Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wind force

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Jo Anne, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Rode my bike for nearly two hours today and enjoyed every second of it. The only problem I had encountered was the wind force pushing me on the left side of my body. The wind was quite strong while i was riding down sunshine Avenue doing 80kms. It was pushing me towards the right lane and made me wobble a little so I slowed down. I know you can't control mother nature but the thought brought to mind whenever I drove my car and some massive vehicle drives by you can feel the wind push your car, now imagine when you are on your bike.

Can you advise how to combat a situation like that?
  2. hug the bike....had the same issue on a ride once...went from left hand wheel track to right side at the drop of a coin...ever since...although it's still hard controlling it at points it's still tolerable by simply leaning forward with stomach/chest just over fuel tank and elbows down to the side of the bike with your head down...if you already do this...then i both suck and fail...so apologies.
  3. Jo Anne, there's a Brazillian posts up here about wind and how to deal with it.

Do it first in the 'Show Threads' and if you're still curious, go 'Show Posts'
  4. Plenty of wind riding threads - search is your friend.

In a nutshell though, the trick is to remain loose in the arms (shoulders and elbows) and responding to/countering the deviations the wind causes to the bike. By remaining loose you minimise the inputs that YOU put into the bars due to the wind throwing your body around. If you're not loose and your upper body moves around, you will transmit that movement into the bars as a steering input.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Eat less beans or lift the other cheek.
  6. Could be the chilli!! lol

In all seriousness the threads have priceless info by experienced riders, worth taking the time to read up on.
  7. Oh that's what it was ..... hahahahahaha that explains the extra burst of speed while riding hehehehehe.
  8. I find that being fat helps in the wind :D Gravity is on my side.
  9. :rofl:
  10. Relax and keep looking straight ahead. Focus ahead as you normally would and it'll help return you to your line after each gust.
  11. Not to mention that if you are a bit chubby, you tend to be well rounded too - good for the aerodynamics!
  12. Pretty much what robsalvv said - relax.

For most Noobs the bad effects of the wind are mainly psychological, except that they react to it and end up maing things worse. Relax and it is mostly the occasional gentle wobble.

And if you do use search you will find I have said this before too:LOL:
  13. I would advise against doing this because...
    Moving forward onto the tank will almost certainly cause someone who isn't experienced with body position to transmit their weight onto the bars through their hands, making the problem worse. The trick is to do what you said but to grip the tank with your knees + footpegs with feet. If you can't wave your arms a bit like a chicken without steering the bike you're gripping too hard

I've also heard that dropping a gear may help stability by causing your engine to act as a gyroscope a bit more effectively? Is there any truth to this? I haven't found it to do anything noticeable this far...
  14. Hey I learned a new trick recently. I did a 6 hour ride in torrential queensland rain whilst it was blowing about 70-80kph. I did 250km of it until I stopped into a famous little town and bought some ear plugs. Now I have learned to deal with wind gusts, I grip the tank and lean forward (chicken wings, nice and loose), but for some reason with the earplugs in I noticed the effect even less, and I actually noticed how the bike behaved.

When you are loose (easier to do with earplugs in and without wind noise) the bike does lean over, but bikes dont like to turn, they like to go straight, so with no input on the bars they just keep going. Tighten up on the bars, and when the wind blows from the left, you grip more on the left which pulls the left hand side of the bar to you, guess which way that makes you steer? You steer to the right, or away from the wind.

I am sold on the earplugs now. Removing the wind noise as a distraction makes a huge difference. You dont get the fright from wind gusts, and you concentrate more in riding. The one problem is (as I found out on the weekend) is that removing wind noise also makes it hard to judge your speed, so be carefull. I copped a 114kph in a 100kph zone ticket on the weekend because I was not paying attention to the speedo, and the typical wind noise did not alert me to it. For the record, I normally sit on 110, but when I saw the disco lights i looked at my speedo and was doing 120.

Just a late addition: As well as the bike leaning over when the wind blows from your left, you do also. IF you sit in a chair and pretend you are riding a bike (hands up on the bars) and fix your arse to one spot on the seat and keep your hands in one spot (where the bars would be), then lean your upper body and torso right as if the wind was blowing you over from the left, see what your hands do. Your hands push on the right hand bar.

After a while, you get used to where wind gusts come from (I am a sailor, so its even easier for me) but gaps between buildings, bridges over creeks, between mountains etc. Watch the trees and look for leaves and crap blowing over the road.
  15. When you loosen the arms and let the bike lean (the wind will blow the bottom of the bike more than the top), the steering geometry turns the bars into the wind. This sets up the required force opposite to the wind, and keeps the bike going straight. When the gust goes away, the turn of the bars will push the bottom of the bike back under you, and the bars will return to the straight-ahead position.

How do you do this? Relax your arms completely, let the wind cause the bike to lean, and let the bike "ride itself". The bottom of the bike will vary in its position, but you'll do barely more than lean a bit. The hard part is staying relaxed and not intervening (AKA: making it harder for yourself). Just relax, give yourself plenty of room, and you're probably going to be fine. :D