Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Will I drop a Yamaha XVs650A

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Syd_Chiro, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone...... great site this. I am as green as they come and have learnt so much from this site already. Thankyou to everyone! I still have a question that is more individual and thus no answer available as of yet, it is in relation to having no experience.>>>> I am doing my L's test next week and really want to buy a cruiser after i whip the tests butt. However i have learnt from this site thati will more than likely tire with a 250 very quickly and as such want to go straight to a more power LAM approved bike in th Yamaha XVS650A classic. It looks great (still yet to sit on one) and I am hoping it with be a beastie sounding and feeling bike cause thats what I crave. No I am a rugby prop. 100 kegs very stocky and dont want to look silly on a bicycle looking bike so hoping the 650A will accomodate but i am reading so much on here about people trashing and 'dropping' there bikes when they are new so with a very long winded introduction what i am asking is will I waste $11000 if I buy a nice new bike on my L's.....I mean does everyone trash there first bike???? I really want a new one as it seems i will have a greater chance on resale if i get off restrictions (or I may stay with the 650 if it suits) but it seems silly to put around $6500 for a used that is 10 years old when a new is only $3000 grand more and will end up resalling for a better return but with no riding experience I'm not sure if spending the cash new is a massive mistake??? Can anyone assist me???? Cheers guys and gals. :grin:

2. Its not a given that you will drop your first bike. The chances are higher and higher still at about 12 months I think. If you like the 650 and you think you can handle it then go for it.
    In my opinion you could spend a year or so on a used 250 (or used any bike) and learn roadcraft on something "disposable". You can sell it for close to what you paid if its looked after and then upgrade. You may then be in a situation that you want (there is never a need) something bigger than the 650 anyway.
    $4000 will get you on the road easy. Suck it and see.

That will be 2c please :wink:
  3. Hi and welcome.

The 650 is a great bike ,looks the goods and its learner legal :grin:

But you will drop $4000 as soon as ride out the dealers door.
    Get a used one ,there is heaps of them and have been riding slowy ,by people like your self on there first bike.

My tip is try a normal style bike like a GS500 and a cruiser before you buy ,don't just limit your self to one style.

Cruisers are fun ,but you won't know what your missing till you try a road bike ,its a whole new lot of fun.
  4. 11 Grand will buy you a bigger 750-900cc cruiser from Honda, Suzuki or Kawasaki when you are off your restrictions, hell even the Harley 883 sportster is in there if you are mad keen on badges.
    I'd definately go second hand, small and light for the first bike, and then you'll be in a stronger position to upgrade in a few years time.
  5. No it is not garunteed you will drop your first bike.
    A 250 will get you around but there are many stories around that people get bored so quickly with the 250 especially from people who are heavier (especially the cruisers - 250 sports go a bit quicker and rev a lot harder so they can get by)

sit on the bikes you are looking at and look at some different sorts to: sports, tourer cruiser etc. and test ride as well if possible. you will know what bike is for you when this is done.

if you are looking at upgradinig in a year or 2 second hand may be best as resale will be around the same that you bought it for. brand new you will not get a better resale as you lose stamp duty etc and 1-2 thousand straight off (unless it has very very low km's).

anyway, sit on the bikes and chose what fits you best you may not like the feel of the XV 650 but they are good strong bikes. remember your bum is going to be on it a lot and your knees also have to like it as well...lol
  6. :WStupid:

:LOL: :LOL: @Joel
  7. Your finger tips bleeding joel? :LOL: :LOL:
  8. You're not buying a fully faired sports bike. Even if you drop the Yammie you'll have bugger all damage, if any. The things are tough :) If you're going for the classic, the first thing that will hit the ground is the floorboard, then the bar end, or clutch/brake lever. If you get saddlebags on it, the rear end is protected and at most you'll get a scuff on the bag. This is from a standing drop.

I have the 1100, and was rearended by another bike, and mine then went down hard. Damage was cosmetic, and mostly from the impact of the other bike. Damage from it actually hitting the road - it went down on the left hand side and had a scratch on the clutch lever, tiny scratch on the mirror, and the most minute bump/pit on the side of one light on my lightbar. The saddle bag on that side didn't even mark - just needed some dirt wiped off it :grin:

The size, length and weight of the bikes don't make them very maneuverable at low speed, and this is where a learner is going to have the most difficulty - wheeling it about with your feet to back it up, u-turns and so on. But actually riding you'll find it extremely stable and easy to ride.

Ultimately the choice is yours. You'll get more life from the 650 over a 250, and you'll be picking a bike that if you DO happen to drop it, you'll end up with less damage than if you'd picked up a faired 250. Being of a decent size yourself, the weight of the bike is going to be less of an issue. Just bear in mind as I said, low speed maneuvering is going to be not as easy as on a more nimble 250.
  9. Mate , the choice is yours, but evryone I met who had a Yam 650 liked the bike, and it sure beats a 250!.

And even if you only have it for a year or two, and move on, so what,
    The 650 will always be more versatile than the 230.
  10. Great bikes for what they are.

You'll find the centre of gravity really low and they feel very stable at any speed. They also handle okay for a cruiser. A mate of mine dropped one at reasonable speed and there was absolutely bugger all damage to the bike.
  11. Thanks everyone....a few mixed opinions here which is cool..... Not sure what I will do yet . First thing to check off is the licence and I will definitely try a few bikes and styles.... Good to hear i probably wont be too bad either way. Thanks all I 'll let you know when i'm closer to choosing. :)
  12. I picked up a custom yesterday and I am still getting used to it. I had a SV 650 S.
    Power delivery is smooth. It is an easy bike to ride, but in saying that I am still getting used to the huge differences. Not having ridden a 250 for many years it is hard to compare, but I am sure that the larger size of the XVS would be an advantage for someone of your size.
    You should be able to do better than 11K on road as well, shop around. You will not lose 4K riding out the door either, there are not that many second hand ones around, I looked before I bought new.
    Insurance for me was way down from the SV as well. I paid for the SV with 60% around the $380 mark (Suncorp). With an off 6 weeks ago and more in the way of cover for the XVS (Swan), my premiums are $250.
    I wish that I could have had it longer to give you a better view of how I have found it, but so far I am still getting used to the ride position and the overall difference from a sports style bike to the cruiser. The one thing that seems to be noticeable even with a very limited amount of kms, is that it seems a much more relaxed ride overall, without the pressures of a sport type bike seem to bring with it.