Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why do my bars shake?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by stoo, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Decelerating with hands off bars ( adjusting jacket zip ) at approx 70kmh, the bars start to shake, I'm not game to see how bad it gets if I let it go but it gets the wobbles up pretty bad. No problem at higher or lower speeds.
    I've never had this prob with other bikes, but I've never had a roadie bike before.
    What the?

2. My bike does it too (16" front wheel) and I suspect it's got something to do with the smaller rolling circumfrence and wider tyre..... (but I could be wrong).
  3. Check your rear tyre pressure as a symptom of low rear tyre pressure upon deceleration is shaking through the bars especially if the wheel is unbalanced.
    you fail to mention if it rattles at any other times.
    Also look for loose chain and steering headstem bearings bearings.
    Another possibility though not obvious is loose swingarm bearings.
  4. The bike is a VFR800, rims are 17", Head bearings, chain, swingarm pivot etc. are all OK, nothing is slack but the rear tyre currently has 35PSI in it, but it should be 42PSI, hopefully that helps.
  5. Let us know how it pans out.
  6. How old is your front tyre? I had the same problem with my bike and they found the front tyre was delaminating or something to that effect. Mine started at higher speeds, only found the problem when I did the same thing and I took my hands off the steering. Chucked some new rubber on her and she was good as new.
    Hope that helps :)
  7. The old Mich pilot sports front wheel had a tread profile which would scallop as they wore out. The scalloping would produce handle bar shakes if you let go... but the tyres were still road legal.

Or it could be that your wheel is out of balance.

8. My front tyre is quite worn, a bit light the saw-tooth you get on a car with poor wheel alignment. Hopefully that's it.
  9. Front tyre. Some bikes don't even like certain brands of tyre too.
    My GTR gave me a massive headshake when I had the old Arrowmax on teh front, replaced it the next day!

Regards, Andrew.
  10. Yep, change your front tyre, that'd be it. Sometimes a different brand can do it from new, it's a case of suck-it-and-see. Changes in front ride height can make it or better or worse.
  11. I get the same thing with my across and i just put two new tyres on it. Everything on the bike is in good condition, had a major service done and got the bike checked over. Now if i let go of the bars sometimes it will shake and sometimes it wont.
  12. Is the saw tooth arrangement on the right hand side?
    If so it could be attributed to road camber.
    My r1100S was badly scalloped with the bt020 tyres it originally had and the bmw techs suggested that with the metzellers to inflate them further.
    Good luck woth it all
    I'd still try inflating the rear to your regular pressure before you explore any other options that may cost you money just to eliminate it from the equation.
  13. Both sides of the front tyre are the same, it has about 2.5mm left in the centre so will be replaced before long anyhoo, I'll just be careful when I let go of the bars for now, and I'll top the rear tyre up a bit too :wink:
  14. I have had this sympton since day one with a brand new bike. You can't feel it with hands on the bars, but when taking both hands off, there is a slight wobble side to side, barely goes through the bike. Just thought it was a 'bike' thing myself.

Tyres are to be changed soon, we'll see how it goes. :)
  15. 'have tried the rear tyre pressure thing, it's now at 42 PSI cold rather than 35, no difference. Hopefully the new front tyre will help when the time comes.
  16. get some metz z4's or similar. they wear really evenly and well.....that is unless you wanna be a racer :)
  17. Z4's have been out of production for nearly 2 years
    The Z6 is their replacement.
  18. what smee said, just went out and looked. definitely z6 :oops:
    i used to get z4's and have been getting them from the same dood for 3 years ;)
  19. I find doods are the best source of tyres too! :LOL:
    Hey Joel, I just clicked on your House link, you've got some nasty looking weeds on that lawn, I'd be using Roundup!

Regards, Andrew.
  20. Andrew, thanks for the heads up. I'm about to put one on the A1. It's on a rim from the wrecked GTR I bought from Qld. Just thought I'd try not to waste a good(?) tyre, as I'm commuting 115km per day now.