Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Windy - How windy is too windy?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by I Adore Vic, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Hey all. Just wondering whether any of you ride in really windy weather or not. Today's been pretty blowy here on the Island and I'm wondering what tomorrow's going to be like - hopefully better than today. The freaking gusts here are shaking the upstairs.

Are there riders out there who commute on days such as today? I'm back to commuting tomorrow (school resumes) and am not looking forward to a 2hr, dark (leave at 6am) cold, most likely wet and windy commute. Got no choice but to do it, but I do it with the knowledge I wont be doing it forever ;)

So do you ride in wind such as what we had today?

2. i rode down the great ocean road and up to Melbourne a few weeks ago and it was 40 + knot winds (80 +kph). Its pretty annoying on my bike because i have no wind protection at all. The bike tends to get knocked around ALOT and i have to lean into the wind for most of the open parts where the wind really hits you hard. Can be done though, exercise great caution if riding near trees as you wouldn't want a branch to hit you (one nearly hit me!)

p.s - we met on the ride down the GOR last week! :)
  3. Suck it up Princess!!! :p
  4. :shock:

Well I know where to go if I'm ever after sympathy and support. :roll: :LOL: :LOL:
  5. Hey Nathan! Good to see you're on here. :) Good advice on the trees - another thing to look out for are stray milk crates...lol. There was one playing pinball on the PI bridge yesterday - lucky I was in the car.
    I've done a fair bit of riding in strong winds but this post above was more a whinge about it. Am sick of it. It never used to bother me as I always enjoy time on the bike, but now I'm just - meh - about it. Sick of the commute in shiteful weather. Whinge whinge....blah blah...whinge whinge.... :LOL:
  6. its never too windy as long as you can get comfortable, i once took a right hander with enough lean angle to take a marked 95km/h lefty (yes i went around a righty leaning left) :LOL:
  7. :LOL: @stewy

The wind hasn't stopped me riding to work and back .. admitedly it sure can be a little scary at times. Wind seems to get worse the closer I get home.
    I dare say it wouldn't be as bad as it is in PI Rosie.