Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why is it so?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Kez Across, Oct 8, 2004.

1. My Mum and I have been asking ourselves this question for a while (ever since I started riding), and since there is such a wealth of intelligence amongst the members here, I thought I might be able to find the answer for once! :D

Mum rides a 2003 Kawasaki VN800 Vulcan Classic
    I ride 1998 Suzuki Across 250

We both fill our tanks at the same time, at the same place, and reset our Trip Computers back to zero.

We travel to exactly the same place, usually me riding in front, at pretty much the same speed, and stop at exactly the same servo...

Our Fuel usuage is almost identical (give or take 1-2 km's/L difference)...

My bike uses LESS fuel than Mum's 800.....

The problem?

Mum's bike ALWAYS travels at least 5 km's further than mine (over a 100 km trip)! :?

2. Easy, either yours or her speedometer/odometer isn't true and correctly accurate/calibrated.

Ever tried those freeway markers that give exactly the 1km marks for 5 consecutive km's so that you can check?

3. Yep - the problem is, over a short distance (such as only 10-15 km's) they are accurate...
    Don't ask me why, but over 200 km's (when we went to Mt Gambier) she'd still only done 6 km's more....
    When we do the (bit over) 100 km round trip for breakfast, she does 5 km's more (well, 4.7 one time, 4.6 another, 4.9 another - you get the idea)....

I didn't want to have to add, that when Dad rides his 1300 with us, he does less than me again (although only by about 2 km's)... :?
    Mum always rides further than us, and uses more fuel.... LOL :D

4. suppose one of you could be taking really wide corners... :?

5. Hahaha... that what I'm always saying!! Because Mum's bike is a cruiser, she can't lean it in around corners like I do on my bike, so therefore she travels further!! :p

6. what about tyre size ?
    is your mum running the recomended tyre or is it slightly smaller , causing it to have more repatitions and clocking up the extra distance

does that make sense ?