my mind.... Cost differential is not an issue so do not worry about that in your thoughts, I want the best solution and protection for a winter jacket.

So what do you think?

Cheers Jeremy

PS this is my Summer jacket it is fantastic - http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=5914
  2. wear a leather vest underneath - will cut the wind dramtically

or do what i did - the quilted liner in my berik veyron is garbage - as most quilted liners are - they are not worth anything at all

i went and bought some polyester fur from my local haberdashery store for $10

i then took it and the quilted liner to a tailor and ask them to cut it to shape and stitch it to the the quilted liner - cost was $55

they did a great job as they moved the pockets off the original liner put the fur in and then replaced the pockest onto the fur

they also edged the fur nidely to stop it fraying etc

for $60 its a big difference in warmth - this is an idea I have to incorperate into my own line of jackets when they get moving so tested it first on this berik

as the liner is supposed to be for winter and removable for summer it may as well be made in a way that actually does work rather than a component that is there simply for a sales gimmick

standard quilted liners included in sports leather jackets are useless

as people know I believe and make my products in a way that if the item is included as a feature - it better work and do the job very well rather than just be marketing hype.

Attached Files:

3. If you have some spare fun tokens and want to buy a jacket that will last and is great for winter and can used as a summer jacket, take a look at the BMW Streetguard 3 Jacket.
  4. Thanks Takamii,

I am confident the liners in the RS Tachi jacket will not be a sales gimick they seem to be quite serious about the quality of their stuff and that it is fit for purpose.

Any thoughts on the leather v's textile part ?

Cheers Jeremy
  5. Berik is large company yet they still have shortcommings and gimmicks

however of all the leather sports jackets I have seen - very few can keep you warm in the minus 5 degree temperature at night in the Canberra area

depends where you are and how cold it gets as to what suits your purpose best also your $$$$

a $50 leather vest will stop the wind comming through as well - wear that under the jacket
  6. If you want something to go under a jacket, Oxford Chillout or Knox Coldkillers are the go. They let you wear perforated leathers all year round
  7. Thanks twistngo will check them out....

Cheers Jeremy