Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Winter Gloves

Discussion in 'Gloves' started by PilotPete, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Just thought i would give my opinion on my new pair of gloves. Living in Canberra and coming into the colder months it was time for a pair of warmer gloves so i narrowed it down to the Dririder Storm gloves or the Alpinestar WR-2 Gore-tex glove. The storms had plastic knuckle protection and bit thicker padding on the fingers and also a wiper on the left index finger (seemed pretty cool to me) but weren't as comfortable as i was hoping, whereas the Alpinestars were a lot more comfortable and warmer but didn't offer the protection of the hard knuckle. Having riden home from the shop with them and to and from work today i would say that the Alpinestars are a great winter glove, extremely comfortable and warm and for a relatively good price, i got mine for $130.

2. Some of these companies must have a great sense of irony when naming their products.

I just (foolishly) spent the weekend riding around NE Vic. I have a pair of DriRider "Nordic" gloves. When it started raining, within probably 20 mins I could feel the water seeping in. By the time I got to Beechworth they were more or less wet and my hands were cold.

The ride home on Sunday was worse. Gloves, as I type, are still wet, and they're hanging over the mantle near the fireplace.

Please post an update with respect to your gloves and wet weather riding. I am pessimistic about there being a pair of water proof motorcycle gloves out there. But I'm glad to be proved wrong.

I think that I'll purchase a pair of ski gloves. I figure that if I'm gonna prang, some barked knuckles may be the least of my worries...
  3. I had a pair of nordic gloves. they started out ok, used them for abotu 2 months one year, then they were put away for the summer. Brought them out again the next autumn, and on a rainy trip from tullamarine to welshmans reef they leaked and they stank. not impressed. the dri rider highlanders I had before that lasted abotu 3 years, much better gloves.
  4. FWIW, my DriRider Highlander gloves stay dry too. They don't really keep me warm enough on a night run up the Hume in winter but I'm yet to find something that does.
  5. Around 1982 I bought a pair of leather mittens which were fleecy lined. They did a top job of keeping the hands warm. Mainly because the fingers were all enclosed in the mitt together (group warmth theory) and that there were no fingers for air to blast in between.

I can't recall seeing anything like them since.

As for waterproofing, I had a pair of waxed cotton overmitts. They didn't do too bad a job keeping the hands dry. Another pair of gloves had these overmitt things that looked like the silver material that some tents flies are made of. They came out of a pouch in the gauntlet and covered the gloves. They worked OK, insofar as keeping most of the rain off. Can't recall if they were effective for warmth. Again, another product of the '80s that I've never seen since.

These days they seem to concentrate their design work on plastic things that cover the knuckles. Thing is, it would be the palms of your hands that'd need protecting if you do the natural thing and places your hands, outstretched as you fall.

I think that the next time I have to ride for any length of time in the wet I'll use a couple of large freezer bags and rubber bands over the wrists...
  6. Like the OP I'm in Canberra and recently bought winter gloves as it's already been around 0 degrees riding to work in the morning. I got a pair of RST Pro Series gloves and so far they're keeping my hands warm on the 25 min ride to work. They have thumb and 2 fingers with wipers and hard knuckles, and are very comfortable. For under $100 seems like a good glove. Yet to ride in heavy rain to see how they go at staying dry.
  7. i've got the alpinestars, which i bought last winter. similarly, they were great last year but a few weeks ago quite wet riding to work, soaked through, still wet when I went home. They are still warm but i'm definitely going to need something else for the real wet days.
  8. When it rains - to keep my hands toasty and dry I use this thing called a "car". :grin:
  9. i reckon we both think we are winning :)
  10. Thanks Jase, but aren't we a year late???

Or are we pre-empting Aldi's 2009 winter sale?
  11. Bought these last week after a couple of nights getting home with no feeling in my hands (25mins on the freeway at 11:30ish). Cost me $80, down from $130 at PS clearance room on Elizabeth St. They'e still got a few in various sizes if anyone's interested.

Supposedly wind and waterproof - I haven't water tested them properly yet, but much better for the cold than the normal sports gloves. The drawback is that they feel like you are putting your hands in full size bed pillows - hard to get the fingers in properly and little to no feeling of bars and levers. Why do gloves need so many layers on the inside of fingers and palms, when they are not exposed to any wind?

And now I have a bit of Dainese gear.
  12. I have those gloves (had them for a year) and last year I rode from Rowville to Ballarat, a 2 hour trip, in the pouring rain and they were saturated and my hands were freezing.

They're ok for normal use (quite warm in fact) but I wouldn't trust them or most other gloves in torrential rain for any lengthy ride.
  13. I wear 2 pairs ot latex gloves from work in my bike gloves to save my hands from getting wet when it rains :) My hands stay dry always :grin:
  14. UPDATE:

I hate the Dianese things above - sure they are good for warmth, but they really feel like you are wearing full-sized bed pillows on each hand. The layers of material inside get tangled so you can never get your fingers in properly, and once they're on you can forget about doing anything else with your hands (including getting them off, which is REALLY frustrating!)

I'll keep them for wet weather duties, but otherwise it's thermal inners for me - $12 from Kathmandu, much better feel and comparable wind resistance.
  15. I bought a pair of Dainese Sprog-S Gore-Tex Gloves for $160 from $200. At first going from summer gloves to these thick winter things was weird, but then after the third time they wore in and were really comfortable. Have had to adjust riding still, nothing major.

Have had really heavy rain quite a few times, no probs they stood up to it, kept hands both warm and dry. Really happy with purchase.

I heard that Gore-tex needs to be activated by heat after being left unused for a while (correct me if I'm wrong) I think an iron or a quick tumble dry would do.
  16. I've Alpinestars SRS DryStar Gloves which have less insulation as I have heated hand grips. :grin: Got me through last winter OK, including a few long trips in pissing rain. Think quality counts with winter gear.

17. I have them and they helped for a while under my GP Techs on the chocolate mill ride but ultimately my hands ended up cold. I was lent a pair of merino gloves but they didn't seem to do much better for me. However, they were a bit better than the polypro once stopped. I think I'll get a pair of silk or merino gloves because they are thinner and will make getting my riding golves off a bit easier. I think heated grips are probably the only answer to keeping your hands warm when on an extended ride. As for keeping your hands dry, it seems like there isn't much, if anything, out there that works on an extended ride. Kinkybinky's method sounds like its the most reliable.
  18. I too have Dri-rider winter gloves (not sure which ones I bought). They are hopeless. they don't keep your hands warm below about 5 degrees, but above 5 degrees your hands sweat.

Which causes the liner to come loose and out with your hand.

And yeah, they are not water proof either. The main part of the glove gets absolutely soaked. The liner is water resistant so it takes a few minutes to get wet.

Then the liner comes out with your hand.

Also, once wet they take days to dry.

The whole time they are wet they don't keep your hands warm.

And they don't go far enough up your arm for a winter glove.

I thought dri-rider used to be a good product?

I'd rather a glove that was a little too bulky that worked in winter and the wet. I think glove manufacturers are trying to get too clever in getting the bulk down.
  19. I have a pair of DriRider pants which work well in the wet and keep my lower body warm. But I've had poor results with a DriRider jacket, particularly with an inner pocket filling up with water and my mobile phone happening to be residing in said pocket...

These days I have an AGVSport textile jacket. On wet days I wear a Motodry "overcoat" which works a treat.

As for gloves the DriRiders are as bad (or as good) as most $60 gloves out there. Plus, they're bulky and make may hands cramp, particularly the throttle hand.

I might have to lash out on a pair of $150 Dainese or some other exotic brand before winter sets in properly.