Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Windscreen Repair

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Dazza, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Before this post gets deleted my moderation

Has anyone had there car windscreens repaired at all. I remember that windscreens can be fixed if the crack/chip is tiny.

I have a small crack and just wondering if its worth it at all.

Cheers :cool:

2. A silicon plug can be inserted to prevent a crack from getting worse - ie spreading to an edge, compromising the seal, requiring new windscreen.

This doesn't make the crack go away - just stops it getting worse.
    So yes: if you have a small crack that does not leak OR affect your visibility and you are happy to have it left there; you may be able to have the windscreen 'repaired' rather than replaced.

This information is based on talking to the windscreen guy when he plugged a crack in the screen of the family Commodore on the way back from QLD about... 10 years ago :p

*after 3.8 seconds of googling*

So whaddaya know - they CAN make some cracks etc go away
    http://www.windscreenrepairs.com.au/

3. yeah the crack is about the size of a 5 cent coin not a biggy but i have had cracks left un-attended to watch them grow.

I know of the principle of fixing them, just wanting to know if anyone has had this done and does it fix the prob long term.

4. hey Dazza had a few fixed over the years and yep no worries at all. Although I don't keep cars for more than a couple of years, boring bloody things they are! :LOL: :LOL:

5. thanks mate, thats good enough for me :grin:

Now to find a local bloke to weave his magic

6. I bought a car in NSW, then had to drive it back to Melb, crack from a stone flicked up on the way home down the Hume.

Couldn't get a VIC roadworthy on it with the crack, so got it fixed.. Passed RWC no probs .. I can't even find where the crack was now. Cost about $80 ( I think ) 4mths back at Windscreens Obrien.

Cheers

7. Had 2 of them done - one of them twice in different spots. Well worth, and of course a lot cheaper than replacement. If the crack - and thus repair - is in within the sweep/path of the windscreen wipers, then the crack makes it unroadworthy, regardless of repair/patch or not. Because of this, some windscreen places will refuse to patch it if it's in the wipers sweep.

8. Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated. Yeah I am lucky its outside the wiper range (just) but was a little nervous to go down this road as i never tried it in the past and never knew anyone who had.

9. You could try NOVUS, too, they started out making a specialty of fixing chips and scratches.......

10. We just replaced the windscreen in the Jackaroo - $200.

Claimed it on our RACV insurance, they will replace one a year with no effect to our policy. :grin:

11. New screen under $200 for most cars. Repair about $80- $100. I would not consider a repair unless the screen was worth $500. The resin they use to repair will break down with UV so will be visible after a while. Chances are that your screen will be sand blasted anyway. We repair the screens on used cars sometimes as we are charged $60 at trade and they will fix a couple of chips for that price.

12. I use sticky tape. :)

I don't think it's legal but it seems to stop the crack getting bigger (unless you carry a big arse canadian canoe on a magna down a cattle track at speed). :oops: :LOL: