Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Will someone explain how this can happen?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Aug 26, 2011.

1. http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...nd-bars-for-life/story-e6frfku0-1226122958541

We talk about the law a lot here, but can someone seriously explain to me how this man was paroled twice for murder and has only now been gaoled for life for his third??? I'm not 'shock-horror-ing'; awful things go on all the time in this wicked world, but on what grounds can the law hand out the sentences it did before finally doing what it should have done the first time??
  2. Laws only mirror society
  3. Not completely related, but I've never understood how a "life" sentence here is… 20 years.
  4. The first two murders were carried out before his first sentence. So this is the first time that the judge can take the prior convictions into account in sentencing. It seems quite shocking at first, but when you read the details you can see how it happened. But yes 21 years jail is not enough for two murders.
  5. Because the option for life is involved. So, if they don't screw up and make the parole board happy, they're out at the min amount (parole due date). If they do screw up, parole board doesn't let them out for "life".

I've got no problem with those that make life changes and show remorse for their actions, everyone gets a second chance to some extent, but 3 times? Bit odd...
  6. nm...

7. Average life expectancy of australians.
  8. shit, im 20 so it can only be days until i die.

time to go for a nice big fast ride.
  9. Yes. It's all based on old British law, from a time when one's yellow teeth tended to turn fatally septic within 20 years.

An age when you could purchase a whole night's worth of kisses for only a ha'penny.
  10. 'Life' was 25, not 20. Parole came open (unless otherwise specified in the sentence with a non parole period) at half sentence. If you were good, you could be out in twelve and a half. Most got knocked back on the first couple of applications, so 14 ~ 15 was more common.

Then people began to kick up a stink, so the meaning of 'Life' got a whole lot more negotiable. As I understand it today, some people get 'Life' at 25 years, and some get 'Life' where they mean what they say. The option exists today, to give 'Life - never to be released.' It's not often used.

You know a funny thing? Go to jail and meet people, and you learn a few things. Show me a person with a mile long rap sheet, small offences or large, and I'll show you a scumbag. But show me a lifer who has only ever been convicted of one thing, and much of the time, I'll show you a perfectly normal and presentable human being, a person who has been put in an impossible situation once in their lives and lost it in the most extreme way. Most of the time, they're by far the nicest and safest and most pleasant people to hang around with. Mostly.
  11. Sorry on the 25 v 20 thing, you're right :) But why not call it a 25 year sentence with possibility of parole? I swear, common sense goes right out the window when you're a lawmaker.
  12. Well my understanding is that the possibility of parole is typically applied. Admittedly, my understanding comes from news reports of various sentences being handed out. It's almost a standard, X amount of years non-parole plus a few more if they've been a bad boy.
    But in answer to your question, well how long is a length of rope? The practical difference between 20 and 25 years isn't all that great even if it might be an extra 25% in time, you're still going to miss at least an era or two of an average persons life.