Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Windscreen for Naked GS500?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by melbas, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Are they readily available/easy to source?

i.e can i just walk to my local Suzuki dealer and get them to order one?

Reason i ask is just to reduce a little of that buffeting for long periods of cruising at highway speeds.

Cheers guys
  2. I think there is an official Suzuki fairing, probably pricey though.
    You can order them off the internets for about $200. A little one like a flyscreen.

Or, you could seek 'alternate' sources.

3. That protect you much mate?

Where exactly would one attain these "alternate" windscreens?
  4. Yep. Hit's the top of my helmet but I'm 6'4 so to the average person, you can't get much better unless you were in some form of bubble.

Mines of an 84' GSX.
    Just find one that looks the part and with any luck you'll get it to fit.
    I'm going to put some aluminium strips down the bottom to cover the connections and make it match with the frame.
  5. I stuck a new MCAS F-16 Sports thingy on my ER-5 - offers a reasonable amount of protection and was relatively straightforward to fit. Just under $150 inc postage......
    Mine is solid (shiny) black rather than heavy tint...

Pretty hapyy...
  6. Would that fit a 06 GS500?

I'm looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzu...012QQitemZ220247118831QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thoughts? It says it will fit a GS500.. reckon it'd be hard to install?

Think it would it offer much protection say cruising at 100?
  7. Out of curiosity, are you trying to reduce buffetting (head being shaken around by turbulant air) or pressure on the chest?

Quite often, windshields reduce the chest pressure but introduce buffetting (turbulance), particularly on taller/steeper shields. You may have to try different sizes/shapes to find what works best for you.
  8. I'd say the head shaking spots, it's especially evident past 120ish.

Chest pressure isn't an issue. Interesting point you make though, i think i'll hold off on getting a windshield
  9. I'm about to get a different windshield for the Tiggly, myself - A lot of us are finding that the stock shield buffets quite a bit due to its distance from the rider and its height.... It's a good height; it aims the air at the neck of most riders, above the body but below the helmet. It's just "dirty" air.

The solution for Tiger 1050 owners appears to be either to go lower (sports-shield) so that there's smooth, clean air leaving the tip of the windshield, or go much higher and add a laminar lip, Touring Bike style, to shoot the air over the top of the helmet completely.

On the VTR250 I found that I could get a good blend of wind protection and lack of buffetting with an F16 windshield from National Cycle and a tankbag to "fill in the gap" between my chest and the shield.
  10. I've been playing around with the angle of the 'shield (including a coupleof cable-ties to the mirror stalks to prevent excesive shaking at low rpm) and have arrived at a satisfactory position - I think!

Very little wind on stomach or chest, some wind on helmet and tops of shoulders at 80kph +.

It is a whole lot better than without (felt like getting off the bike on the freeway after a few tens of minutes at 100/110) and makes my ride much more enjoyable.

Now playing around with rubber adhesive strips to reduce reflected glare from headlight and indicators from the very shiny black underside at night....maybe I'll get a tourer next time (as I promised I would this.... :grin: )