Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why upgrade when you have a full licence?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Tomcatalex, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Ive completed my L's and Most and now have my full licence, Ive already had 2 bikes both 250's and have ridden a few others, but Im happy with my 250, its fast enough to get killed on, dont see the need to fork out more money to get a bike that is heavier or uses more fuel or is more expensive to insure or costs more in rego. Why do people find it a necesity to upgrade as soon as they get their full licence??

2. There is no necessity to upgrade, I’ll be honest my biggest motivation to want to upgrade is not for power. It is for better suspension and breaks.
    That being said a little more vigor out of corners would be nice [​IMG]

3. Because in this day and age, too much is never enough and less is not more.
    For the same reason that alot of people move house, to another house in the same suburb, that is similar, but differernt.
    People like change, for changes sake.
    Why ride a bike that will do 150km top speed in 6th, when you can ride a bike that will do 150km in first?
    Riding bikes is a passion for alot of people, not just a means of transport, and if they can get something that improves over what they have, why not?

4. I upgraded due to my physique (posh way of saying big bastard!)

On a 250 it looked like something had got stuck in the crack of my bum.

The ST allows me to stretch out and be in comfort. I have never been comfy on a sports bike and always liked the tourer concept. So my bikes have been big and comfy. The only bikes in that range are up in the 1000cc mark.

As many riders have mentioned here, if you are happy on your bike, you have the right bike. I find I have the ultimate bike! That is, if someone says "If you won tatts tomorrow, what bike would you go and buy?" I would pick the bike I have.

As long as your happy, that's all that counts.

WGM

5. Like the others said - there's no reason to upgrade.

If the VTR250 had had more legroom for my 6'4 self, I might not have upgraded at all.

With LAMS bikes there's even less reason to upgrade; generous torque, even more power and usually better legroom than the little 250cc bikes.

That said, I really like the Tiger's lazy torque, far more comfortable ergonomics, and brakes/suspension/engine suitable for sport-touring with heavy luggage and/or pillions. The VTR250 did not like adult-size pillions. :p

6. If you are happy with your current bike .. keep it :wink:
    I am in no rush to upgrade, being a small guy the hornet with it's FAT rear tyre looks good on me :p You could easliy mistaken her for a 600, until you ride her that is :LOL:
    The day I upgrade is the day I out-ride her. Seems I'll be keeping her quite a while yet

7. For many there is no need or desire to upgrade and thats why the arse wont fall out of the 250 market when LAMS hits VIC.

If you'r happy with what you have keep it (and save your money)

8. The question should be, 'why would you not upgrade as soon as you can?'

9. Like others said, I reckon I'll stick with my new girl for a loooong time :grin:

P.S. Being of a physique compatible with a 250cc bike helps too :p

10. Because big bikes are awesomer :D

I'm guessing you haven't ridden a bigger, more powerful bike?

As to why, some good reasons;
    - Easier to pillion
    - Often better handling
    - Bike lasts longer, engine isn't worked so hard
    - More comfortable due to being physically bigger
    - Handles luggage better
    - Fat powerband, don't need to work it
    - Can cruise at higher speeds without the annoyance of bits of engine flying at you

Of course not everyone wants that :D

11. +1 to sticking with the bike you like - whatever size.

There are, however, benefits to going bigger that aren't to do with top speed. Quite a few are mentioned in a similar thread from a while back...
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/view...0&postorder=asc&highlight=bigger+bike&start=0

I much prefer my current bike than my old 250, partly because it's new and the improvement in technology is massive! Not to mention it's not warn out, and as far as sports bikes are concerned (which is what I like), there's not exactly a huge range in 250s. I also really like the choice it gives me. I can squirt ahead or break heavily with much more effect on the 600. I can also do a lot more in the one gear. It's not as vital for me to be in the exact gear. For me, it has nothing to do with top end speed.

12. but can you get this on a bigger bike?
    aVBJtz9.
    I love my boot

13. Yeah - this Goldwing has a really big boot! And another engine, four wheels and 5 seats!

[​IMG]

Seriously though - There are some touring bikes like the Deauville, etc, with integrated panniers and other storage bins, some quite spacious. The Burgmann650 maxi-scooter can fit two full-face helmets, a jacket and still have room for a small Vietnamese family, in fact!

14. +1

Better suspension and brakes = safer due to more control and fun

I've had cb250 and cbr250 both of which i had a blast on but its nothing compared to the z750. Better brakes, better handling, more power not for the sake of it but to get you out of situations you'd have no chance of getting out of on a 250. Personally i'd never go back.

15. Better handling. What is better handling? Can someone explain that to me? I understand bigger bikes = better brakes etc...but better handling? I always figure it's to do wtih cornering but I'd like someone to explain just what this better handling means. Please :)

16. I take my bike to work, 4 km away, I know I could ride a bicycle or even walk but im a lazy b$@#$, anyway easier to park than my car, and more fun to ride and on the way home I can shove a bottle of milk and loaf of bread with room to spare, I even shove the daily telegraph, have to squash it a little.
    The bike is faster than most cars at the lights, at 45hp its not a slug, its small so easy to pass between traffic. CTP is only $180. It serves me well. I find it pretty fast, so I think I would probably shit myself on a R1,Hayabusa or ZZR1400

17. For me it means that the bike does what it's told with a lot more ease: I'll drop it into a corner and it just sticks there on a solid line. It's like it's made for it (well, I guess it was!). And yes, also much better in all areas like braking, accelerating, swerving, emergency stopping... Oh, also, with the better suspension it thinks nothing of mid corner bumps. On my old bike mid corner bumps would make me go wide, but the 600 sticks to it's line. The 600 is a far more obedient bike :grin:

18. Yep it's bit hard to actually understand this with only having ridden a 250.

My main reason for upgrading though is options.

Increased options for what i can do with the bike, Like;
    Take pillions, long tours (not to dismiss Rosie's Adventures), Longer fue range, more relaxed ride (dependant on the bike you want of course).

19. My reason for upgrading - a larger, heavier bike is simply far better for long distances on the highway. It can overtake easier, is more comfortable (no more resting my elbows on my knees), and due to its mass far more stable in strong crosswinds.
    Were I sticking solely to the city though a 250 would be fine - except for the fact they're overpriced (and a car killed my 250).

Edit: One problem with some comparisons of 250s vs larger bikes is that many people go from an old POS 250 with rooted brakes and suspension to a brand new 600cc supersports. Of course it's going to handle and brake better.

20. If you're happy with your 250, awesome! The Across is one of the truly great low-maintenance, no-fuss commuters out there and my missus doesn't want to get rid of hers either. Kudos for not getting roped into the endless disposable upgrade cycle and the consumerist treadmill, and don't let anyone tell you it's the wrong thing to do. 250cc is absolutely massive in other parts of the world, they'd think you were crazy if you took one to Vietnam.

Rosie, you'll find a lot of differences when you upgrade. The VTR250 is an absolute scalpel at slow speeds, as is the Across, because of their light weight, soft suspension and thin tyres. Bigger bikes are usually heavier, a bit harder to steer and less immediate in their handling.

However, for all you lose in quitting a smaller bike, there are some benefits too. The obvious power gains aside, bigger bikes give you access to better and stickier tyres. You won't believe how hard you can brake, for example, on a warm sticky front tyre. Those things just STICK where the tyres on your 250 are just not equipped for higher levels of braking. Plus, the bigger brake discs and calipers let you apply eye-popping braking power with one or two fingers. This would send a lot of beginners over the handlebars, but once you're up to a good level of control, it means you can ride harder with less physical effort.

The lightweight suspension on the Across and VTR give you excellent control in backstreet-riding situations and make these bikes incredibly easy to get confident on. However, as you start pushing on into serious speeds in the twisties etc, this softer suspension starts to wallow and wiggle and generally take your confidence away. Bigger, sportier bike suspension is quite harsh and rattly at low speeds, it can actively make the bike hard to ride around town - which is why the VTR250 is such an awesome bike for learners and commuters. But when you start really giving it to a sportsbike, thrashing the bejesus out of it in the twisties, you start to find a sweet spot. Semicompressed under cornering forces, the suspension now starts working perfectly to smooth out a bumpy corner, giving you the confidence to go faster and faster.

The wider tyre profiles take away that incredibly fast steering you're currently enjoying, but replace it with a slower, more measured turn-in and an abundance of side grip in faster corners. Few bikes would get around a really tight hairpin as quickly or easily as a VTR, but just wait til you feel how a sportsbike canes through the sweepers, you can do truly mental speeds.

And mental is the word, because when you upgrade you have to completely overhaul your mental software to cope with the new speeds you're able of holding in fast corners. Your brain simply isn't yet wired to read a road at the speed the bike will start demanding of you. You'll go through a corner as fast as you dare and be completely aware that you've hardly leaned the bike over at all. It's a slow process, bringing your brain and eyes up to speed with your new bike.