Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why look where you want to go?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by raven, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Need I say more?...

LOOK.

This is NR Pinx, fully focussed on where she should be (Notice Helmet), even though she got a somewhat startling surprise while ripping (oops!, I mean tootling) through this corner.

You hear riders go on and on about it to new riders, all the time...and just maybe it starts to become "blah blah blah"...
    Well, this photo clearly demonstrates ONE good reason to do it - SR (survival reaction) avoidance...staying focussed on where you are going, and not allowing the presence of the truck to take your attention away from that.

Edited wording to be more specific for the sake of avoiding any misunderstandings. My comment is directed specifically and ONLY at SR avoidance.

This particular thread is not about cornering technique! (which of course is "Look where you want to go")

John.

2. That's a great photo mate! Sells a really good message.

Now if only I could manage/suppress my SR's as well.

Fun Ha!

3. Wow... Noted boss.

4. Like this...do that..

633569962801446692-DirectionNeverlookwhereyouaregoinglookwhereyouwanttogoMotivator.

5. Cheers John. Lucky it wasn't a right-hand corner.

6. No worries mate. :)

Question: (to anyone)

What would you do if it WAS a right handed corner, and got the same surprise?
    (assume all other things being equal)

John.

7. I'll have a noob dip at that...

Right hand corner. Initially (before the truck appears) start left and aim to finish tight. This gives you the best possible vision through the corner and may even allow you to see the hazardous truck early enough that you can plan your line appropriately, perhaps so the exit point moves a little away from the right to the left giving you a bit of a buffer. If the BIG RED TRUCK just appears in view and interrupts your line of sight when you are looking through the corner then it would be time for a line adjustement and as it is blocking your exit point from sight you just got a new exit point which helps define your new line. I'm guessing (fairly sure) that it would be a slight relaxation of the counter steer, holding revs steady ignoring the brakes and furiously fighting the lizard brain so that you maintain your new line and ignore the truck safe in the knowledge that your original exit point allowed you plenty of room to the left "just on the off chance".

8-[

Fun Ha!

8. You might be a noob, but that was NOT a noob answer. Well done, mate! :)

Allow me to elloborate on your answer a little bit, to take it to the next level. And of course, while there are a few different ways to approach it, this is just what "I" tend to do under such circumstances.

As you said, you would ideally and crrectly be entering the corner from the far left of your lane, allowing you every chance to see what's ahead. Subsequently, you might see the truck early, and be able to adjust your line accordingly. Correct, and problem solved. Simple enough :)

But what if you don't see the truck until more into the corner and thus more committed to an already chosen line etc.?
    Well firstly it depends on one thing...
    Whether you know the corner...

If you do...then you are aware of the shape, apex and usual exit points etc....so assuming there is spacing from the truck on your chosen line, you do nothing, because the corner is in your minds-eye - you look "through" the truck (metaphorically speaking), and maintain your line throttle etc, as if the truck was'nt even there. In THIS case, the presence of the truck is completely irrelavent to your ride. :)

If you do NOT know the corner, and you have run what should be an accordingly conservative line - ie stay wide until the apex comes into view, then again the truck should be irrelavent to what you are doing. You look at what you can see beyond the truck to pick up clues on where the corner is going, and forget about apexing too aggressively. Just in case the corner is a double apex or hooks around (decreasing radius). Of course, you should also have adjusted your speed down to suit.

But WARNING, if you are fairly well committed to a line that will leave no safetly margin and you have to make a late line adjustment to run wider to create one, this can bring you unstuck, if what I mentioned above about the corner "type" suddenly reveals itself.
    In that case your adjustment is likely to have made your intended exit line all wrong.
    So it is important, to be flexible and open to making several adjustments if necessary, and not just assume that your corrected line to increase the clearance from the truck, is actually going to be correct for the corner after the truck is gone. If it tightens up for instance, you could easily be headed straight off into the trees.

So take it one step further and be prepared for a two phase correction (If it's necessary) One to create a safety buffer and then another to get you back onto the line that is corrected for the remaining part of the corner, as it has revealed itself. (effectively, you would be making a bit of a swerve - one way then the other, while cornering)

It's all in the timing, as to which scenario may unfold for you.

Or as I have had to do a few times, DUCK! or pull your head out of the way, so it misses the truck mirrors or goes under them. (without effecting your bike, of course.) :)

Again...a pretty good answer you came up with, matey. :)

John.

9. Case in point...

surprise.

You can't see her, but NR Pinx has just gone through the corner, only to be met by this monster, which came lumbering around towards me, a few seconds later.

Clearly, Pinx had to sit it up and take a wide exit after her normally tight apex through this turn.

Fortunately Pinx knows the corner very well, so was able to see "through" the truck (again metaphorically speaking) because she had the form of the corner in her minds eye, and knew what was ahead.

Pays to be alert and have your head in the game, as I am always saying. :)

10. On the road - I try to avoid running the line on corners I can't see around.

Very good demonstation of the look where you go message.

11. for some reason in corners I always think of this

4456918707_914b624639.

12. Can I just point out you don't just need to do this on the bike. You should be doing this in your cars as well. Especially for those (such as myself) who don't ride all the time, you need to keep this working, pretty much everything else falls down if you are looking as to where you want to be.

Teaching this stuff we use the old ball sports trick. You want to hit the golf ball, you look at it, same with tennis, squash anything. So on your bike, or in your car, if you don't want to hit it, don't look at it. Look to where you want to go.

And while this might sound stupid, its that much of a reaction to me, I walk like that now, looking up ahead, unlike sooo many people who look down at their feet. (the added plus of this is it makes you look more confident ;-) )

13. This reminds me of a bit of a scare I had this weekend, apparently I have gotten a little out of practice lately, but it was a perfect day (except for a bit of left over gravel washed over the roads) so I rode some reasonably familiar open roads. Anyway as it happened I approached a left (and blind) corner after a straight at about the speed limit (60 or 80) but (a) i was a bit distracted by another car beforehand and (b) it turned out that was a much sharper corner to the rest! So my car driving instinct was to slow down and steer, and as it can happen I must have forgotten to really push through with some strong countersteering and actually look where I wanted to be (as opposed to oh crap I am going wide!). As it was I straightened up a little and braked lightly, then took the corner from there, so I got lucky noone was coming the other day but I did avoid any other trouble. I'm not sure what to say on that one except it is all too easy to lose focus for a moment and so completely lose my cornering ability :S

14. Yep!...I've done it myself a few times...

I violently HATE IT when the sole reason I got through a corner was because I got lucky, and not because of good skill, riding technique, and experience.

*&$#%##!!!

Luck is fickle, and luck runs out.