Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why do people buy bigger scooters?

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by emsie, Mar 18, 2007.

1. I have a serious question about scooters :)

I get why people are keen on the 50cc scooters. Cheap, efficient, zippy, no specific (expensive) license required and, apparently, no gear other than a helmet required. Totally understand that, even if I think it's a ticking time bomb before a whole lot of overconfident scooter riders have serious offs. *laugh* I can't get off my soapbox even when I try. What I'm trying to say is that I get why people get those sized scooters.

What I really don't understand, and this is a serious question, not a dig, not a gripe, nothing like that, is why people by the bigger scooters. I know they're automatic and that's a big plus for people that just don't want to have to deal with gears (are they all auto?) but what other reasons to people buy bigger scooters for, rather than just a normal motorbike?

Like I said, this is a legitimate question ;) I am honestly curious :)

2. I'm a big bloke, and I'd buy a large scooter if I was still living in the inner city. They are designed for stop start traffic and narrow quarters manouvering, and that's exactly what you need.
    The whole point and shoot ease of an auto and bigger donk, plus the relatively large amounts of storage are pluses.
    I'd still have a bike as well though, for longer trips/weekends.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. So they practice thier stunting, wearing only thongs, t-shirt and a helmet, in true stunter style :wink: .

Seriously though, those small scooters are pretty small to carry a pillion or put your groceries in, they also have a larger compartment under the seat. That could be one advantage?
  4. Well I have two mature-aged lady friends on the South Coast who wouldn't be riding on two wheels at all if it wasn't for their 250cc scooters. They commute around town with great ease, and have done several 200km or more trips with us all on our bikes, kept up to the (legal) pace we rode and have had a ball, so I ask, why not??
  5. I understand the tiny ones - I hate the little blighters, but I understand why people want them. I am just really curious about Burgmans and the like.

(For those that don't know:
  6. quite a lot of ulysee's riders use big scooters cause they can't get a leg over anymore and still want to ride.
  7. don't get me wrong - I'm not against them. Quite the opposite really. Anything on two wheels with a motor that you have to have a license for, good on ya. I'm just curious about the bigger ones and whether it's really just about gears (or lack of having to change them) :) I can't see much difference between a 250+cc scooter and a bike except that you can keep your legs together and not change gears on a scooter. If that's all it is, fantastic :) Probably just my insecure core making sure I'm not missing out on anything by having a bike rather than a scooter *laugh*
  8. ahhhh fair call .. that on its own is enough to satisfy my curiosity :)
  9. It's also a question of styling as well.
    Some people like sports bikes, some cruisers, some scooters, some trail bikes.
  10. for some people I lot of it has to do with styling.

For me, it's primarily a commuter - from the northern Beaches to the city. That being the case gears seemed redundant.

I must admit, I will be ugrading in about 14 months, & I'm giving serious thought to a Harlet Sportster. Only because of the height - it's made for us shortasses (as so many Harleys are!) - which makes it extremely comfortable. My scooter choice for the upgrade is the Aprilia Scarabeo 500cc, but the seat height is higher. We'll see. It's a long way off yet.
  11. My Dad is looking into getting the Burgman when he comes of his restrictions. My brother and I tried to convince him to get a bike but he likes the scooters riding position and storage. Scooters are just his ride of choice :grin: .
  12. I own three other bikes, and since winning my 250 maxi-scoot I would need a lobotomy to go back to any bike for a simple commute. No clutch, blistering take-off up to 60kph, cruises comfortably at 120, runs on the smell of an oily rag, is absolutely THE splitting weapon, has room for a cut lunch and the kitchen sink, has top weather protection, and stops me wearing out expensive tyres on my BMW and Ducati.........no brainer from where I sit.
  13. I got back into scoots late last year and I bought a Bug Espresso 150 cc because of its bigger wheels. I'm 6', weigh 100kgs and I'm finding the Bug is a bit small for me. I just commute around town but I'd like something more comfortable and more powerful should I decide to go for a run out of town.
  14. Maxi Scooters keep up with big bikes when you're touring two-up.

Sports scooters are a laugh and a half, whilst riding around the built up area. You do need more than 50cc!

I have been riding bikes for 25 years and scooters for six months.
    I have ridden my own bike once in the last six months and i ride my scoot every day.

They are efficient and skinny, so you can split lanes and get through narrow gaps fast.
    Try riding your bike a km every minute in morning rush hour traffic!
  15. Some people are just too big for the small ones :grin:

16. the scooter is riding him :grin:
  17. Some people don't like the leaning forward, sitting on your nuttz position of sports bikes. people with wrist and back problems and feet problems too. In theory, a amputee with a false leg could ride a scooter.

Also some people may not be able to gain their license on a bike due to lack of co ordination or what ever and may be able to get their scooter licence. It's a bit like car drivers. Some people can't drive manuals easily and prefer auto's.

Big thing though about it is the style or taste. Even amongst bike riders you have your different "styles". sports, X cross, cruiser, harley, nortons. Well you have the same with the scoots. Sports, retro, cruisers, vespa's. even your wannabe x cross style. No word on a harley scooter but hey.

Me, I kind of prefer the gearless approach. I like the manual in my car which you can do all sorts of fun things with you could never do on a bike. So I do my fun in the car and the commuting on the scoot.
  18. I've owned quite a few bikes and have ridden on and off for twenty+ years. By far the most versatile bike I've ever owned was a yamaha T-Max. A 500cc scooter with a top speed of over 160kph. This isn't a 'claimed' top speed by the manufacturer...it's a true top speed. Further to that it gets there damn quick.

I don't know how many "P" platers I've embarrassed taking off from the lights when they're sitting there buzzing away on there little 250's.

Long and short of it is that they are comfy, fast, economical and when it rains you hardly notice.
  19. I've just moved up from a Bolwell 170cc to a Burgman 400. It has more storage space, more grunt, more range but similar economy and similar nimbleness in the traffic.
    My daily ride is 20-30km on the freeway each way, and then the stop/start traffic. The larger scoot handles the freeway much better than the Bolwell.
  20. A friend of mine, Byron, has a Burgmann 650 after having owned a 150cc for a while.

Despite its rather hefty mass and 650cc motor, it's quite fuel efficient, tours very long distances with ease - even the pillion seat is like sitting on a sofa. Underseat storage can fit two large helmets (and still have room for more stuff).

Quite quick, too - Byron can carry a pillion and keep up with my lil' VTR250 if I'm not keeping the VTR in the peak power band by wringing its neck. :)

So, that's basically it - They're quite fast and powerful, they have cavernous underseat storage, they tour more comfortably, better wind protection...