Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Why Speed will never be as socially unacceptable as drink driving.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Cheffie's been telling you for ages - the war on roads is about social engineering.

This is absolutely clearly what is being planned - especially in Victoria. In January the TAC released survey results about how different road behaviours ranked in amongst different socially unacceptable behaviours: http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/jsp/conte...=B9CB7CAC7F0000010022E3AC1BFF329C&pageID=2072 I haven't looked to see how they derived their 1500 survey participants, but only one in four respondents thought it was socially unnacceptable to speed at 110km/h in a 100km/h zone.

Here's what the TAC says about it's survey:
    So they're taking the pulse and the message is loud and clear that people just don't buy the propaganda that minor slips over the speed limit are deadly... and yet they're going to keep at it until we're convinced otherwise. :roll:

There's a mob in the UK who in 2001 spelled out why goals like the TAC's will never be reached - it is UK centric but worth a read: http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/accept.html

• Like Like x 11
  2. Not to mention:
    Driving after a few drinks is a horrible, scary experience and should rightly be illegal.
    It involved you not being in control of yourself or the vehicle and unable to react adequately to what's happening around you
    whereas Driving fast is awesome
    It involves you working as one within your own limits and those of the vehicle and reacting well to what's happening around you is greatly rewarded.

I'd like to see some though.
  3. ...indeed, and I still intend to come back to it in the future. This is an awesome post Slave, brilliant.

Here's my little deviation from the content but intrinsic to the topic at hand.....

Presently in Victoria, is it socially acceptable to ride a motorcycle?
  4. I think if you match penalty with penalty, drink driving and speeding are already as socially unacceptable as each other. If you told your friends you lost your license for low range drink driving or going 45 over you would face roughly the same social consequences.
  5. "is it socially acceptable to ride a motorcycle? "

Interesting question. :-k I'd say yes it is - it's however, NOT recommended.

Many people have a motorcycle ride on their bucket list - therefore it can't be socially unacceptable.

But more importantly, the typical no brain whaffo beige unwashed non rider response when thinking about motorcycling isn't one of revulsion or extremely negative social commentary - but more one of "why would you do something so dangerous?"

I think that because even the most beige don't see motorcycling as a risk to themselves - being that they are safe all wrapped up in their nicely air bag cocooned moving metal cage... they see riding mostly as a risk to the rider. BUT they certainly see a drunk or drugged driver/trucker or excessive speeding or both, as something socially unacceptable given the possible carnage that could ensue.
  6. :? Dunno. 45km/h over on a straight country road/empty freeway and 45km/h over through a school zone would elicit very different responses I reckon.
  7. Yep I'm hearing what you're saying so I'll pitch up the next one with a curve on it...

Do family/friends/relatives/workmates/etc actively try to stop people from riding motorcycles?
  8. Only by using the guilt trip on me. It usually doesn't bother me (much); more so if Mum does it b/c I know that worry makes her physically sick (getting worse with age).
  9. Mine dont. A few bitched at the start before I actually got the bike but everyone is helpful and supportive now. I think they all support Euthanasia too though.. so maybe that has something to do with it.
  10. My mother still does.
    Not all the time. But through little comments etc.

We were out with them a few weeks ago and somebody pulled up nearby on a bike. My 2 year old pointed and said "Daddy!"

Then I got
    "It'll be your own fault if she shows up home on the back of one of those things when she's 16"
    Me: "What makes you think she won't be on the front of one?"
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Sorry i was talking more in a broader sense than anecdotal.
    But it demonstrates three positions people can take, them being...
    Passive resistance
    Actively resistant

My dear old Mom told me she didn't want me riding when I started, I told her she had better get used to it.
  12. Yes. That is one of the target responses from the negative ad campaigns and a well considered motorcycle counter measure.

Problem is, right now, we have the luxury of a road system and a population size that allows this to be a countermeasure... push will come to shove at some point and smaller footprint vehicles will be inevitable... the authorities AREN'T staving off this future by pushing riders back into cars, they are BRINGING IT FORWARD.

I have to wonder why the want to do that?
  13. Dunno. You're overlooking the fact that they are - aggressively - pushing the humble bicycle as the ultimate solution. That's part of a wider social engineering network of strategies, and it's not just about road safety. Very soon it will be socially unacceptable to travel outside of your local area, let alone by powered transport.
  14. A bicycle has a limited luggage capacity and so can never be seen as a total solution - even the visiting bicycle experts say that. They talk about a bicycle being a multi mode form of travel - cycle to the train station, take a train to a destination.

Given Melbourne's limited train line implementation and rules against bicycles on trams/buses - bicycles will never be a true multi mode solution.
  15. Somewhat apropos, you would have to think the jig was up being pulled over by someone as Asst Commissioner level. I bet when he called the local police to attend it was a quick response. :)

Re Chef's contention, Yes definitely, everybody and their dog feels it is their right to lecture you on the dangers of motorcycling.
  16. GUESS we won't be getting our bullet train soon then.
    or when we do it will be limmited to 100kph till it crosses the vic/nsw border.
  17. Capslock **** yeah !
  18. ****ing cock
  19. Change people's behaviour instead: "Carrying shit around is bad for the environment, and harms kittens." "Making selfish journeys is bad for the environment and harms kittens."

Don't mind me, I'm just arguing just to be obtuse. I actually have some faith that the public have moderately good bullshit detection, even if they are easily bribed and blackmailed.
    I'm often surprised by the people who will reveal their secret kitten crimes when they recognise a kindred spirit.

I have as many people warning me off cycling as the m/c, but none of them have a clue. No-one has ever told me to drive a car more carefully.
  20. Bikes are being spruked as God's own transport for inner urban traffic solutions, as long as it doesn't contain an engine it's deemed manna from heaven.