Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Winter gear ?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by V8cressida, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Hi. I will be getting my licence just in time for winter. As I am in tassie keeping warm will be a priority escpecially as I will be riding 1 hr each way to work daily.

What recomendations would you make ?

I have just been looking in the latest Dririder Cat.

jacket- Nordic 4
    Gloves - Adventure
    pants - Nordic 4
    boots - ????

am I on the right track ? Or barking at the wrong tree?

As for helmets are there any that are particularly good for winter conditions ?

I don't mind if I double up on gear eg. summer set/ winter set.

2. Set of heated grips and good quality tyres for the bike, as for riding gear, up to you. I used to use a 4 seasons Dri-Rider (rode in Hobart for 5 years and lived there for 26) and Rivet gloves. Standard i.e. normal helmet did the job, used a neck-warmer for winter-time. Things have improved a lot lately so good luck with whatever you choose or are recommended :)
  3. Hmm, I reckon you could maybe go the next model up of Dririder pants, that has the removable liner. I can't remember their name, but that thermal liner the Nordic 4's have gets annoying in slightly warmer weather. Does the jacket have a non-removable liner as well? Might be cheaper than doubling up. I bought some Rjay pants which for me were a little more comfortable than the dririder equivalents, but prolly much of a muchness.
    I also got some summer gloves, and bought some thin thermal gloves to wear underneath in colder months, and just keep them under the seat for when the need arises.
  4. When I lived in Tassie I used the following: Dri-Rider Alpine jacket and pants.
    One of those USA airforce/security bomber jackets underneath.
    Bandana around neck.
    Flannel shirt or woolen jumper.
    Thermal T-shirt underneath.
    Jeans or combat pants.
    Thermal long johns underneath.
    Explorer bushwalking socks.
    Heavy duty combat/bushwalking boots if dry.
    Blundstone PVC Gum boots (now with steel toe caps) if wet. I am not sure if the non steel toe is better, steel gets mighty cold and you may feel that thru your feet. I avoided the steel toe ones myself.
    Goretex ski gloves with synthectic leather palms.
    (Gloves worn under cuffs of jacket if raining.)

Any big army disposal store or Paddy Palins will sell the Explorer socks.
    Try to get the thinnest thermals you can, Damart is good but the material is too thick.

That's what I wore when I rode in the Tassie winter, I did Launceston to Hobart a few times. Also rode around the Great Lake in winter. Everything covered in snow, was a great ride.
    Leave helmet visor open a centimeter, stops visor fogging up when you are riding.
    I often used a moto x helmet and goggles also.
    When stopped at lights, stick upper teeth out over lower teeth, breath in thru nose, blow out thru mouth, downwards over chin. The air that would normally fog up your visor goes out bottom of helmet.
    Goggles fog up when stopped but de-fog in seconds when mobile, you can see thru them better than a visor when it's raining.
    I used Scott OVG Goggles (ones for use over spectacles) I also had the nose protector that clips onto the goggles.

Look on UK military websites and you can find British Army combat boots with waterproofing and a removable gore tex sock.
    UK boot size and Aussie boot size the same.
    USA boot is size 8 to our size 7.

The first ten minutes on the bike is the worst in very cold conditions.
    If you have a naked bike, fit a screen for the winter to keep the icy air off your chest.
    If your chest still gets cold when riding just stick a newspaper down the front. Newspaper insulates really well. (Old time bikers trick.)

You can also fit trail bike style plastic handguards to handlebars to keep cold/wet air off hands.

If you have a bit more money you can buy electrically heated vests, made for riding.

Some guys wore thermal balaclavas also. I never thought it was cold enough for that.

Good luck, enjoy the winter mate. I had fun the year I lived there. Rode pretty much every day.
    Beware black ice, stays around even when the sun is out in shady spots on road. Like where trees overshadow the sun above.
  5. thanks for your replies I will take it on board.

The Nordic 4 dririder jacket has a zip out thermal lining.@ $350.00

The next up pants from nordic 4 are summit 2 with removable thermal lining @ $290.00

thanks again
  6. dont forget something like a turtle neck ...
  7. Do many wear there leathers and put a one piece rain suit on top?
    In winter, or you rug up more?
    I know the one piece will only hold the rain out for so long, but better then nothing i guess :)
  8. Balaclava is a good idea... as for helmets, I think they are all designed exclusively for protection, not warmth. I've never heard of winter and summer helmets, and come to think of it, it's a bit odd. Why don't they make something like that?

Get some thermal underwear - long johns, t-shirts, socks.

Slightly off topic, but if you're going to ride an hour each way, you might want to invest in some earplugs as well... I'd recommend that.

Completely off topic, have you decided yet what bike are you going to get?
  9. If you are not worried about having an Aussie standards sticker on the back of the helmet (and I'm not) you can order a snowmobile helmet from Canada.
    Same price as average bike helmet, much warmer.
    Vents are supposed to direct air over inside of visor to prevent fogging.
    They are as protective as a bike helmet, it's what snow mobile professionals use.