Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Will Casey come back?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by rc36, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Overseas, especially Italian, forums are awash with the speculation that Casey Stoner's 3 week "break" from racing has a lot less to do with regaining his fitness and getting a handle on his mystery illness and a great deal more to do with the rumours that he has asked Ducati to let him go and they are giving him the break to consider his future.

At first when I read this it sounded too far-fetched, but, as I thought about it, it made more sense.

If Casey IS suffering from the same sort of viral ailment that ended the career of Freddie Spencer, for example, he will know that no amount of rest, treatment or therapy will cure it. Once caught it appears to linger in the system from thereon, laying low sometimes and then flaring up again.

Spencer's numerous attempts at a comeback were all ultimately thwarted by this condition.

Nor will changing the fitness regimen help either and the virus appears to actually get worse if extra fitness activities are inititiated. Listening to some who have had similar symptoms, it seems that Casey may have already decided that the effort and fitness level required to maintain his competitiveness may not be achievable any more.

Now it could be that he will get a favourable diagnosis and make a full recovery, but the speculation that he has already decided to "hang it up" doesn't seem to be going away, and, in fact, seems to be getting stronger with the passage of time.

I believe that no-one would begrudge him an honourable retirement if he truly believes that a comeback is not possible.

Let's hope that the rumours are incorrect.
  2. The career-ending-virus story is incredibly unlikely. Come on, seriously think about it. The "same sort of virus" is pretty vague. Is this the work of the internet forums or a Stoner press release? I mean, for that matter, there's plenty of "those sorts of viruses", Malaria, Ross River, Glandular Fever, that can flare up at any time. People get by just fine.

I would like to see him on another bike though.
  3. Who knows what the truth is?

Time will tell.
  4. Ask Freddie Spencer how "unlikely" it is.
  5. I always thought Freddie retired due to bad wrists and forearms, some sort of tendonitis, racers wrist I think they called it? :?: Followed by a distinct lack of motivation to get back to top fitness again, especially after the huge toll the '85 season must have had on him. Early in his career he publicly said he never saw himself racing long term.

Was there more to it? Do tell. :)
  6. Ask a lotto winner how likely it is to win lotto. Whether or not it is likely, that is the worst possible reasoning for backing up the likelihood of something occurring.

On the flip side, you could ask the millions of people that haven't won lotto, and haven't been hit by a life changing virus.

But basically, I agree with Rog.
  7. It's fairly welll known that Spencer complained of the same sort of tiredness and energy-sapping symptoms DURING his 1985 championship year. He thought, and was told, that a better fitness programme would solve the problem but found that, instead, it seemed to make it worse.

At the end of 1985, after having won both the 250 and 500 titles in the one year, he said that he felt that the year had drained him to the extent that he could never race that well again.

His wrist problem was an on-going issue as well, of course, but most people who have studied his career seem to agree that his spectacular plummet from success to also-ran had a great deal to do with the "virus" or tiredness issue that had constantly arisen during 1985.

That is the reason parallels are being drawn between him and Casey at the moment.

I hope they are wrong.
  8. Vermulen's situation seems more tenuous, if this morning's reports are accurate....
  9. What are this mornings reports?

As for Casey, I'm also going to adopt the wait and see approach. Otherwise I could be made to look like a fool in a months time.
  10. That's putting it kindly. Capirossi is fighting for podium positions (almost) on the same bike while Chris is in the tail enders. (Except when it rains!).

As for Stoner, I suspect that he was prepared to go on fighting while there was still hope in the championship, but after the Donington debacle ended their challenge, he (or they) have made the decision that there is more sense in getting his health sorted out for next season, and maybe the Aus GP.

Assuming they CAN sort it out.
  11. news.com.au is reporting this morning that Capirex is about to re-sign, like in the next coupla days, and, with the Bautista deal done, CV is now witing by the phone hoping for it to ring and for it NOT to be a WSBK team that's calling.

I'm a CV tragic. Saw his first ever road race, but I'd say his chance of staying in MotoGp are next to nothing. Such a shame that he wasted his career on the useless PoS that is the Suzuki.

Anyway, BOT.
  12. Bugger.

I guess with less bikes in the field and more 250cc riders coming up that's it.
    In hindsight he should have moved at the end of the 2007 season when he was still hot property.

Well at least he's a motogp racewinner. :)

Also I'm thinking that if Capirex is developing this bike, Suzuki should offer Stoner $10m to ride next season :)

edited grammar problems :)
  13. CV is a victim of his own impetuosity, so, in that respect, it's hard to sympathise with his present situation.

After just missing the WSBK crown in 2004 through injury, Honda told him that, if he were to stay one more year in WSBK and win the title, he could have a MotoGp seat with the "works" team in 2006. But Chris was anxious to get to MotoGp while he was hot property and he wasn't prepared to wait.

You reap what you sow.
  14. Those people probably were under-estimating the effort required from Freddie in '85 to do what he did.

Of course he was tired, more likely absolutely f##ked! At each GP he did 3 one hour prac/qual sessions on the 250 AND the 500 then a 1 hour GP on both not to mention all the testing required between rounds. It was not a mystery ailment, he was just knackered. Then in '86 he fell off during pre-season testing and injured himself, couldn't really be bothered to train that hard to come back for just another 500 title, and by the time he did there were younger hungrier blokes going faster than him.

The hunger had simply gone and together with his wrists that was the end of Fast Freddie.

There are no parallels to Casey whatsoever.
  15. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but that is all it is.
  16. No shit... he's posting on an internet forum, who the hell else's opinion would it be?
  17. I get the feeling that someone was closer to events than they are revealing...
  18. :WStupid:
  19. FWIW, there certainly does seem to be several references to Spencer and Chronic Fatigue (or similar) on the interwebs.
  20. What gets me about this whole thing is that Casey/Ducati have said that he needs to miss 3 races to recover. Who come up with that period of time? If nobody knows what's actually wrong with him, how can you say that he will only need to miss 3 races....very strange.

Maybe it's just the max amount of time Ducati will allow him to take off, whereas he wants to take as much time as is actually needed?