Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

wind - how much effect?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jphanna, Apr 22, 2012.

1. today was an interesting day for me. i did my usual loop in adelaide hills for my 150km thrash.

i want to state that i dont 'time myself', each time i do this run. i am a cruiser rider and i do just that.....cruise.

my normal way of riding is to pick my line, and try and be as smooth as possible while increasing exist speed, while taking into account posted speed limits etc. very rarely will i pass another rider, but i get passed by sport bike riders regularly.

but today was different. we (adelaide) had a forecast of strong winds and stronger wind gusts.....big deal. i ridden in strong winds before. but i couldnt get into my cornering rythem. i was fighting the bike all day, and i started to wonder if i was tired, upset, any other reason why i couldnt settle into a rythem.

is this normal? do you experience this?
  2. I never feel comfortable in gusty conditions and generally back off in speed. The unpredictability of gusts when you have settled in to a cornering line means it is more tiring.
  3. It depends on the pace, as to how much of an effect it has, but gusting or high wind conditions, effects your balance, and can be quite distracting, and will knock you around.
  4. Depends on if it is beans or burritos that caused the wind.
  5. I have found the wind itself doesn't bother me soo much now that I ride a heavier bike (the 250 was a different story) but how I *react* to the wind. I tend to tense up and tighten all the way to my shoulders. Eventually you end up fighting the bike rather than dancing with it.
  6. well i was told all the '250's get blown around' stories when i had my 250. my old bike was 170kg. the new one is 270kg. it still blows over with strong wind gusts etc.

it probably explains why there was hardly any mbikes on the road that day. normally its a hundreds riding in every direction the hills. well be been spoilt with low 30's and high 20's right up to last weekend. so now its back to normal april weather.
  7. And right there is the problem isn't it? You tighten up, grip harder... and the wind buffeting your upper body is transferred directly to the steering.
    Need to grip a bit more with your knees and less with your arms.
    (Not quite as easy on a cruiser, admittedly).
  8. Yep. That's what I was trying to get at Titus :)
  9. Some roads around here are horrible when it is gusty, riding right on the ridge of the range, you get the full effect of the wind blast. Just stay loose in the arms and if you feel the need to, back off the speed a bit. A slower ride where you hit all your corners just as you intended is much more satisfying than a slightly faster ride where you know you are not getting it just right.
  10. this thead a little old now but,
    i am an L plater and the wind is an issue for me as well, do you crouch forward more even on a cruser?
    jp do you ever get a chance to ride weekdays? i am also a cruiser in adelaide,
    but quite often crusie on a quiet weekday.
  11. I find that if I have strong wind that if I light a match behind it acts like an afterburner and I go faster.
  12. My problem with dealing with wind is to use ear plugs. I dont get why it works, but it does for me. Go figure.
  13. Guys n Girls my experience with the wind,also depends on how strong the direction of wind what youre riding and how heavy the bike is and fairings if you have them,the heavier the bike the less you will get blown around, i try not to fight it but keep adjusting all the time,its when youre going around a curve or bend is when you have to be carefull that you dont get blown across sideways,but straight line is most times predictable.
  14. problem i expierenced last week was i was on port wakefield road heading north and once i got over 80 ks i was getting hammered by the wind.
    at 100k it was unbearable
    v star 650 classic no windscreen, should i crouch forward ? or is that
    not a good idea or simply slow down and buy a screen...?
  15. I have a Vstar 1100 classic with no screen.

Geraldton is the 4th most windy city in the world. I regularly ride home (40kms) into a howling southerly, which is often over 50km/h, with gusts up to 90km/h. The wind does not come directly from in front, but slightly to the right.

With my speed at 110, this means on occasion I am putting up with an effective speed of 160, with bursts to 200. It can get tiring putting up with it.

Cornering needs to be approached with more caution than normal in these winds. I also find passing trucks going the other way a bit of a nightmare. The wash under these conditions is extreme.

I never lean forward. One thing that I find is that I do get used to it, so when I ride without any headwind I need check my speed. Yesterday I was happily doing 140 before the missus asked me what the hurry was, as she couldn't keep up on the 250.

The more you ride the easier it gets...
  16. Middo
    Thankyou for a great reply,
    I will toughen up .!
  17. Some bikes seem to blow over away from the wind, and those are hard to ride in gusty conditions. Others seem to get the wheels blown out from under them, which is good, because it minimizes the amount of correcting the rider has to do. People talk about relaxing, and that's great as long as the bike sorts itself out, but there will be times when you need strong steering inputs and you need them NOW! You've got to do what you've got to do, and sometimes that might be quite forcefully and not very smooth or elegant. Doesn't matter.

Does it help to crouch down on a cruiser? Depends on the bike. Try it and see. Some have a fair old whack of gauges and idiot lights and stuff, and the seat quite low in relation to the tank and the front. It may help a bit.
  18. lol, yeah.

Before I had a windshield I used to crouch forward for periods to rest my arms and back. The upright seating position of a cruiser can make your life difficult. It isn't really the cruiser 'look' people are going for, but even if I did care the histerical laughing and grin I wear when I ride isn't either :)

If you're on a smaller cruiser, be wary of large windshields. They're worth their weight in gold on a heavy cruiser but on a light one in the wind, they can turn into a sail.
  19. Not so much toughen up, as practise in the wind lots. The more you do the easier it gets.
  20. Beware of passing trucks in the wind. If unprepared, you can have a direction change of a metre or more in a strong crosswind as you go in the lee and then emerge as you pass a truck. If you happen to be in a lane position which puts you close to the truck when 1 metre movement happens, then that can be a bad look.

I moto around northern France sometimes and it is often windy as $"£k. 130+km/h speeds + trucks + crosswinds can really give you something to think about.