Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Windows Vista disc?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by undii, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Hi, I just bought a brand new video card to give me DX10 (gaming) love just in time for the Xmas release of games. The card is an 8800GT. Also got it for $30 cheaper than current selling price due to buying it in the first day it sold. Lots of orders = it now sells $30 dearer. Anyway, side tracking too much..

My question is, does anyone (from Melbourne?) have Windows 32bit Vista that they can lend to me while I install it (I have my own serial, I just can't find the bloody disc atm! :evil: ) and I'll give it back then. Far as I know, the Vista disc has every version on it and you just choose at install which version you want to install. Or know how I can get a hold of a Windows Vista disc. I'm told people can get it to trial it but that doesn't happen for Australia :roll: Any help would be appreciated :grin:

2. why do you need the vista CD? :?:

In case you need the drivers..., no vista cd will have them as this is a new card. It might has computable drivers but not the new drivers. Why don't ya download them online from here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.02.html

Now with this free advice comes along some preaching :shock:
    Ancient Greeks said: Every limit is a good limit. So if you are so keen in gaming, put a limit to it, 1-2 or 10 hours a day. any limit will do as long as you don't waste your life in front of a screen. There are ladies out there waiting to enjoy your company. There are also libraries but thats something else. So put a limit in your addiction and live a life too..

3. Microsoft has only allowed DX10 to run in Vista, not XP at all. So if I want to see DX10 graphics. I need to install Vista with the card in my machine. I got the card today, ran a benchmark for people who know/care about them..

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8800gt1qn0.jpg

12054 in 3dmark 06 in XP. I really want to see if DX10 _looks_ better in my view and stuff... Just gotta find where I put the disc I had of it like 4-5 (6?) months ago. :?

4. haha sure thing *hands over original

5. Ahhh, all good... Found the disc, installed Vista and now seeing what DX10 can give me for eye candy :?: :idea:

Thanks all for offering me the disc for an hour or two :wink:

6. ahhh now i got it.
    It's like you bought a new left front tyre and you ask from someone to give you his Jaguar (or leopard) to try them out (and keep a copy of that Jaguar) :wink:

7. He had a serial. The disc is worthless without a serial. Anyone who has Vista doesn't need their disc except as a backup. Not sure what's with the paranoia.

8. yup, pretty much. It's not possible to make a metaphor about in terms of cars or bikes... at least not that i can think of.

I wonder how long he realises Vista ain't that grand, there are only a few DX10 games out there, and it's not worth "upgrading" to vista :wink:

9. you can get a serial in 5 sec..(google)
    The cd will take you much more than that..
    The hassles after the upgrade will last you a lifetime :LOL:

My metaphor is beautiful :wink:

10. Nah, it was crap.

11. it is just the best you've ever come about.. You just don't know it :LOL:

12. pah, the CD would take me 5 seconds to find as well :p

never mind that i could get a legit version for free from my uni if i wanted...