Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wind: How do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by demuire, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Rode in to work today, and almost stacked it about 20 times, both moving as well as trying to stay upright at traffic lights. I stopped filtering about 5 minutes into the ride when I figured out that I could not ride in a straight line due to gusty winds. Then I figured out that I also had great difficulty keeping in 1 lane on the freeway due to gusty winds. Then I got into the city and found that it was very very difficult to keep the bike upright (I can't put both feet on the ground at once) due to gusty winds...

How do you deal with gusty winds? I tried to keep tense, I tried to relax, neither worked (in fact it felt far worse relaxed). I'm guessing there isn't much I can do about the stopping at traffic lights thing apart from grow taller.

If it is still this windy this evening I think I'm going to leave my bike here and take the train home...
  2. I ride a scooter, but the same principle might still apply - I lean into the scooter handle bars, and grip tighter with my knees etc.

All I can say otherwise is grip your handle bars firmly and anticipate the wind, if that makes sense. Just compensate for it so you don't get pushed too far around in your lane. The last thing you need is to be blown into the lane of another vehicle! Nasty stuff.

Otherwise, ease off the throttle until you feel comfortable.
  3. charcoal tablets

(oh, come on, someone had to stoop to it!)

Seriously, I just go a bit more carefully and stay aware of it, give everything more room and so on.
  4. Avoid eating spicy foods....

5. I try not to fight it, just keep pointed straight and adjust my steering to compensate for each gust.
  6. I certainly don't piss into it that's for sure!

On a more serious note I generally just brace myself, perhaps holding the bars a little tighter but not a death grip. I also reduce my speed in corners so I don't have to lean as far...being caught mid-lean by a sharp gust of wind can give you quite a shock.
  7. When your riding, try leaning into the wind that should keep you straight. When your stopped. Lean with the wind, the streamline effect should allow most of the wind to pass over you without too much drama. Thats what I do, and it seems to work just fine :)
  8. Shake my fist at it and exclaim "One day I will control you!!"
  9. Well after all the grog and crap I ate down the island I found that two Mylanta tabs have helped heaps :p

But seriously just slow down and deal with it as best you can, everyone has there own solution to handling wind, with experiance you'll work something out.

But dont eat any mexican food for awhile and you should be fine
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

sorry couldn't help myself :p
  10. All the good jokes have already been done, so I'll just stick to giving some advice.....

....nobody ride behind him :shock:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. I ride a ZZR250 (fully Fared) which tends to catch the wind a hell of alot and only weighing 49kg's I use to get thrown all over the road. But with some advise from my boyfriend who has been riding for 19 years or more I now find it easier to ride in strong winds :grin: His advise... If you ride faster..lol and i dont mean flat out .. you tend to cut threw the wind, this does help believe me. I also tend to lean more over the tank to become more stream line so the wind goes over me instead of pushing into me.
    Hope that helps :grin:
  12. That's 5 out of 8 replies with a non-serious aspect. Sketchie, Sams and Snowball...you're letting us down!

Damn eager posters, ruining my count while I type it!
  13. the golden rule my friend.
    "ride to the conditions"

fully faired v naked....yeah there is a diff, but not enormous.

technically, you would reduce the surface area that is exposed to the wind, eg. tuck in.

but the safest bet in belting winds is to slow down and dont overstep your ability.
  14. I'm so sorry... I change my statement to.... "Walk instead"

That better? :p
  15. ....definately helps with wind problems.

:mad: :shock: 'scuse me.
  16. :rofl:

mate, i was being soooo serious but you got me.
    naked riding helps reduce wind effect :rofl:
  17. Riding down to Melbourne last Monday the southerly headwind cost me around 40kms for each of the first three tanks full of petrol!! As soon as I turned west to head towards the city, my fuel consumption returned to normal. Riding in the wind does lots of things to your riding. (Mind you, I think that would have been even worse without my little screen....)
  18. Man, I haven't laughed this hard in a while, I'm surprised everybody hasn't jumped on this thread with a title like that!

I really do want offer something helpful to the guy, but everytime I type the word 'wind' into a sentence I lose it.
  19. Just dont buy a one piece leathers or rain suit and you'll be fine.

They both have a tendancy to filter the "wind" up into your helmet. Can be nice on a cold day but can also cause the visor to fog.
    Not to mention looking like the good year blimp in the wet weather when ya let one rip.

I also noticed the other day you have have a bird pillion with you and still get away with it. Cant do that shit in a car now can ya ?? eh ??

Serioulsy though, I found moving to a heavier bike worked wonders. Hardly notice it now compared to the 250. Great stuff.

Just tuck up against the tank the smaller surface area you have the less you will notice it. Also position yourself in the lane just in case you get a sudden gust.

Dont think there really is a trick to it. Luck of the draw my friend./
  20. Use it to your advantage Grasshopper
    (Yes I know I've posted that pic before, I don't care it's still funny :p).