Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why does everyone talk me out of buying a 125 2 Stroke?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by plainfaced, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Ok ive been reading this forum for a while now.. Im pretty much a total learner, only ridden a bike a few times a few years back.. Im 26, 5'5, 75-80 kg, and not too confident with the weight of a big bike..

Is there anybody out there that can talk me into buying a 125cc 2-strke, Cagiva Mito or Aprilia 125..?

Your points and my arguments..

1. Dont buy a new bike as a learner, buy a POS.
    I dont mind spending money on a new bike. I know I will probably go down a few times, but so be it. I dont think I will be wanting a big bike later on. I would rather a bike that I can handle, rather than a bike handling me..

2. 2-Strokes have to be well maintained and rebuilt after time.
    I live in the inner suburbs of Sydney(Newtown/Marrickville) and will be commuting to work (5min away). In my car I only do about 10'000 km a year. So on a bike i would only be doing slightly higher. Ive heard rebuilds happen after about 20-30'000 kms.. Why should I worry about a rebuild if i keep it well maintained?

3. They dont have enough power (apart from the short burst - powerband..?)
    Why do i need a bike that does 0-100 in 5 seconds? Why do I need a bike that does 240km/hr..? Im just wanting a bike to cruise the streets with and get to work and back. The speed limits around here are 50/60km. Wouldnt a 125be perfect for this?

Somebody tell me if im totally wrong..
    I dont want a 15 year old CBR250R that someone has patched up and painted nicely.
    I dont want to pay $2000 for a POS, when I can but a 2nd hand Mito for around $5000. Or a new one now advertised at $7999

My main point in buying a Mito etc, is that I ike the size of them. Im not that tall and im not all that strong. I would feel much more comfortable sitting on a Mito rather than a bigger and heavier 250-600cc..
  2. I'm not going to go into all the details, I'll just say this; if I could buy (as in rolling in cash) a Aprilia RS125 I would. They look like sex and are meant to handle like a dream.

Hell I would be tempted to get one for a track bike.
  3. +1 on the aprilia..... if I didnt get my ZZR cheap I would have gone for (250 not 125 though), the aprilia, an rgv or an nsr.

like you said if you drop it, so be it, get something cheaper than an aprilia, just to have a bit of fun and get a feel for it, then get the aprilia maybe. but if you don't care, or don't want to try something else and you want a new bike. get it. you sound like you're already talked into it anyways. by the way i think you should buy me one too. you know, just so youre not alone. :LOL: seriously though: buy me one.
  4. The worst thing you can do to a high performance 2-stroke is ride short trips in traffic.

You will get more reliability out of them if you give them a flogging reguly.

Also, its not the amount of power they make that is the proble, it's the way they make them. Absolutly nothing, then everything. Exactly what you don't want in traffic.

this will be further exaggerated by your weight. You are not heavy be Australian terms, but these bikes are designed for jockies. Seriously 50-65 kg.

I agree with the early 90's 250's comment. I reguly read the technical and trouble shooting forum here and they would be the most common bike in there.

For the work you want to do I'd suggest a VTR, but it sound like you want a fully faired sports bike. ZZR250 maybe?

As to maintenance, even if you don't get to an engine rebuild in the time you have it, when you come to sell it, if it's anywhere near it, then it will effect your resale.
  5. ....because you keep listening to them.
    Listen to their advice, take it in, then do what ever the hell you want to do.
    And yes that is my advice.
  6. A 125cc 2-stroke is harder to ride than a nice 250cc v-twin. It's all about the power delivery of a 2 stroke that makes life harder.

The 125 probably isn't making a whole lot less power than the 250 and weighs a little less to boot. However, the power of the 125 comes on quickly and at higher revs than a comparable 250cc 4 stroke. Whilst it's something you can learn to love (and hate), if you have little or no prior riding experience, it's something else for you to learn. And whilst you're learning, do you really want to add more things to the mix?

Once you're happy with the whole riding thing, got the slow speed stuff sorted, the combination or eyes, hands and feet working, then the 125 would be an absolute hoot.

Having said all of that, the RS125 is a 'mini me' RSV and will guarantee you sex with anyone of your chosing... :p
  7. from everything i have read these bikes make a great track bikes, but are lousy for commuting, due to the amount of servicing they require. I think i read somewhere that 2 strokes can foul plugs if not ridden at correct rpms, (although not sure if thats true or not).

To me, sounds like your looking at the wrong sort of bike for what you want to do
  8. Hey I'm 78kg and have a zzr250 which is about 148kg dry. I don't have any problems controlling it. I'm not going to try to convince you to get a 250 or 4 stroke because bikes are about what you want. Don't listen to anyone who says you should get a bigger bike because of x y and z. Bikes are fun, and to have fun, you need to be riding something you like. For me it was a 250 road bike, but for otheres its a trail or cruiser.

Now you're looking at this bike for commuting, however thats obviously not your entire purpose as you are looking at an aprilia 125, which is as as haggi said, sex on wheels. So it seems to me that you want to be stylish as well. If I'm wrong, then get yourself a scooter, for very little commuting, especially in traffic and around the city, they're perfect for you.

But as ibast pointed out, 2 strokes aren't designed for the conditions you'll mainly be in. But you seem to have the money to maintain the bike and eventually overhaul it if you keep it long enough. The main thing is, if a 2 stroke is what you want, then get it!. IMO scooters are for transport, bikes are for fun.

You should listen to everything we're saying and consider the different types of bikes with their pros and cons. But in the end, its what you want. I would advise getting second hand though, as if you feel after a few months that you'd actually like a 250, you can resell it without losing anything.
  9. 1 - why buy new when you can have something thats exactly the same thing for a couple of grand less? most learner bikes out there havn't changed in 20 years so why waste money buying new when you're getting the exact same thing second hand with a few more kays and a lot less $$$?

2 - 20,000 to 30,000 would be an upper limit, and then your opening yourself up to major rebuilds if something goes pear shaped (the difference between a freshen up and a top and bottom end rebuild is pretty substantial). it will all depend on how you treat it (not just maintenance, but how you ride it too) but really, why go this route when you can buy a 4 stroke that will do an easy 100,000 with little more than oil/filter/plug chages?

3 - the 125 would be similar in performance to a 4 stroke 250, but its all top end power. in other words, you have to ride it relatively hard to use its power or you'll be chugging around very slowly and fouling up spark plugs constantly. so no, the 125 would NOT be perfect for your city running around, they're essentially a detuned race bike with lights.

why not try something like a GPX or SPADA or VTR? the GPX and VTR are both still available new so you can pick up a good recent model if having something 15 years old is that much of a worry to you. they're small, light, cheap to run and would handle 80kg much better than a 125 stroker would.

honstly sounds like a scooter would be more your style. i wouldn't normally recommend it, but if your scared of a 4 stroke 250, it might be more your speed...
  10. You've already made up your mind, stop being a whinging nancy and go buy the difficult to ride, expensive, maintenance intensive race-bred commuter of your dreams.

Tell us how you go so we can giggle.
  11. In my opinion, i could think of a worse bike for commuting really. I've owned a GPX250, Spada VT250 and a GS500. All 4 strokes, excellent for learning on, Spada probably being the easiest to throw around. Totally understand your point about the CBR250s, I think they're a rort the prices they're fetching! I think you'd be very over the reality of owning a 2-stroke after a fair stint of commuting. Like everyone's saying, it's on off power and you really do have to strap them, hey, it's what they're built for! Agreed it's a sexy bike, but I think it's much more suited to track days, or the occasional weekend strap (and even then you'd probably soon grow out of it). Just my two cents.
  12. I don't have anything good to add...

I did sit on the aprilia at the expo and if I had the $$ and a big garage, or a mechanic for a best friend that bike would be in there for sure. but it wouldn't be my only ride... if you love the mito get it, if you want sex on wheels get the RS125... if you plan on just commuting get a scooter. Bikes are fun, owning an aprilia and only doing 10 mins a day on it would be like caging a tiger.

PS. I know nothing about 2 strokes, but the RS's look pretty damn sweet.

13. Not I.

If you want to buy it then you should expect to live with the problems that tend to come when inexperienced riders ride highly tuned 2 strokes.

Just don't come back later on complaining when the things people tried to warn you about start to happen :roll:
  14. Have you ridden one yet?
  15. Yeah thanks guys. I think finally some sense has been kicked into me and the thougth (or dream) of buying a Cagiva or Aprilia has been removed from my head..

Maybe a scooter is the way to go around the city/suburbs..?
    Are they as safe as any other bike (if the rider is safe)..?
  16. I can't be bothered checking, but wasn't it you who wanted to get Royal Enfield a while ago? If so, I must say you were more on the right track then.

The mistake you make is confusing small engine size with traits you actually want. These 125's are toys, in other words, racing machines. They hate short trips, slow trips, stop-start trips, and they probably hate getting wet too! OK, I'm exaggerating there somewhat, but the point I'm trying to make is they are not commuter machines designed for confined, traffic-clogged and bumpy streets of Newtown/Marrickville. Trust me, I live here too and I spend a lot of my time doing short trips around this area so I believe I can talk with some authority about what works around here and what doesn't.

Frankly, if you are really sure you don't want to do any longer trips, scooter could be just the ticket for you. 125-150cc scoot would do just fine.
    ... Or a postie bike.

Or if you really want a bike (I do, too!) then just a commuter like CB250 or the new CBF250 or Hyosung would do you - I use CB250 and I think it is just fine for my needs. Or go a step up to 500cc commuters like ER5 or GS500.

Or, if you're not scared scared of heights, consider something like Suzuki DRZ400 - perfect for all these speed humps! Heck, at least one KTM model around 600cc is supposed to be LAMS approved, too.
  17. Dude, go test ride some bikes, scooters too if you're interested in those. Then buy one and ride it many thousands of kilometres.
  18. :rofl:

....we all grow out of two-strokes eventually :p

gotta rev 'em too hard to make them work proper.
  19. My first bike was a 2-stroke (KR). It was a POS but it was extremely fun when ridden hard. That powerband was wild. But it sucked as a commuter. It just wasn't comfortable due to the on-off powerband and it was loud. Kick-starting didn't help either. The number of times I swore loudly at that bike when it decided it wouldn't start because it was a little too cold....

My second bike (Across) was much better for commuting - It was just more comfortable.

My recommendation is either get a commuter (read: not a 2 stroke) or get a POS 2-stroke.
  20. It's great fun researching your first bike but you can pretty much guarantee that it is just a stepping stone to your next bike whether you realise it or not.

There isn't really an ideal first bike so about the best you can do is pick a bike that suits your riding ability and is suitable for the riding you will be doing. If you only plan to ride 5km to/from work each day, go a naked 250. Cheap to insure, cheap to run, easy to ride, easy to do your own minor maintenance on and it will allow you go go for a decent road ride. If you plan to do 50-100km a day then you might start looking at something with a decent screen and fairing for some more weather protection.

Something to consideris buying the most "popular" 250 or LAMS bike you can find. Shouldn't be a problem selling it down the track when you decide you need to upgrade.

Most importantly, just get a bike and start riding and enjoying.