Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why wouldn't they encourage and open a motorcycle lane?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by pro-pilot, Dec 21, 2007.

1. It seems that motorcycling is both the bane and might well be the key need for officials in the future.

Just checking out this article! :shock:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22956853-661,00.html

Yet everytime the traffic is stopped for minutes on end. Some poor sod on a bike gets pulled by the cops for lane splitting. :roll:

Its probably time for a party that has position within cabinet, to drive a motion to allow motorbikes and scooters to freely use bicycle lanes and in some circumstances emergency lanes with pull over tracks (to let emergency vehicles through).

Its ridiculous to think that we as riders have to crawl at 10 Kph, just to suck down someones exhaust fumes!.

Code:
    [b]Daily commute is getting slower, says VicRoads[/b]

MELBOURNE'S traffic-choked tollway and freeway system is getting worse, leaving peak-hour motorists trapped in bottlenecks.

New figures show frustrated drivers are forced to crawl at less than 40km/h for tens of kilometres during peak hours. 

And the Monash Freeway, where motorists must pay more than $10 in tolls a day to use the city end of CityLink, is officially slowest of all. 

Even VicRoads -- the force behind the city's LA-style freeway growth -- has urged drivers to try other ways to get to work. 

"It's important that people think about other transport options," VicRoads spokesman Robert Freemantle said. 

"It's something that everyone can help with by car-pooling, cycling, walking or by using public transport. 

[b]The latest VicRoads figures show: [/b]

THE average speed on the Monash, West Gate and Calder freeways during peak hours is a snail's pace -- 40km/h. 

HALF of all car trips in Melbourne are less than 2km. 

MORE than 90 per cent of people driving to work are on their own. 

RACV chief engineer Peter Daly said the Monash Freeway was a joke. "The Monash is becoming increasingly frustrating and a lot of motorists don't have an alternative route so they're getting trapped," he said. 

"But it's not just the length of time it takes to get anywhere on the Monash, it's the unpredictable nature of it. 

"It's the variability in travel time that really frustrates people and it doesn't take much for the Monash to become one big snarl. 

"A minor crash, someone pulled up on the side of the road or any roadworks can play havoc." 

VicRoads' latest Traffic Performance Monitoring report shows the evening peak has slowed by about 5km/h while the morning has increased by about the same speed. 

In morning peak hour, the Monash, West Gate and Calder freeways are the most congested, with the average speed from 21-40km/h. The worst section of the Monash is between Jacksons and Warrigal roads. 

Traffic speeds then increase from about 40km/h to 60km/h as far as Burke Rd, before it slows down again to about 40km/h on CityLink. 

Traffic on the West Gate and Calder freeways is no better, averaging 40km/h. 

In the evening peak, the Monash Freeway section between Glen Iris and Mulgrave is the worst affected. 

The tolled CityLink section leading to the Monash outbound has an average speed of 60km/h before it slows to less than 40km/h. 

VicRoads' Mr Freemantle said Melbourne's booming population was the problem. 

"Almost 70 per cent of trips in metropolitan Melbourne are less than 5km, yet most people still use their cars for these short journeys," he said. 

He said $2.8 billion in road improvement projects were planned to ease congestion. 

"We are also using more technology to improve flow, with things like better traffic light sequencing," he said. 

And the RACV's Mr Daly said the planned improvements should ease congestion. "Our advice to motorists is to be patient and hopefully it will quieten down over the Christmas period," he said.

2. I'm surprised there isn't even a trial motorcycle lane somewhere.

Obviously theres more than just me thinking that dedicated motorcycle lanes might encourage people to use more efficient transport and ease road/parking congestion.

I rekon the odd cager would convert if they saw packs of scooters and bikes sailing past them.

3. why? Because this country has a fcukin rediculous tall poppy attitude.

4. ROTFL...........

What about the rest of the farking year !!!!! :LOL:

5. Don't worry, you can be sure that they'll commission anti-congestion roadworks for the rest of the year.

Why I take Burwood Hwy instead of the SE freeway - I save 10 minutes from my 40k commute

6. Some real spastic thinking there.

In a way, I'm glad I didn't go onto college and then post shit like that to a newspaper with my name at the end of it. Thats just embarrassing. :oops:

Take yesterday as an example. The roads were just shit.

I drove to work, a whole 39km.

I hit a wall of traffic at the base of the Westgate Bridge.
    It took 30 minutes to get over the bridge.

It then took a further 20 minutes to get to Kings Way.

The "suicide lanes" were not functioning so the red X was appearing on both sides. What do the brains trust at Pricktoads do??? they place some directional signs at either end and close the lane completely.
    It's peak fcuken hour you idiots!!!! the lane is always green for traffic leaving the city. So rather than place bollards to keep city bound traffic out of that lane and allow outbound traffic to flow, they block it and cause some mighty legendary congestion.

Once past the old Carlton Crest hotel, it opens up and starts to flow again.

I got to work at 7pm!!!!!!!

Not bad seeing that I left at 5.15pm for what is a 35 minute trip and I have a 6pm start :(

Bastards!!!

I have an idea though. Yes it hurt :p

We should get a handfull of riders that can offer to take a pillion into the city to show them how easy it is on a bike. Pick them up from their homes and pillion them into work.

Get the media involved as an "experiment" just to show how efficient a bike can be.

Might convert some of them.

Whatchya reckon?? :)

7. Let's see whether the anti bike brigade come out to play if I get published.

Pillioning idea is interesting Vic. Pillioning the opinion makers, radio talk back type folk would be good too. :-k

Ok, with seriousness aside: I bags the hot bored gorjus wannabe cool office chick from the Sanctuary lakes estate to throw on the back of my bike (with the extra comfy pillion seat installed of course) to pillion in...

8. anybody got bransons number?

>>>clicky<<<

our weather would be ideal for it!

9. Vic, hate to say it but I reckon you're onto something there mate! So, where do we start? Who has the contacts in the media?

10. I got published. No response. The car dudes are fighting amongst themselves at the moment though: "My traffic is worse than yours". LMAO

11. This is a really scary fact IMO. Not only does it contribute to traffic but also pollution. It just proves the greed of the human race.

12. a motorcycle lane is a waste of money- a policy make using simple cost v benefit analysis can see that there are simply too few motorcyclist to justify a dedicated lane or construct one. In Malaysia, certain roads do have dedicated bike lanes and they work well but then again in the capital, there are enough bikes to justify this.

The best way to reduce traffic jams is to create a public transport system that actually works. City Planners never considered the kind of growth the major cities around Australia would have and as a result, the public transport system is in shambles and the politicians blame motorist for not using it!
    Raising parking rates and such are not going to change the situation as the City of London has found out.

What they should try is staggered working hours to reduce jams. Instead of all jobs finishing around the same time and starting at the same time, it should be different to allow more effecient travel time and bonuses for taking public transport. There is no incentive for motorist to car pool or take public transport. If the government offered major subsidies for public transport to workers and tax rebates for business who alter their standard working hours, i believe that there can be a significant reduction in traffic in the city.. but then again i am just a uni student and the idiots in parliment are well... idiots!! :D rant over!

13. Not quite. I think it shows how much mis-management and confidence there is in Melbourne's public transport infrastructure.

For city that is expanding very rapidly and creating a vast urban sprawl. There is no where sufficient enough a critcal mass of services (public transport) to cater for the populations dynamics.

The result you see is this behaviour in commuters, who would rather put up with an hour locked in traffic, than rely on poorly structured services (or perception there of).

Why for the life of me they haven't created mass park and ride models coupled with shorter ranged shuttle based tram and train services is beyond me.

14. No really. Not everyone works in the CBD or close to public transport.

I live within 100m of a bus stop but by the time I caught the bus to the station, waited for a train to actually arrive, travel into the city I could've driven into the city, realised I left my laptop behind and turned around to get it and got back before the train arrived in the city. Well not quite but I save 1.5 hours travel by driving and I pay a financial penalty in Tolls and $12.00 all day parking.

I could also mention how great public transport is and looking at the delays it had last night I still got home just on 10 minutes longer than normal last night by driving home (getting out of the CBD to the freway was sh1tefull).

I'm lucky in that the Calder & Tulla Freeways are a good run in and out of town but if I lived out Dandy or Pakenham way the train would probably be a better option.

15. the state goverment dont want cars or bikes in the CBD or busy areas they want them on public transport .
    reason for this is $$ and also savings in not increasing infastructure with rate of vehiles registered.
    They will never build bike lanes , because its infastructure and the cost is not worth it .
    take shitty link and other major works , they are built by private consortiams .
    increasing infastructure and making traffic flow better wont help them to there ulitmate goal of haveing people off the road and onto our delapidated , and inaffective state public transport system.

16. Just proves that a better public transport system is needed. I live and work in the outer suburbs. To get to work which takes about 30 minutes in the car, takes over two on public transport (4 buses and a train ) and this doesn't include the time spent waiting.

17. how about just more bus lanes.

18. I thought the bolded bit looks interesting, notice it says scooter (nothing about motorcycles.......)

Scooter sales quadruple as locals ape the Romans (The Age 22/12/2007)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/scooter-sales-quadruple/2007/12/21/1198175340684.html

Chee Chee Leung
    December 22, 2007

LYGON Street might be home to Melbourne's "Little Italy", but residents across the city, faced with high petrol prices and parking fees, have embraced one of Rome's enduring features — the scooter.

Scooter sales in Victoria reached 1881 last year — up 400% in three years. Australia-wide, about 15,000 scooters were sold, up more than 300% on 2003 figures.

For Frank Tonon, owner of Collingwood's Vespa House, sales have jumped from about two a month five years ago to an average of 15 a month.

"We're centralising ourselves in the city, like overseas," he said. "You can't park anywhere, it costs too much to park, and petrol is expensive."

At Armadale Motors, Sandy Richards said that sales of his Bolwell scooters had grown from eight a month four years ago, to up to 20 a month this year.

"People who come in have had a gutful of trying to get a car park and the times getting around town," he said.

Scooters are saving people money and time, and they use less fuel and produce fewer emissions, features that are starting to become selling points.

Environment Victoria says scooters have a place in the transition from a high-fuel consumption transport system to a more sustainable one. But the organisation's sustainable transport campaigner, Victoria McKenzie-McHarg, said public transport, cycling and walking were more sustainable options.

"Emissions from transport generally are expected to grow enormously in the coming years, and it's one area we really feel the Victorian community can cut down on," she said.

The increase in the number of scooter riders has prompted a rethink of safety and parking issues. In October the City of Melbourne began a review of scooter and motorbike parking on some city footpaths. Melbourne is the only Australian capital city that allows scooters and motorcycles to park on footpaths.

The Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce is one group that has been campaigning for improved scooter safety. Proposals raised by it include safe routes for scooters and motorcycles, and allowing scooter riders to use bicycle lanes.

The Transport Accident Commission does not collect data on scooter-related fatalities, but a senior manager, David Healy, urged scooter riders to take care.

"Like motorcycle riders, scooter riders are vulnerable road users. Even travelling at lower speeds is risky, and particularly so if not wearing protective clothing."

The Australian Scooter Federation estimates that there have been only a handful of scooter fatalities in Australia in the past decade. Chairman Hollie Black said the industry was now "very crowded" and sales had plateaued. However, "it's a product that I think is going to be around for the long term".

Melbourne photographer Gazi, who lives in Essendon, owns four scooters, including two vintage Vespas. He fell in love with them because they were "easy to ride, convenient and very cool".

19. I think they could probably get by on a lot of major roads by widening the bicycle lane and allowing joint use of it by both motor and push cyclists. Obviously care would need to be taken, but as it is I often see (and will sometimes myself) use the bicycle lane for filtering when it's too tight through the middle.

20. Providing improved mobility for motorcycles in traffic contributes to a decrease in congestion. This mobility may be improved by numerous methods;

Directly and explicitly permitting motorcycles to filter between lanes of
    stationary or slow moving traffic;

Permitting motorcycles to overtake stationary or slow moving traffic on the left hand side in the same manner as bicycles;

Provision of advanced stop-lines for motorcycles at intersections in a similar manner to those provided for cyclists;

Permitting sharing of bus and taxi lanes by motorcyclists; and

Allowing sharing of bicycle lanes on roads by motorcycles (under certain conditions).

from Submission to the Victorian Inquiry into Congestion