Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why you should never let your concentration lapse!!!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by YamahaWoman, May 19, 2012.

1. This was COMPLETELY my own stupid fault!

I didn't crash but came close. I wasn't paying enough attention, I was looking at a bike going in the opposite direction to me, I thought it was the same kind of bike I want to get next, and when I turned my head forward again I saw that the traffic had stopped moving, and I saw the back of a stopped car coming up really fast. I hit the brakes and I heard the back wheel screech and then the back of the bike quickly went to the right. You have to steer into the skid when that happens, so I did, but the back of the bike then went to the left and I had to steer the other way. I pulled up behind the car and the driver gave me a wave. The poor guy thought it was his fault.

It all happened very quickly, the tyre screeching was loud and the unnatural bike movement was scary, but the positive side to it is that I now know that my reaction time is good, and that I'm capable of bringing a bike out of a rear wheel lock up and skid. The rear wheel lock up shouldn't have happened, I pushed the lever far too hard, but since it happened so fast I didn't think of taking my foot off the lever. I'm just glad it all turned out ok!

I was really pissed off when I got home and realised I hadn't pressed the button on the video camera for that part of the ride so I didn't get it on camera. Damn!!! Lol.

• Like Like x 3
  2. personally i think it's good to do stuff like that, brake into a slide, so you know how to handle it. but i do think it should be more intentional and not when you're about to become someone's new boot ornament.
    but good work in knowing how to counter it when the panic set in

• Like Like x 1
  3. bad Tahlia BAD
    :-$ don't do it again

• Like Like x 1
  4. Although it's boring It's best to try to practice emergency stopping every now and then. Not sure I have done it for months so I can't say I practice what I preach!

5. I'd practised some emergency braking the other week in a car park, just not from 60kms. I'm glad I did practise not long ago, otherwise this situation could have been worse. There will be more practise to come, don't worry about that.

6. I was about to say don't beat yourself up too much. But it then occurred to me that your attitude is the right one. If you don't blame yourself you won't make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Anyway glad you got out of it unscathed!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Exactly what I did last weekend, but I locked the front wheel and went down. Bike and me slided into the back of the car in front.

8. I've done this a few times too but it's usually from looking at girls. Thus winter is a far safer time of year for me.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Oh no! Did you come out of it ok? What sort of damage was done to the bike?

10. Bruises, scars and an aching muscle on my right hip. Right side of jacket totally torn. Bike got scratches on the right side, but not much worse than it was before.

11. Sounds like you handled the skid well, nice work :) Also nice work leaving the rear locked, so you avoided a potential high side.

Here's my 2c worth: seems like you applied too much rear brake and not enough front brake. Although you corrected the skid, you had to concentrate on the skid rather than on braking. With the bike not pointing straight and upright you would have lost most of the braking capacity of the front, which is where almost all of your braking comes from in a hard stop. Chances are if you progressively applied the front brake, you could have stopped straight w ith miles to spare.

Be careful when checking out other bikes or girls!!

12. I just did Stay Upright Advanced 1 (again) for this reason alone. It is so hard to find a nice safe place to practice emergency braking from 100km/h, but by god do I need to practice it.

13. clearly in breach of the TAC laws of physics. you skid straight when you lock the rear.

• Like Like x 3
  14. I've done similar before when approaching a amber light with a friend, went to back off, saw he was going through so put the power back on, then he backed off so I went to brake too, locked the rear and slid out to the right, ended up making the call to come off the brakes once I'd straightened it out and completely open the throttle to get through the intersection in time. Just got the red.

Completely novice mistake and completely my own fault, just lucky to have had an escape that didn't involve putting the bike down or collecting someone or something. It's always good when you get to learn from mistakes without paying a hefty price in the process.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks :)

I won't be checking out bikes while riding anymore... certainly won't be checking out girls either, I'm straight lol :)

16. This is spot on!

Tahlia, your avatar shows you're on a cruiser. The rear brake on a cruiser is generally more effective than the same on a sports bike, due to the weight balance being more likely towards the rear, BUT, it suffers from the same downside in that the rear wheel is still easy to lock. Cruiser riders however tend to over learn and over rely on their rear brake though because of every day use. This is bad!

A locked and sliding rear wheel can only provide about -0.4g's of decelleration. A coordinated brake can provide -0.6g's very easily. A good ebrake can get mch better than -0.8g's... So basically, well practiced ebrakes can stop you in half the time than a panic rear stomp. Practice your ebrakes. You don't need to do them from 100km/h, but it's worth doing them from at least 45km/h, 60km/h is good, so that you can experience the deceleration that a good ebrake provides and allow your body to learn what that feels like.

Be on gaurd for any skids. A front skid requires release and reapplication. A set up and squeeze rather than a panic grab is less likely to end up with a front wheel skid - so practice this motorskill till the lizard brain learns it, otherwise a panic grab instantly locks the front without any weight transfer to flatten the tyre and a fall is likely and sometimes instantaneous!

Practice ebraking often. It's a survival SKILL.

By the way, a screeching rear wheel under heavy rear brake is an interesting phenomena - I posted up a thread about it someplace... worth a read.

17. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! So bloody true!!!

18. p.s. At 60km/h, you cover 16.6m every second. If you're not maintaining at least a two second gap (about 33m), how far do you think you travelled in the time you were diverted looking at the other bike? Even a two second gap can be too short in some scenarios.

You CANNOT maintain 100% concentration 100% of the time, but you do need to maintain concentration at specific times. The less gap you leave, the more effective concentration you need. You can work out the rest for yourself.

19. Well done on all counts.

You controlled you bike (in the end), you didn't crash, and most importantly because you accepted responsibility you've learnt something and passed it on for others to learn from.

• Like Like x 1