Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wildlife on the road

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by fruechtel, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Had a discussion yesterday about hazards on the road, when my son in law mentioned that he nearly rode of the road whilst dodging a squirrel..........and it could have well been a fatal outcome. I have long ago learned that with most wildlife it is far better to ride straight for it ( and hopefully over it ) than to find an alternative route or risk colliding with oncoming traffic or a tree. That same is true for cars and heavy trucks in my experience. I still remember triple road trains returning from the Top End of the NT with the best part of a buffalo head still wedged in the bull bar. And recovering my friend's car when he rolled it trying to dodge a roo on the way home.
    Of course trying to ride " over it " does not always work on a bike. This is something I found out when riding a Honda trail bike back to a mine site in Arnhem Land, NT quite a few years ago. I was on a wet, formed dirt road when in a long sweeping bend I encountered a water buffalo. There was no time to do a "Crocodile Dundee" and I ended up off the road and bogged in that wretched red mud and covered from top to bottom. This round went to the buffalo and seeing he was a Territorian.......... I am sure he told a tall tale about it when he returned to his mob. bike stuck.

That is not my photo, but it was worse than this!

" what a beauty........Must run and tell my buddies!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Haha, gold. How did you get the bike out?
  3. With help of an Aboriginal family that came past in an old Landcruiser. Always the first people to offer help! They all dived in the mud to help and thought nothing of it. But there was a lot of laughing :bag:
    • Like Like x 1