Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why do they speed up?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by GoTeam, Mar 31, 2009.

1. I was going along Burwood Hwy tonight when I caught up to someone with an old cage in the right lane doing between 5 and 10 km/h under the limit. I changed to the left lane and was gradually going past without exceeding the speed limit. A bit further down the road the left lane had a parked car up ahead so I put on my right indicator and waited a couple of seconds before head checking. Well didn't that geezer suddenly find 10 km/h! I ended up finding 15 to ensure there would be no possible rider down or rear-ending of the parked car from me. Funnily enough, he dropped back to his slower speed after I was in front of him in the right lane. I don't get why people refuse to let you pass when they are quite clearly going at a slower pace.

2. because they think they can.

3. fixed

4. It's all a competition these days, who's infront of who, don't let him in........let me in........

5. ..not quite

NOW it's fixed :LOL:

6. you want to get back at them, if you pull up to a set of lights filter your way to the front and then take it slow from there, thats what i do.

ah the blissfull sound oh a car horn for 2k's is pretty funny

7. Its great when you get to the front of the lights and take off so slow that the lights pretty much turn red for them again.. :LOL:

8. I want to know this as well. Do they do it on purpose? When someone overtakes me on a 2 lane road, I lift off the gas and let them through.

9. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: As funny as it is, I'm sure I'd end up a hood ornament if I tried that.

10. I'd have to agree with the kicking off hard once it goes green. I don't like the idea of a cager on my arse :LOL:

I have been known on the odd occassion to frustrate the cager for 3 seconds by going quite slow in take-off and as soon as i see their face change from angry to "AAAAARRRHHHHHHHGGHGH" i gas it and watch the face dissapear in the distance. :LOL:

11. On the plus side, if I can't quite figure out if the seemingly slow car pacing me on the highway is an unmarked, I indicate or do a blatant headcheck to their side (obviously because I must want that lane, dontchaknow). If they speed up to block my change, I figure its joe blow and not a cop watching me to make sure I get home safely.

12. What a pathetic thing to do. :jerk:

You're on a bike, learn to ride it properly and there's bugger all a cager can do to delay you for more than a minute.

13. that is just deliberate aggravation. what you do is accidentally stall, then have to crank out the kickstart, but unfortunately the engine wont turn over. then you need to get off and do a running jumpstart, to no avail. Get the kickstart out again.

Then you flick back the killswitch and disappear.

14. It's a natural human behavior. The origins of Social Psychology can be attributed to a a guy sitting in park in Europe when bicycles became the new fad. What this guy noticed was that someone who was riding happily at a slow pace would unconsciously speed up when some other bike rider came near. He thought it interesting and did experiments on it. As such, he came up with a theory called Social Facilitation. Basically, innately we are competitive. That's why you get world records at races competing with others rather than training by yourself. Click Here to read up on it.

15. following on from krabi...
    there was a study with intern doctors where they thought that by altering their shifts so there was less overlap and therefore theoretically more chance to see patients that it actually turned out that they slowed down without the competition of their peers and saw less patients. human nature

16. cause when you pass someone it makes them your biatch and they dont like that :evil:

17. In regards to the natural competitiveness - when you see a driver that is likely to act competitively (expensive car, young 'hoon', middle aged ute driver, etc), I recommend to speed up to overtake quicker and more 'aggressive' then usual, because they have different threshold of perception of "who's worth competing with" - same as people are naturally competitive, they also naturally know the competitor is too strong. Therefore polite, slow acceleration or overtaking manoeuvres work perfect with nice calm people, while more aggressive individuals need more strength to be shown for them to ignore the urge to compete. Obviously - there always is a limit called 'too much' :)