Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why is it the one time...

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by davesquirrel, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ... that I see a queue of traffic behind a car turning in the right lane and don't move over to the left-hand wheel tread of the left lane, one of those queuing cars nearly collects me as he pulls out without checking his mirrors.

Right as i'm coming alongside, thankfully he realised and stopped but I still managed to lock the front wheel at 50km/h momentarily. No idea how I didn't lose it but i'm kicking myself for not doing what I normally do.

Thankfully the rest of my ride in was less underpants-change-requiring...

2. Can't take your eye off the ball for second on a motorbike eh?

3. Good job on avoiding it.

Really dangerous situation that happens every day and there isn't much you can do about it... If you go fast, drivers might not see and pull out and you've got no room to brake. If you go slow, drivers might not see you, or think you are far enough away and pull out and still put you in an e-brake situation.

Here in SA, the roads are fairly narrow and there aren't any bus stop lanes. So buses just pull up in the left lane and cause massive bank-ups in traffic. Happens a couple of times a day to me. I ride in the left hand wheel track of the right lane so my headlight is shining into the driver's mirrors. I also look for people with their wheels turned ready to pull out. If someone looks like they want to try it, I slam on the highbeams. Haven't had anyone merge yet (touch wood), but its only a matter of time.

4. I would be more inclined to slow down, cover my brakes and make careful note of any wheel movemnet from the car.
    Highbeams aren't going to help you stop and if a driver commits to pull out, EB or looking for a way out of the situation are much better options.

5. Ooooh, thanks for pointing that one out Quo...

That really should have been

6. Noice one :)

I used to ride in Adelaide and I always hated the buses not having a space to pull into.

7. Murphys law

8. I came across another situation last Saturday on the way to Homebush on Ryde Rd...

3 lanes, 70kph zone (with everyone doing 80-ish), dedicated (4th) right-turn lane for a side-street and a smallish Jap bubble-car sitting in the said right-turn lane with the blinker on. She must have decided that she'd chosen the wrong side-street and without turning off the blinker, jumped into my lane as a drew almost level with her. Had a car in the middle lane so I couldn't simply swing into the adjoining lane. Ended up splitting the lanes as best I could whist e-braking and slotted in behind her.

9. might just get my horn permanently wired on.

no wait, that's like something vic roads would come up with and try and push through.
    sorry, my bad, carry on.

10. They will make mandatory spinning flasher light thingies for your helmet too monkeyman! Flash all colours of the rainbow or something equally bad.

11. Its no coincidence. You're more likely to be obscured for a longer period of time riding in the RWT in that situation.

12. Shit happens because it can happen... Too right...

13. My next mod would be to connect loud Klaxon horn to my front brake. That will alert the cager as soon as I start braking.

14. Been applying this technique since (as well as giving stationary traffic the obligatory wide berth). (y)

15. I was told it's a good idea, if you're worried about someone merging from centre -> right lane, to ride in the left wheel track of the right lane. The reason was, that you continue the image of wheel/chassis/wheel/chassis, whereas if you sit in the wheel track furthest from the lane that is merging into you, you're basically invisible.

And then if you're in the left lane, worried about someone merging right -> left, sit in the right wheel track so that you're again, continuing the wall.

What's the verdict? What about in general traffic? Wheel track closest to the one that's being merged from (so light shines in their driver side/passenger side mirror, and continues the wall of chassis, wheel, chassis), or furthest from the likely merging lane (so you have more buffer + time to react).

(Same with if someone's waiting to turn through your lane, at an intersection. Was told to ride in the wheel track closest to them so your light is shining at them. It feels a bit odd because you're putting yourself close to the danger, but less likely to be harmed.)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

16. I don't think that's really true. If it takes 2 or so seconds to react to a crar moving across, you shouldn't be riding, period. You should be able to react just fine while riding the inside wheel track. Don't wait for the car to start changing lanes, react to a blinker or slight directional change. What you said is more or less on the money for casual commuting, also take particular care to stay out of blind spots.

My general MO/philosophy is to ride as though you are invisible. The way I do that is instead of letting other people decide if they want to see me or not, I'm past them before they get a chance to think about it. One you have a good concept of roadcraft, it's quite easy to keep moving through traffic at 10-20k's above traffic speed. It's the sort of thing you just pick up with time - eg, if you see a line of stopped cars ahead, try and put a lane between them and you in case one car tries to jump out of the lane, little things that all add up.

edit: as for turning traffic that is generally good practice. Another idea is to keep shifting you position in the lane so that you are a moving object, not just part of the background.

17. Cheers for that. But it seems to be the antithesis to the rest of the thread? Is it just a matter of opinion and how watchful we each are in general/how fast we each expect to be able to react?

E.g.
    Edit:
    Is that a little unrealistic though? If someone turns on you without warning, and they're going at 60km/h (if it's flowing traffic here, guessing that you meant stationary but now I'm asking in flow) and they turn 20 degrees to your angle, they cover the 1.5 metres between them and the whole of you in pretty much 0.25 seconds, which requires pretty incredible reactions. An extra half a lane gives you another 0.5 seconds...

18. 20 degress is very optimistic. 5 might be more accurate. Or even 2. Think about it, when changing lanes in a car, how often will you hit the cats eyes lane markers? Almost every time right?

If someone does do a lane change at 20 degrees, it will be because they are coming up from behind much faster than traffic flow (read 50+ km/h), will be jumping through a gap of maybe 3 car lengths and will be able to see into the hole they are moving to. Not trying to cut you down or anything mate, that's just the way it is. Also remember that the perceived angle from the drivers seat will be much greater than the actual angle on the road because we fail to take into account how much distance we cover in the process. Even at that much faster pace, the sheer distance the car travels in that time will mean the angle wont be much greater than a slower merge. With that in mind, a lane change at 20 degrees will only occur in crawling traffic.

Thats kinda my point. It really only takes half a moments glance to work out what traffic around you will be doing in the next few seconds, read the "body language" or driver equivalent. If in those seconds you pass the traffic you wont need to react to the traffic, be the protagonist. Not to sure what situation you are setting this in though, im responding for the situation in flowing traffic.

19. ok, gonna break this down piece by piece.
    yes to all the above

Again I'd go in the close line to create a presence. Now as for buffer + time to react thing, I say you have plenty of time to react as long as you're not banging against the door before it starts to change lanes. As for having the buffer, I'd rather be close to the car in question so that I can then move further into the lane and make a move from there. I guess it is a matter of preference and perspective, I'd prefer to view that area as room to move into rather than room that is taken away from me by the merging car.

But I'd also say the issue starts before that. ie. why did a car start to move across on you? Reading the traffic right you should be able to avoid that before it happens. That is where the idea of riding through the traffic rather than with the traffic comes from - continually scanning ahead and seeing what the traffic is doing and moving into a viable position up the road, rather than sitting and waiting for the traffic to do something. Remember that it only takes about a second to pass a car (ok maybe in the cb's case slightly more than a second), though it should still be obvious what the car is planning in that time.

yes, though if possible and there is a car directly infront of you I would want to move into the lane left of that and move up on the car in front so it is beside you by the time you pass the turning car. That way you eliminate the variable of the turning car.

If that's not possible, make sure the gap between you and the car in front is significantly large enough that the opposing driver has line of sight vision and then move about in the lane a bit - the moving headlight will attract the drivers attention more than a stationary headlight will.

Also factor in how heavy the traffic is. There needs to be a significant gap for a car to turn across a lane. Even an overzealous attempt will still require a fair amount of room. If you are in a heavy flow, there will be little to worry about.

Now, when it comes to the OP's case of moving past stationary traffic at speed, that is when you want as much room as possible. As I mentioned before, a whole lane would be ideal, and riding in the adjacent wheel track would not be ideal.
    hope that sorted out any confusion, let me know your thoughts.

20. great posts, the both of you.