Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Willy Wonka's Snozberries.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Little-known sci-fi fact: The incredibly filthy joke hidden in Willy Wonka

"The strawberries taste like strawberries! The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!"

We've known for decades that Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was a wonderfully subversive film, littered with nuggets that'd never find their way into a children's film today. But imagine our surprise to find an incredibly dirty joke hidden in plain sight. Or, rather, plain sound.

Here's the deal: In 1979, Roald Dahl, the same bloke who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 15 years prior, wrote a decidedly adult novel called My Uncle Oswald. As Cracked describes it:

The equally witty and disgusting story revolves around Oswald Hendryks Cornelius, the titular uncle and "greatest fornicator of all time." Along with his sexy accomplice Yasmin Howcomely, he devises a complicated get-rich-quick scheme that involves Howcomely seducing Europe's most famous men and then selling used condoms full of their spent semen to women wishing to birth famous progeny.
    Hurm. Well. So, there's a passage in the book where Ms. Howcomely details her encounter with George Bernard Shaw and her difficulties in getting the noted author to wear a prophylactic:

"There's only one way when they get violent," Yasmin said. "I grabbed hold of his snozzberry and hung onto it like grim death and gave it a twist or two to make him hold still."
  2. Read that on Cracked this morning. Must get some of Roald Dahls more adult books :)
  3. In other Roald Dahl trivia, the BFG was the only giant with white skin, and Matilda was originally a rotten little girl who rebelled against her parents.
  4. Had the vice principle explain some of Roald Dahl's books to us in year 4. Not the sort of books people want children reading these days.

Remember the shit storm when Chopper wrote a book?
  5. People seem to think Enid Blyton had some personal agenda too.

6. Mr Dahl is, IMHO, a spiritual successor to the originators of old fashioned fairy tales. The underlying theme in all his children's books are that the good are eventually rewarded, the (wonderfully grotesquely cariacatured) bad come to a richly deserved, and usually rather inventive, sticky end, there are plenty of deliciously eeeuuuurrgh! moments on the way and enough clever humour that the grown-ups don't get bored. They're great even if not particularly politically correct.

Enid Blyton, OTOH, personal agenda or not, was a truly ghastly woman and, having read a few to my daughter, again IMHO, few of her books have much in the way of lasting merit. I do find it amusing, though, that modern manifestations of Noddy have the Golliwogs replaced by Goblins.

Incidentally, having grown up in a fairly monocultural area of the UK and been largely unaware of blackface type cariacatures, I was originally under the impression that golliwogs were little creatures in their own right and remained blissfully unaware of their rather less innocent origins until a surprisingly late age. I was never terribly comfortable with the idea that Robertsons blackcurrant jam appeared to be (based on my four year old interpretation of TV advertising) made of them though.
  7. Dunno about ghastly woman, but I think if I were to try read her books again I would give up pretty quickly. However, she kept me enthralled from when I first started to read her books in year 2, probably to about year 4 by which time I'd finished everything she had written and started back from the beginning again. I enjoyed Dahl's books but they were never really the mystery/thriller type. On the topic of replacement, I don't think there is much left of Blyton's works that is still untainted.
  8. Speaking of old fashioned English mystery/thriller type books, did you know that A. A. Milne wrote one (The Red House Mystery) in the 1920s? TBH I found it to be unremarkable and formulaic and I'm rather glad he ended up sticking with his kids books but it was an interesting digression nonetheless.
  9. Had no idea. Was never a big whinny the pooh fan
  10. Never heard of snozzberries being anything other than snot. That Cracked article seems to be the only one source of it having another meaning so I doubt its accuracy, especially given it is derived from a magazine full of youthful humour.