Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

wind (me or the bike)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by timo66, Apr 10, 2009.

1. I have been riding for 2 weeks now and have been having a fantastic time,i never thought it would be this much fun to be honest.My only concern has been getting used to the wind when going at 100 km/h or more,i feel i am going to get blown of the bike any secound,is it that i am only riding a 250 (zzr) or is it somthing i just have to get used to. THANKS.

2. Hi Tim...
    I'm not the most experienced rider out there..
    but in my short time around netrider this topic has come up exactly one kazillion times.
    Basically what it all boils down to is yes.. smaller bikes are more wind affected.
    But there are common things we do when beginning to ride that makes it worse..

eg.. not relaxing the top half of your body.
    Relax your arms and your grip while gripping the tank with your legs.

theres heaps more to it than that, that I'm sure more experienced riders will elaborate on but practice makes perfect.. keep at it.
    Your doing good.. alot of riders avoid highway speeds for months once there one the road.

have fun
    stay safe

3. ^wot 'e said, gov.

and, avoid vindaloo as well :LOL:.
  4. Just do more highway riding. It gets automatic, you lean the bike in reponse to wind without noticing. Just try to stay within your lane.

imo wind is more dangerous in the street, on roundabouts. A sudden blast can blow you into a curb (happend to a friend of mine), as you are already busy leaning and less able to compensate.
  5. If i remember correctly, in a recent thread, someone got blown off the road going through a corner by a gust of wind, and is now permanently paralysed. do be careful
  6. Damn Lilley, way to instill some confidence there!

Yep - wind at high speed is something you just have to get used to. This has been discussed many times so do a search and pick up some tips.

Keep your cool, get some practice and buy some earplugs.
  7. Also don't forget about the wind coming off the front of large vehicles, particularly when overtaking them.
  8. if you hunch down low the wind doesnt hit you so much. also keep the top half loosey goosey baby, grip with them knees and be able to wobble your elbows.
  9. Hold out your arms and you fly above the cross winds :wink:
  10. Man there was a lot of wind on my bike this morning, must have been all that KFC from dinner last night :wink:
  11. Be careful riding in the wind...especially close to other riders....and the three things that a rider should never do....Skip a bathroom, waste a hardon or trust a fart
  12. What about those EXTREME windy conditions...? like the ones that push your car a metre to the side (well feels like) ?
  13. wind can be a bastard.

Just stick to your principles. If you feel the kung fu grip on the bars, think it through in your head and relax. If a crosswind smashes you compensate by steering into it. There's ways and means to do things and some bikes catch more than others.

The main thing is relax and just follow the checklist of what to do.
  14. You'll be right.
  15. Cheesus!...What IS it, about wind!..

OP....Riding in the wind is like learning to walk on rough surfaces...you just need to develope your balance...Do that, as you would, by remaining relaxed and allowing the bike to move around with you...fighting it, is just a waste of time. Learn to lean against the gusts, and apply the right amount of pressure to your bars/clip-ons, to compensate for the bikes slight changes of direction.

You WON"T get blown off the road, you WON'T be blown out of your lane, unless the wind is fierce and gusty - I'd say at a 100k's plus with gusts to 130k's or so, it would be fair to expect some aggressive rider input to remain reasonably steady...

For normal generally windy conditions, just ride the bike, let it move around underneath you by remaining relaxed, and correct it as required. If you are concerned about your ability to do that, then take a riding course on bike control (the very first thing you should be mastering).

After a week or so, you'll realize that it is Nothing, and you'll just get on with it, and have a bit of a giggle at the challenge.

16. As a learner of 6 months, I ride across a very exposed bridge in Hobart twice a day on my commute. It's a kilometre long and at right angles to the prevailing gales we enjoy in the roaring farties, so it scares me poo-less 90% of the time. That said, even when the postie bike and me have been blown clear from one side of the lane to the other, I haven't fallen off yet.

Just like others have said, being loose and limber helps. The biggest one for me is vision, which is a big part of the brain's balance feedback circuit. I just chant what the instructors at the learner course screamed at us every 30 seconds:

"Head and eyes UP! Head and eyes UP! Head and eyes UP!"

Looking where you're going seems to make the wobbles less serious, even if you're freaking out the passengers in the bus next to you because it looks like you're about to slam into them :shock:
  17. I used to feel uncomfortable in the early days going down Vic road in Sydney over the Gladesville, Iron Cove and Anzac bridges, and I ride a ZZR250 too.
    I've found that after having more experience as a rider and just doing the ride over and over again - now I don't even notice that feeling of about to be blown off like I did before. You'll get your confidence not just in you but in the bike, knowing that it will not just blow away and learning how to control it best as well.
  18. My 3rd day riding today, and i feel the same as you.
    As others have said, i just grip my knees to the bike but its quite uncomfortable due to the thin body.

Im really scared of doing a corner and a gush of win just pushes the wheels and slide me off(if thats possible, i hope not)
  19. +1 to Raven (always great advice at the right price!).

Don't forget SA - Situational Awareness. It's not just for traffic, but general riding conditions.

As you ride around on a windy day, take note of where the wind is coming from, how strong are the tree tops leaning, are they moving violently with gusts? Is there suddenly a lot of debris up ahead being blown around at an intersection (maybe a windtunnel on the cross street so be prepared).

Look at the sky. Are dark clouds approaching? Could be a wind change ahead of it and strong gusts with it.

Large trucks travelling at speed can create strong vortices behind and to the side that can unsettle the bike and also create a bowshock off the front as they push the air aside. Be aware of those and position yourself well away from them. Trucks can have a nasty low pressure zone next to them that can make you feel like you're being sucked into them if you're travelling to close.

Wind is easy to deal with. It's the unpredictable nature of it that is the challenge, but knowing what to look for and look out for can make your riding less stressful.