Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why is it so....??? a question for all you builder types.

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Caz V1, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I bought a newish house 3 years ago, and it does not have any ventilation in the walls, my other house I owned previously had ventilation both inside & out.
    Like this....

images.

untitled3.

My new house is on a concrete slab whereas my other house was not.
    I would like to know why my new house does not have any ventilation and what the advantages or disadvantages are.
    I can't even slam doors now when I fight with my brother cos the house is pressurised if all the windows are shut, lol, how can one argue with ones family without being able to slam a door now and again :p

2. just remember to open the window before the argument. :wink:

Ok the explanation of vents: The first vent shown is a common type used for wall and sub floor ventilation. Sub floor is used to remove / change air beneath the house to reduce moisture and the chances of wet rot during winter. As a wall vent its used in double brick and brick veneer homes to alow air cycles and take moisture condensation off the brickwork and or saking... the blue foil you see on new homes.

The second vent is an older type masonry high level vent... you don't see many of these going into newer homes as these were mainly used in pre and post war double brick homes. These wall vents exchange the air at high level to the eaves typically where they can escape. When vent are also fitted to combination concrete and brick at the joins homes basements.

advantages and disadvantages for having them:

+1 on keeping floor timber dry ( you have a slab so there is no need)
    +1 for extracting moisture
    +1 for slamming doors and keeping windows intact.

-1 warmth during winter although timber floors feel less cold during winter!
    -1 uglyness
    -1 old technology old building system...

3. We had similar vents at our old house on the exterior to allow air-flow under the house [it was not on a slab].

As far as google can tell me:

- sub-floor ventialtion reduces humidity which helps avoid rot and discourages borers and other pests. [I guess this would be a similar issue inside gyprock walls{?}].

- sub-floor ventilation also combats 'rising damp' which hastens the deterioration of brick-work.

As far as the internal vents go, they could be to prevent humidity inside wall-cavities that would cause rot/pests...

- also, condensation dampness [due to humidity] in the home can cause surface blistering of plaster/paintwork.

I would suggest: sub-floor ventilation is required on a house that isn't on a slab, and isn't required when the house is on a slab [because there's no cavity to ventilate].
    Interior vents for ventilation aren't as required on modern homes because higher quality moisture resistant paints/coatings etc prevent inside damage from humidity. Also, roofing and flashings might be improved so falling-damp isn't an issue.

Here's a link that describes moisture in structure: what causes it, how it's fixed and how to avoid it.

4. Venting to exterior brickwork in a slab on ground construction is usually not required and you can a little air flow through the weep holes.

Exterior vents are usually placed beneath the damp couse under the bearers in a timber framed floored building.

As far as the interior vents are concerned, these have not been required for as long as I can remember and are a very old practice.

With the pressure of the door etc, it is probably a good thing that ya cannot slam doors :grin: but it does mean that your windows are sealing very well and your doors are also a very good fit.

If you are intent on slamming doors, you could always "undercut" the bottom of the door or instal a vent in the door itself :LOL: :LOL:

OR..............you can make peace with whomever before you gently shut the door :LOL: :LOL:

5. get a screen door? My mum used to smash that pretty hard after a "we are just talking, go away!" type conversation! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Luv ya mum!

6. they were used as per pervious poster have explained and (also heard along the way, think a lecturer told us) that it was mainly because older homes were built of green timber and as such green timber held alot of moisture.

Although this did come from a lecturer and you know what they say if you can't do it teach it..... so yeah :p :LOL:

7. So there is no need for me to go into panic about not having vents, cool.
    I nearly bought some plastic internal vents at bunnings last weekend, lucky I asked here first, I have saved myself some cash, and the hassle of installation... lol, can you tell I get bored in the winter when I can't ride my bike. So I guess I better look for a different project.

8. take up quilting....

duck and cover!!! :bolt:

9. :rofl:

I have a big box full of half finished girlie projects....
    cross stitch, quilting, unhemmed curtains..... but no knitting I do NOT knit.
    I think I should just throw them all out, I am over girlie projects thesedays.

I like to build stuff, and weld, and all them boy type activities.

Maybe it's time to buy another old run down house to renovate and sell.