Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Windscreen scratches

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by 7THSIN, May 18, 2006.

1. I've bought a spare windscreen for my track bike but it's got some light scratches on it, nothing deep, but it detracts from the look and vision.

Does anyone know of any products that will 'polish'/remove these kind of scratches/marks off bike screens, it's a Genuine Suzuki screen so it's the thicker style screen, not the ultra thin race ones.

I know you can buy products to clear up plastic car headlight covers as they start to 'frost' and fade, but I dont know if it will work on bike screens.

P.S. - I searched and couldnt find anything to do with windscreens and scratches, so hopefully this is a new topic.

Cheers :wink:

2. You can try at your own risk:

Toothpaste.

Or failing that:
    A cutting compound (something used to cut N polish).

I used toothpaste on my speedo+tacho and it worked a treat. PATCH TEST a non-vital area of the screen and if you're happy with the results do small areas at a time...

Oh, and to do my tacho & speedo I just put on a dab of toothpaste then rubbed it around with a soft cloth (circular motion if I remember rightly). I then rinsed it off with water and checked the results....then repeated until I was happy.

3. I'll give it a shot, thanks mate :wink:

4. The screen on my old Beemer went yellow from age and the sun, apart from the million of scratches it collected from years of dirt road touring.
    In the end I just sprayed it black.
    Looks very stealth.
    I never looked through it anyway.

5. Brasso is great for getting scratches out of perspex. It takes a lot of elbow grease but works well.

Warning.....Don't use anything other than your left or right hand and a cloth. In other words, don't try to cheat and use a polisher or buffer to speed up the process.

On some screens, there is a protective film over both sides. This easily scratches up and looks crap. I managed to remove this film and got a whole new screen for the price of a roll of sticky tape(the sticky tape just peels the film off and leaves you with a clear looking screen again). Try the tape on your screen first before using brasso.

6. The toothpaste thing works a treat :)

There's definately no film on this screen Sugar, but thanks for the tip!

7. Yep, been cleaning aircraft canopies with it since Pontius was a pilot. Start with a fairly dry mix and then thin it progressively with water, works a treat.

8. have you heard of google?

9. No, does it come in a can or tube? :LOL:

Toothpaste huh? Another use for a humble household product. Just like condies crystals and glicerine :wink: