Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wicking moisture

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Jabbo, May 13, 2016.

1. Hi all, I'm about to have my newly restored mc return home. Would love to have her live inside but as a daily rider would be quite a painful manoeuvre chore. So unfortunately she has to live outdoors in a small shed. My fear is that there will be a lot of moisture in th air and was thinking of getting a good cover any anything a we that will minimise the dreaded rust setting in.
    I have looked at covers but not sure which one o choose. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    I am also concerned that last time I covered a motorbike it seemed to keep the moisture trapped under the cover which targeted weak areas hence the onset of early rust :-(.

I am sure there are some good covers out ther able to wick away the moisture, so any input would be muchly appreciated. Great to have found this site. I look forward to touching base with like minded enthusiasts.

2. nice looking bike - hope you keep her warm and dry. Don't know about covers as I do the awkward maneuver thingy. and welcome to NR
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome to Netrider Jabbo.

Sorry to be a kill joy but I'm wondering if the wicking type covers will help in your case. Wicking thermals for people work by absorbing moisture coming from you skin and absorbing it in to the material. For a bike in a shed the moisture is coming from the outside air, or via air from dirt or concrete floor the bike isn't producing any moisture itself. Although probably when cooling down at night you'll get condensation on the cooling metal.

I'm reminded of British bike & car magazines which often have adds for heated plastic bubbles for vehicle storage when laid up over winter.

I guess your best bet would be a breathable synthetic cover, like tyvek. That's the stuff that disposable hooded overalls are often made from. I know when ever I've used a cotton bed sheet as a cover they always feel damp in the winter. But then that could mean that means the cotton is absorbing the moisture from the cooling air and thereby reducing the amount getting to metal (why do forks always seem to rust first?).

Perhaps good air flow coupled with a breathable cover.

I'm not helping here. Sorry. Perhaps somebody who has experience will chip in.
  4. Welcome mate :cool:

Yeh something breathable if you can, I wonder if you can get those silica gel packs big enough to pack around sensitive areas.
  5. Welcome JabboJabbo and please post up some pics of that lovely bike for us all to enjoy. I am a sparky from Tassie and our way of protecting sensitive gear in electrical switchboards installed out in the open is to seal of the ground to prevent moisture coming up, minimize (not air tight) fresh air coming in and install a small low wattage heating element inside (100-200 watts). This is enough to keep the equipment inside warm enough to stop condensation and corrosion. Some garden supply places sell these low wattage heaters (garden bed warmers) as do some pet supply places (dog bed warmers)

If you could insulate your little shed, paint the floor or seal it with a plastic membrane then run a small heating element thru a thermostat( so it doesn't run when the day temp is up) your pride and joy will be just fine. The thermostat is usually set to turn the heating OFF at 5-10 c as condensation won't form above this point and you are wasting power heating above this level. The other +ve is the bike is always warmed and ready to ride plus the battery will last better not getting too cold.
    You only need the heater for a couple of months and running costs are low (50-60 cents per day) compared to the value of your bike. I have tried covers on my bike inside the shed and they invariably feel damp when removed during winter so my baby sits there in the nude although he does get a wipe over with RP7 and a misting with the same on his privates.....:smug::smug:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The poms are good at this. There are sprays. Heard Motorex Motor Protect is good.
  7. Thanks for all your input, I will take it all onboard and suss out what's best yes, pics will follow very soon. Safe riding yoall
  8. Hahahaha! You kill joy nah! Thanks for that enlightening comment, and yes your correct about the wicking.
    I guess
  9. Happy to throw another point to add to your confusion. I grew up in the sticks and and the shed you used to store your fire wood in (We called them "Wood sheds" ;) ). Always had a dirt floor allegedly to help dry out the wood. But that was north of the divide where the summers were always long and hot. I certainly wouldn't want a dusty dry floor in a shed to park my pride & joy on. But then you already have shed so that's just prattle. As East Coast CruiserEast Coast Cruiser said it only has to be at 5 to 10 C. So the garden bed or dog bed warmer, stick it under the bike say under the engine. Put a breathable bike cover over that is big enough to mostly sit on the ground around the edges and I reckon the MC would be as happy as a bug in a rug.
  10. Install a whirlybird on the roof of your shed mate. My camping gear was going mouldy, so I did this which circulated enough air in the shed to stop it from happening.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I have a Bumming one that is made out of clear Plastic, lots a bit of light in as well
    • Like Like x 1