Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wind Chill Factor

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by randy_rider, Nov 20, 2006.

1. When I was learning to ride, I was told that the wind chill when you are riding was around -7 degrees per 100km/hr.

On cold days, I've found it to be feel much colder than the ambient temp due to wind chill, but on hot days it feels pretty much the same.
    So I went looking for an explanation for this discrepancy.

I found a BOM page that explains this

There's a graph that shows that wind chill factor amount increases as the ambient temp drops and decreases as the ambient temp increases.

So what is actually happening is that the hotter it gets, the less chill effect you feel from wind. Conversely the colder it gets the more wind chill you will feel from the same speed wind.

2. Yep.
    The colder it is, the more your nipples stick out.

THEREFORE greater surface area to feel the wind on.

3. Yeah but for guys other things shrink so wouldn't total surface area be reduced (unless their nipples are bigger :p :LOL:).
  4. Yep, it depends on ambient.

The other interesting thing is there are actually 2 different models. Also both of them are really designed around temperature in the vicinity of 0 deg C.

the result is when you plug in numbers typically witnessed on a motorcycle they generally don't work that well.

One model is much better then the other above 5 degrees, but still doesn't make much sence over 10 degrees