Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Win7 - which version?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DarkHorse, Dec 10, 2009.

1. I'm going to upgrade from Vista, and just wondering about which version to go to.

My main question is about backward compatibility vs future compatibility - the fact that you have to choose between 32 and 64-bit versions. The XP-mode available in Pro and Ultimate sounds like a good thing, am I safe to assume it works for old 32-bit apps to run in the 64-bit version of the OS? Or only XP64 apps? The run-downs I've seen state that the XP-compatability module require an extra gig of RAM (up to 3GB for 64-bit + XP - seems like a lot for an OS that's meant to be running leaner...) and extra 15GB of HDD space...

Any main differences between Pro and Ult that would be worth the extra $100 or so?

Finally, Hornet - I read in your monitor thread you got Pro really cheap... was that with the new computer, through you ed contacts, or...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  2. Windows 7 in both 64 bit and 32 bit versions is available to anyone with a valid uni/TAFE/Education Department email address for $49.95 for each version, $11 extra for the medium on disc (as opposed to a 6gb and 4gb download).

Go to www.itsnotcheating.com.au and try your email; if it works, Robert is your father's brother

I've installed the 64 bit version on a new PC, AMD 64 bit, 4gb Ram, 500gb drive, and apart from the aforementioned monitor problem, and the fact that my 15 year old Bible programme doesn't work any more, it's terrrific.

{Full-house version of Office is also available on that site for $75.00}
  3. Excellent to know about that, Hornet - just bought an Eee netbook for my daughter for her birthday, and it only comes with Works, so Office for cheap (she's at uni and I work at uni) is a good thing...

In terms of 64-bit, my opinion, based on XP-64, is that in some ways it's not quite ready for prime time. It works, but so many old drivers and things don't have 64 bit versions that it ends up being a bit of a pain sometimes - and fatal to what you want to do sometimes. Windows 7 64-bit might be less niche than the XP version, but still if you have old stuff and old drivers it could be an issue. Better on a new machine that only uses new software... Sounds like it's a fair bit weightier too: and with still not all that many apps taking advantage of it, maybe the only real big advantage is being able to address more than 4 GB of RAM...

Just 2c worth - your call.
  4. You're a brave man running Office 2007 Professional on a netbook :LOL: ......
  5. I guess we'll see: it's one of the newer ones, so it's an Atom n270 @ 1.6 GHz with a gig of RAM and a 160 GB hdd... I think I have an academic version at home already that I can throw on it to try it out...
  6. ...and it runs XP, so the OS is a lot lighter...
  7. Ubuntu 9.10 ;)
  8. Two heads and you still can't think of a relevant answer to a question.....
  9. Thankyou (most of you) for the responses...

I don't have an edu e-mail of any sort any more unfortunately, so there goes that idea. City Software are doing Pro Upgrade for $330 inc GST, ITstuff.com.au has it for $296, SkyComp on-line for $305... (that's for the DVD, not download) - anyone know of anywhere that retails it for less?

In terms of the 64-bit quandry it's more my software than hardware that I'm worried about - I know the laptop is Win7 ready, it's the apps/games etc that I have collected over the last few years that concern me - some of them VERY expensive to have to upgrade (think AutoCAD, pro audio editing etc) I also want to be somewhat future-proof in coming years...

No suggestions about Ultimate over Pro? The only major things in MS blurbs are the advanced encryption BitLocker thing and support for 35 languages, neither of which I have much need for - sounds like Pro will do fine.
  10. Thanks for that link Paul...looks like I'm eligible!
  11. My first answer would be OpenSuse 11.2 but I guess that's not very helpful :)

Based on my long time experiences of XP-64 I think that's way off base. It's been very stable for years and driver support has never been an issue for me on multiple high end systems with some very unique hardware profiles. When you are talking Windows 7 keep in mind that your old drivers if they aren't signed will be a pita to use with Windows 7 anyway as it's a requirement that they are with the new kernel.

Also be mindful that this kernel was developed as 64bit only and that they released a 32bit version to stop the crying of some consumer groups. In fact all server versions now going forward since 2008 R2 are 64bit only so all vendors are putting their efforts into that.

I would be more concerned about your software just running on win7 then the 64bit platform, if the software can't use the instructions it won't and all the 32bit ones are there. With software on 64bit the only drama's people ever really run into are pathing ones and thats what junction points are for. If your software runs on 32 bit win7 it will run on 64 bit win7. Even with XP-64 I am yet to find an app that won't run.

as for versions I would just get the OEM 64bit Ultimate, it's like 200 bucks from Umart and then you have it all.
  12. Fair enough, diomac - my experience is one machine, and I had hassles with things like a wireless modem having no drivers at all. There were a few other things I had to tweak... and if I didn't have the skills and confidence to do that it might have been a deal-breaker. But I definitely acknowledge that others have broader and different experience... all my posts come with YMMV and FWIW and 2c and other such disclaimers and warning labels...
  13. I've got a netbook running Win7RC and Office 2007 and I haven't had any problems. Performance in general is less than a 'real' PC but that's to be expected given the weaker hardware. It runs aero stuff well too but I've turned that off to save some battery life.

I just got a new PC recently with Win7 Home Premium and I haven't had any problems with that either really. It runs 32bit software fine (so far). The only 'problem' I've had with it is that Home Premium doesn't natively allow you to use unsigned drivers. There are a couple of ways to get around it but it would've been a bit more convenient if unsigned drivers worked out of the box.

Wiki has a useful table comparing the different versions.
  14. In Short, if you don’t want to join the machine to a domain, you don’t need to go above Home Premium, Yes there are some whistles and bells but they aren’t that impressive

32 Vs 64 bit…
    Unless you want to use over 3.25Gb (or whatever it is) of RAM, there is no reason to go for 64 Bit, but support is now solid as long as you don’t have an abundance of legacy hardware. (See Hornets Monitor woes) (And some older games won’t want to play nice either)

I personally will probably Go Pro when I go 7, but I run a Domain at home because I am a Geek.
    I also will probably go 64 bit simply to leverage that other 2/3rd of a Gig of ram I have going to waste at the moment.
  15. Thanks nerds! Appreciate the help, even if I couldn't translate all of it!
  16. I am running 64 bit win 7 and actually playing max payne 2 about 2/3 way through and chaos theory right now. They are running perfect. Win 7 is a great upgrade.
  17. Umart have Pro for $180ish delivered to Sydney, but you have to buy a bit of hardware for it to come with :roll:
  18. It's worth noting that processors have been designed for native 64 bit capability for a while now, so you might find some performance gains (in things without driver or other software issues) provided you have enough memory installed. My already-old Athlon 4600 X2 runs 32 bit XP great, thanks to being made with good 32 bit mojo, but it's for 64 bit running and I should expect that it'll serve me fine for a while yet (with support from other good hardware like enough fast memory and a decent hard drive). Chances are I'll get around to an OEM version of 7 whenever I bother and run both during the shakedown period. I did this with 98SE and XP SP1 and found I very quicky moved to XP, since it was mostly just a case of getting familiarised with it.

If you have a full version of XP on disc, you could do worse than to set up a dual boot with XP and 7, so you can have your cake and eat it. If or when everything you need/want to run on 7 is eventually sorted, you can make the transition at your leisure, plus it sounds like it'll be more resource-friendly and cheaper that way.

As you mention, an OEM version is a good prospect since you generally only have to buy one piece of internal hardware from at least some sellers. I like having the full version on disc, and there's always some hardware you can add or upgrade (like memory or hard drive) that makes it all the more worth doing.
  19. Windows 7 kicks ass. I have the Ultimate 64 bit version.
    It absolutely rips Vista speed wise. It's way less of a resource hog.
    Looks and feels like Vista only way better.
    Everything runs much faster (very noticable in games, movies, browsing).

I will soon install the 32 bit version on our notebook and netbook.
    Read some reviews that show it being faster than even XP on netbooks.