Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why do we pay 50% more in Oz?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by randy, Jan 10, 2005.

1. So.......the question remains: why does the Aussie Consumer pay 50% more for exactly the same new machine - than in the USA? There are no extra costs to the importer/dealers per capita. So where are our hard earned dollars going? Looking for an industry whistleblower now. :evil:

2. Jeez, still haven't quitted yet after all those replies you've had before Xmas...weren't there enough explanations at the time?
    Call today-tonite or the pope if that wasn't enough...

3. The question might still remain to you, but it has been answered. The bikes in the states are not exactly the same as what we get here in Austraila, they are modified to ment Australian Design Rules. Because we are such a small market this happens at a cost to the end consummer.

4. and the Australian dollor will also affect the price we pay for bikes..

5. John VTR,
    Not so. The popular models I have been looking at are exactly same specs ex Japan / Italy. If you have some information please specify in detail, but don't bullshit. For example, CBR 600RR, exactly what modifications have been made for Oz?

Realm,
    I am allowing for USD/AUD exchange rate, its still 50% cheaper to get a Jap/Italian bike in the USA than OZ.

6. then go and bloody well buy one there.

be happy with the price you pay here, the bloody things cost 100 - 130% more in the uk.

7. Import taxes, anyone? GST? maybe nowhere near a 50% hike stated with no supporting evidence but they do add to the end price.

8. We can argue this round and round in circles, but why don't you just go and ask the importers?

I'm sure there's a nice PR person at (eg) Honda Australia who can explain it in words of 1 syllable.

Then you can go off and chat to the friendly people at Fair Trading.

Then when you've found out all you can, come back here and tell us. Until then, how about some peace & quiet on the subject?

I mean, be honest - no-one here's going to come up with an answer that satisfies you, are they?

9. There IS NO answer that will satisfie this person, he can not be told.

But feel free to import as many as you like and maybe you can make a killing on them by selling them to all us non-beleivers.

10. There are no extra costs to the importer/dealers per capita.

Randy,

Unfortunaly this is just not true.

1. We only sell low hundreds of each model in Aus whereas it's thousands in the US. The Admin costs of not just the importeres, but the dealers and the proffits need to be spread over the total sales figures.

2. Bikes in the US are usually imported by the factory. Here it's an importer. The extra middle man costs money.

3. some bikes and many parts of Japanese bikes are made in the US. This reduces costs and may even give them a discount on import duties.

Unfortunatly I think we are being taken for a bit of a ride, but the prices wouldn't be the same anyway.

Also consider that the average wage in the US is lower then ours. This means the difference in terms of proportion of income is less then just the price with the dollar factor.

In the end it comes down to the fact that Australia is underpopulated and we just don't have a large enough market to significantly influence the market price.

If you want to do something about it, stop voting for the anti-imigration nazis or just breed more.

11. ibast, good luck.

12. I thought Australia was the best place to buy/own a motorcycle.
    We get all the bikes available worldwide^ (unlike the US), our bikes are generally cheaper to buy (taking into account exchange rates), I mean how much is an R1 in Greece?

But after taking all that into account you’re still not convinced, try buy anything else (DVDs, cars, furniture etc) is way worse.

^ Jap grey imports are specifically built for Japan so you don’t get them anywhere else either, but saying that, if you want to buy a 400cc whatever, you still can in Australia, just gotta shop around.

13. Marx 748,
    For starters, I don't give a flying f**k what a R1 costs in Greece. I can pick up one of these in the USA for less than A$15K on the road. Your information appears incorrect, please specify exactly which bikes are not available in the USA that are in Oz?

ibast,
    1. Whether you ship a few hundred or few thousand bikes, administration of a few bits of extra paper does not add up to 5000 plus dollars per bike. More bikes in the US but way more dealers, per capita about the same. Are American dealers just not as greedy? It would seem so.

2. Wrong, no "extra" middle man, unless you have some info I'm not aware of, please specify.

3. Harley/Buell are made in the US. Please specify exactly what Jap bike parts are made there, my info is all are fully imported. Oz have no import duties on bikes by the way.

This false notion that Australia has higher wages than the USA is similar to the common ignorant belief their crime rate is higher than ours. I have lived there, much better wages, much more disposable income.

C'mon people, cut the bull, gimme some facts to justify this ripoff.

14. get a better job.

15. Well YOU seem to KNOW ALL the ANSWERS. Why don't YOU tell US. Coz I Don’t give.............now how did you say it.........argh that’s right. I don’t give a FLYING F#CK what you think. If you know all the answers then tell us, OH GREAT KNOWLEDGEABLE ONE OR take a flying F#CK

GO AWAY TROLL. And what sort of name is Randy. Sounds like you are a reject American wannabe

P.S. Tell The Hand, but hey you are used to that already (using it for other purposes)

=; =; =; =; =; =; =; =; =; =; =; =; =; =; =; =;

16. Randy, you are not winning are you?
    I dont know the ins and outs of this matter, yes I wish bikes would be cheaper, I would have two or three, ...actually maybe 4 or 5, might ua well make it one for each day of the week!
    Domenico

17. 1. Whether you ship a few hundred or few thousand bikes, administration of a few bits of extra paper does not add up to 5000 plus dollars per bike. More bikes in the US but way more dealers, per capita about the same. Are American dealers just not as greedy? It would seem so.

2. Wrong, no "extra" middle man, unless you have some info I'm not aware of, please specify.

3. Harley/Buell are made in the US. Please specify exactly what Jap bike parts are made there, my info is all are fully imported. Oz have no import duties on bikes by the way.

Randy,

1. You are wrong that it's its just a few extra pieces of paper. It's the difference, from a logistics point of view, of being a small client, to being the base line revenue for an entire transport firm. The US market is lrage enough that the Japanese factories would be able to find a transport company that would do it for just above cost.

I am regulaly involved in the importation of engineered products into Australia. The difference in going from 5 to 50 can be as much as a 30% reduction.

The US's population is about 12 times ours. There are around 5 times the number of dealers. You do the maths.

If a R1 costs A$15K in the US then that actual sounds a little dearer then I would have though.

2. RIGHT!. I know that at least Honda import their own products into the US. I believe others do also. In Australia no factory (except maybe BMW) import their own products. Our bikes are brought in by companies like Ateco.

3. The Honda Gold Wing, a couple of the cruisers some of the Kawsaki cruisers are made in the US and I think many parts are made in the US.

Perhaps YOU should get your facts straight before you are so rude to other members.

18. Randy,

It is also simplistic to just convert fron $US to $A. To make a true comparison you need to convert back to Yen.

You are acutally comparing the currenieces which emphasise this. The Australian dollar has been doing well agaist the US, whreas its probably been worst against the Yen (with the exception of maybe the Euro). The US$ has been doing poorly agianst all other currencies but not as bad against the Yen.

The result is the US just has more buying power then US.

Really Randy the Bikes aren't too bad. It's the parts that are disgustingly dear. There ought to be an investigation by the ACCC about those.

19. hmmm, another d#ckhead that just wont listen, if you think our facts are so wrong then go and find the truth and report back when you have found out.

what makes you thing that the guys on netrider are gonna turn arround and say

"oh yeah, all that extra revinue from imported bikes goes into minister X's back pocket"

we are not the font of all wisdom (although some think they are) we just have some pretty knowledgeable guys and girls on the site, but as i said

IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE INFORMATION, GO AND FIND THE TRUTH AND REPORT BACK

dont just sit there whining like a biatch and expect everyone to do your reserch for you

good advice has been given, USE IT