Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Will my battery last?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Motobecane51, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Hi fellow riders

I have new Suzuki Boulevard C50T which I bought this year (with a new battery) and plan to go overseas for 5 weeks.

I don't want to disconnect the battery and the bike is stock with no added accessories like alarm that would require power from the battery.

Will the battery be fine and not go flat after 5 weeks of inactivity?

2. Most modern batteries and bikes it should be fine.

On the other hand, can I ask why you don't want to disconnect the battery? Just take the earth terminal off.
  3. What he said....
  4. Thanks

The only reason I'd rather not disconnect the battery is because the battery is below the driver seat and the seat will have to be removed for access to disconnect.

Its not a huge job but if that can be avoided, that means more time for me to ride : ).

Actually does it make a difference if I just turn off the bike versus disconnecting the battery?

What part of the bike would need electricity if it is turned off?

Thanks a lot

5. You did it on older bikes because the electrics were always a bit "leaky". Modern bikes should be better.

You may need to reset the clock (if it has one) if the bike has an electronic style speedo, but that's about it
  6. Does it have an alarm? The low current draw over time will drain the battery. Having said that though, 5 weeks might be ok for a good strong battery even with the current drain.
  7. A trickle charge ranges in cost from $19.95 - $39.95 for a basic one at Battery World.
  8. There is no alarm on the bike

Yes it has a clock that I did not think about.... I guess that would drain the battery, though very little.

9. If you go for a trickle charger, spend a little more and get one of the better brands that has several modes of analyzing, full charging, and maintenance charging. You can ruin a good battery by overcharging so your charger needs to have some "smarts" in it to know the battery condition. I have two models of CTEK (the 3.8 for the bike and a 5.0 Test & Charge for bigger jobs), but there are other good brands on the market, Battery World sells a good range as mentioned by Don above.

The better chargers also come with pig-tail quick-disconnect terminals so you can have a water-proof plug mounted at a convenient spot that is permanently hooked up to the battery terminals, then just pull the charger plug when ready to ride.

I used to have the battery minder style plug packs that worked great for a couple of years when we were in Canberra, but since moving to Tassie they have all failed (3 of them now) in the past 12 months. I believe the mains voltage down here is higher (measured it during the day up at 260v) which has fried the guts out of these $20 battery minders.
  10. Get a good trickle charger and put the pig tail plug on the battery, problem solved forever.

Also getting under the seat shouldn't be a big job, 30mins one afternoon before you leave and you'll be much more confident the battery won't be flat.

Also Barry, give your power company a call, aus reg is 230v +10% -6% so if you're consistently seeing 260v they have a fault. Ask your neighbours if they're blowing globes, you're probably not the only one experiencing high voltages.
  11. Yes, I hadn't put it down to excess mains voltage until I looked closer at my solar power inverter, I heard it switching on and off a fair bit when I was doing some reno work on that side of the house. The Vgrid was getting up to 262v just prior to it shutting down, I placed a multimeter on a lead in a power point next to it also read the same high voltage.

I was just about to call the solar people to check the inverter just to rule it out as the problem when a note from the power company appeared in the letter box, we would be losing power for an hour whilst they did some essential maintenance.

I had kept the multimeter on the powerpoint and it read 257v just before the scheduled power outage and 242v when they restored it, hasn't been over 247v since. So I'm assuming there had been some other complaints and the power company had tapped the street transformer to lower the voltage. Our house is the last on the line, wonder how high it was further up the road.
  12. Just park it at the top of a very steep hill before you go away.................. if the battery's flat when you come back, easy to just bump it. Simples.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Before you take off, take it for a good ride (30 mins or so) this will put charge back into the battery. That way when you leave it'll be at the top of its game. If it's a decent battery it should be OK.