Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why walking is bad for your health

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Monty, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Tuesday night, thought we would do the right thing and go for a healthy walk down the street before dinner. Not two minutes from our door I was attacked by some huge dog who was on a lead being walked towards us. This has left me with a trip to the hospital a couple of stitches in a puncture, some tearing and a few scratches and bruises. :(
    So had a day off to rest and now feeling sore and sorry for myself. :)

2. Damn - I hope you're OK (apart from the obvious injuries). Where in Werribee was that ?? I hope the authorities do the right thing here.

We had a case on my street of this, and the dog in question "was lost" whilst the rangers were trying to impound it. Its since "been found"...
  3. I would also like to know where in Werribee that was, my wife walks to the train station some mornings and I ride a pushbike to work at Laverton so really do not want to run across this animal.
    You can pm if you want to.

:p :evil:
  4. Ouch..and the dogs owners are doing something about it?????
  5. And my wife wonders why I shot the dog that came into my back yard and killed the kids cat.
  6. What was the deal with the "on the lead" bit?

Was dog too strong for the owner to handle?
  7. What type of breed was the pooch?
    Certain breeds are supposed to wear one of those things over their snouts when being walked (you know...what are they called?)anyway i suppose its a bit late in your case,hope your o.k.
    i've been bitten on the arse a couple of times,and i've been a bit scared of strange dogs ever since (i only let the ones i know bite me on the arse now!!!! :LOL: )
    Does anyone know the law in regards to "dangerous" dogs??
  8. My goodness Monty

Hope you are feeling better real quick. What a nasty experience. I hope you have reported it. Imagine the damage and mental scarring it could have done to a child, yet alone you!
  9. muzzles

I have to apologies , that was my mother in law that attacked you , we tried to get the pound to put her down , but they don't believe in euthanasia

hey Paula , come down to coffee night there are probably a few feral animals down there that might bite you on the arse :LOL: :LOL:

The dog can be put down, all depending on the circumstances, if the attacked was unprovoked especially .
    Monty, did you get the owners name etc ??
    also, did you have a tetanus booster ???

I would give up walking mate , it's going to kill ya :wink:
  10. Thanks guys. These dogs (there were two but only one attacked) were about the size of a ridgeback but broader across the chest and the head. As we were walking towards him he was struggling with them cause they are so big. If they are supposed to have a muzzel on they will get fined as well as having to give up the dog.

I spoke to the Council this morning and they are getting back to me.

For all those Werribee peoples it was cnr of Thames and Heaths roads, but the g/f or wife was sounding adament about him getting rid of the dog as they were going down the street, they had a little bub so she was a bit concerned (well a lot really).

I will cross the road if I see a dog coming from now on ...
  11. Dangerous dogs
    If your dog rushes at, attacks, bites, worries or chases any person or animal you will be guilty of an offence and could be liable for any damage caused by the dog. Damages may include:

Medical treatment
    Torn clothing
    Veterinary expenses of the other pet owner
    Penalties: A fine and an order that the offending animal be destroyed.

Restricted breed dogs
    Councils have the authority to declare certain dogs as “restricted breed dogs.”

The owners of these and other dangerous dogs must comply with stricter responsibilities regarding their care, including:

Dangerous and restricted breed dogs need to be kept indoors or in childproof enclosures on the owner's premises.
    Must be muzzled when outside these premises.
    Entrances to the owner's premises must display warning signs that a dangerous or restricted breed dog is contained within the premises.
    Special identification collars need to be worn by the dog.
    Strict notification requirements ensuring councils are notified immediately if a dog escapes from the premises.
    Prompt notification of change of ownership of these dogs.
    Failure to comply with the legislation can result in fines and other penalties.
  12. "groberts"yeah "muzzle" LMAO your very funny :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  13. Thanks for that info groberts,
    Some times i look after other peoples dogs (mainly my sisters)
    and most of them are used for hunting (she has about 30 odd dogs) is the law different for rural areas??
  14. Bummer and you just got your bike.

Hope you'll recover soon.
  15. geeezuz mate! i hope the owner cops it for that one!

i know it was the dog that attacked you, but normally its the way its brought and looked after that determines whether it will harm a person. worst thing is, now the dog has to get put down because the owner is an irresponsible dipshit. :evil:

i've always had big dogs and they've always had a great temperment and personality. breeds arent the problem, its all in the upbringing. just like humans i spose, i'm sure hitler wasn't born an asshole.....
  16. Not necessarily Coconuts. My ex and I had a Great Dane X Staffy who was a dog with a great nature. He got out one day and someone reported him roaming the street (where we lived) The ranger AND police came, the dog bolted home when they went near him and this is where it all went wrong. Instead of just trying to open the damn gate and get him back into the backyard, they surrounded him and tried to capture him with one of those long sticks with the lasso on the end. This obviously scared the bejeesus out of him and his instinct kicked in and he got territorial, remember this was in his own front yard!! Anyway, they finally caught him and took him to the pound and we were notified that because he growled at them, we had a choice. Either get him put down or have him declared a vicious animal, in which case all of what Groberts said in an earlier post would have to happen...the muzzle, the sign on the gate, the identification etc. It was decided that we would have him declared vicious but it seemed to be a turning point in Bud and his temprament changed that day. We had a baby (Maddy) in the house at the time and didnt want to risk so eventually we had him put down :(
  17. there are some parts of the law from what i can understand which cover all areas ,
    other parts can be added by local council and also local council laws applie as well.
    thats as i read it .

as owners we are responsable for our animals .
    I have put down one of our dogs as he flew one of the kids , un prevoked.
    i put him down as he was the type of dog that i would not have been able to get off if he had of latched on too them .
    as an owner and a parent , i didnt take the chance .
    it broke my heart , we havent had another dog since.
  18. i probably should have been a bit more specific there i think. any dog will have a shot at a human when put in the wrong situation. i have no doubt that it someone was trying to hurt myself or malissa, my gentle giant stryder would tear them limb from limb. cant blame a dog for that, i'd do the same thing. your dog, again, was cornered and scared witless, not exactly unprovoked there.

what i was talking about is those unprovoked attacks. walking along the street minding your own business and then getting chased down, or going to pat a dog and getting bitten (not just snapped at). in these cases, its generally the owner thats made the dog like this. it might not be intentional in some cases, but from what i know of other ppls experience, it generally comes from abuse or mitreatment. just sucks that its the dog that has to pay the ultimate price :(
  19. So there is not a genetic predisposition to being an Administrator, then?
  20. If it looked like a ridgeback but bigger and broader, its possibly a Great Dane - I've seen a bunch around Werribee recently. Strange though - they're not typically an aggressive sort of dog IIRC. Great Dane - see if the pic matches.

Otherwise its possibly a Bitza (mongrel).