Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why do my hand grips keep coming off?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Swinging Beef, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Noob question, Im sure, but after every one hour of riding, my left side hand grip has shifted 1 - 1 1/2" toward gcoming off the handle bar.
    It only takes likie two minutes of grunting and growling to get it back on again, but why does this happen?

Am I holding things wrong?
    Are the grips shite?
  2. how about you glue them on with some good contact adhesive.

then lockwire them.

3. Maybe water got under the grip or the adhesive holding it just crapped itself. Eiether way, pull it off and put super glue on the bar then jam the grip on pronto. As Jimmy said, lockwire itif it's still a problem.
    Do this NOW before you do yourself some serious damage on the road.
  4. Maybe some cheeky bugger molested your bike. Did anyone leave a post-it note on your dashboard? :p
  5. Nah, mate.. Im pretty sure its me doing all the 'pulling off' 8-[

Super glue?
    So, whip them off completely and then the superglue will be 'runny' enough to get them back on again before it sets?
    They are fully rubber and seem tight as a sharks butt-hole, but just move slightly when riding.
  6. Bit of silastic? More time before it sets then :p.
  7. Masking tape. Good 3M Double sided tape. Splash a little petrol in the grip. Tip it upside down and drain. Slide the grip on and you have about a minute left to straiten the lines before it grips and does not let go. That simple.
    Been doing my bike grips and golf clubs that way all my life and it rarely ever fails. No wire bits to start a rip in the glove. And just cut with a Stanley knife and peel it to get it off.
  8. slide the whole thing off and pump it with superglue, slide it back in quick.
  9. i would rather not use superglue. contact adhesive is good because if you want to get it off, all you need to do is to spray some crc (or similar) down the grip and it comes off and is easy to clean up the excess glue.

i've always used contact adhesive, but only lockwire on my supermoto and motocross bikes.

on a road bike you shouldnt be hanging on very tight at all anyway.
  10. What kind of prick would do something like that? [-(
    At least they were kind in leaving a "sticky note" and cleaning up the mess.

p.s. your seat smells like butterscotch................. :)
  11. Are they cheap ass aftermarket grips by any chance?

Glue is pretty excessive, I thought hair spray was the old school trick.
  12. Moisture inside the grip is usually the culprit. That and old grips.

Start cheap and simple, then work up.
    1. Remove the grip and clean it inside, and clean the bar. Make sure both are really dry. Your girlfriend's hair drier can be good for this. Now refit the grip and see how you go.

2. Repeat step 1, but this time steal the hairspray as well. Put a coat on the bar, dry it with the drier, then refit.

3. Repeat step 1, but this time use real glue. I don't know about superglue, because it sets so quick you might not be able to get the grip back on, or off ... Epoxy might work. It depends on what the grip is made of. Talk to the bloke at the hardware store, ask for a glue to stick [this] to chromed steel pipe.

4. Replace the grips. Change them both. Cut the old ones off if you need to. Repeat step 1 and possibly step 2.

5. Get some lockwire, and take two or three turns around the bar end before you twist. Think about where your hands are going to be before you chose the closing and twisting point. A twist of wire isn't a comfortable thing. Race bikes are prepped like this - I think it's actually a part of the mandatory lockwiring job.

6. Lay on the ground and kick your heels up and down. Remember to mention idiots on the internet who seem to know what they're talking about.
  13. The grips are quite old, I guess, I just got the bike in December, for my LAMs 18 months, its an 1980s GN250

Where to shop for new grips and what to look for?
    Im not even sure if they are all one size!

I might try the epoxy method this weekend.
    Certainly Ive been told the bicycle method with the hairspray before, but wondered if it would be strong enough.
  14. Do the hairspray thing. Old tricks are the best tricks.

I have always pushed the grip on while the hairspray was wet, I always assumed it set and stuck down. I have never waited till the hairspray dried before pushing the grip on, seems like that would be a b!tch to get back on over tacky hairspray...

15. Sorry - been a while since I've done it. Yes - push it back on while the hairspray is wet.

Try the hairspray and see if it works. If not, try real glue.

You get motorcycle grips at a motorcycle accessory shop, which will be part of or next to a motorcycle shop. They'll have lots of them. They are not all the same size, although mostly there are a small number of standard sizes. Tell the parts guy what bike you have and he should have a book with the sizes in it. Then make your mind up about which ones you like.

The cheap foam ones don't last long. And they get WET. The ones with clear bits of polyurethane seem to look sensational in the packet, but they look pretty tatty pretty quickly. How long they last I don't know. If you look at the general type of rubber looking grip that bike manufacturers use as original equipment, that's the sort of thing I would recommend.

For what it's worth, race bikes usually have fairly thin rubber type ones, with a checker / sharkskin type finish, like the grips on a pistol. How well they last I don't know, but they always seem to be lockwired on. Some are black, some are grey.
  16. Not sure if it's the same for road bike grips, but for my dirtbikes i've always used hairspray. Don't laugh! Ask any motocrosser and they tell you the same thing. It also makes life easier when having to replace (which often happens with dirtbikes) the handgrips. Just use a compressor which balloons the grip and breaks the seal.

Super Glue or Epoxy makes for bloody hard work if you ever need to replace them.
  17. You should always lockwire your grips too! Hairspray and lockwire has always worked for me and many dirtbikers including myself swear by it. Never had a loose grip yet!
  18. i might try this hairspray next time i replace a grip. just for lolz.
  19. Ive always used hairspray also, spray on the bars and put grips on immediatly while they are wet which makes it easy. Nothing more required in my experience sofar but im not into competitions or trackdays either I guess

Good tip using the compressor to remove the old grips (I used to jiggle a small screwdriver around to break the seal lol)

I personally wouldnt consider superglues etc either, grips can be hard enough to get off just with the sticky hairspray (although the compressor trick might solve that) - I cant imagine the nightmare it would be removing them after they have been superglued on
  20. I have had success with hairspray. Someone here tried it recently though and it failed but so did all the other glues he tried. Seemed like the grips may have been slightly large for his bars.