Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Why do HWP sit half way through a corner?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Romie, Aug 6, 2012.

1. On saturday I was going through the old pacific highway and on one of the C bends there was a HWP sitting half way through the corner. I wasnt speeding so it wasnt an issue for me but I was thinking surely they have rules to follow where they can be? Now lets say someone is hooning through there, the rider sees the HWP, whats the first thing the rider will do? A very good chance they are going to hit the brakes which could result with the rider running wide and crashing into the cliff face/bush or what ever is on the side of the road ...

Surely they shouldnt be able to get away with this. On a straight I would be fine with, even maybe the exit of a corner but not half way through a C bend.

2. Like this?

3. Because they don't want to stop you from speeding, they want to give you tickets. If they can get you for neg driving AND a speeding ticket, all the better as far as they're concerned.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I haven't heard of them setting up traps mid corner on OPH. Take photos next time

5. Exactly like that Vertical C

@grue I realise that but if youre dead because you hit a tree or something they cant exactly give you a ticket can they

@conspiracytheorist will do that next time, he was there on the way up and on the return home he moved off to a straight so maybe he realised it wasnt a smart place to be

6. Why cause they are a holes, harder for you to see them mid bend.

7. That's bloody low!
    I'd be in their face if I ever saw that. Regardless of any consequences.

Rage coming on....going for a lie down.....

8. Don't know about NSW but HERE are the Vic Pol policy guidelines for placement. I would guess there would be a similar document for NSW. Make a Freedom of Information request if you can't find one.

Criteria 1 says:

Sites must be safe for the camera operator, members of the public (motorists and
    pedestrians) and the mobile road safety camera equipment (vehicle/ tripod). Particular
    regard should be given to the degree of visibility and road surface approaching the
    direction of the camera operations.

Criteria 2 says:

A site shall not be:
    a) On a bend in the road;

Criteria 7 goes on to says about concealment

Camera Concealment / Disguise
    To maintain community confidence in the mobile road safety camera initiative, it is
    important for the operational use of the system to be seen as fair and reasonable.
    Under no circumstances are camera vehicles, tripods or portable flash units (when
    used) to be disguised by signs, logos, breakdown of vehicle (eg. boot open or spare
    wheel / jack visible etc), tree branches, lamp posts, rubbish bins or any other covert
    means.

• Like Like x 1
  9. What you have quoted is for private camera car operators. VicPol using Lasers etc have a different criteria.

10. Police can position themselves wherever they see fit. There is no road law which says where they can or can't be.

Justus.

11. Road law perhaps not, but they do not have the right to put members of the public at risk. Placing yourself in the run off area of a corner is such a risk taking exercise. Police have some latitude in areas of the law they obey during the exercise of their duty but risk taking with the public is not one.

12. Romie, did he have a laser or radar?

13. Don't they have to get you in a straight line on the radar for a minimum of like 100m or something? Can't see that happening around a bend. Sure they pull you over but what do they do when you ask to see the speed reading.

Just a thought

14. Quite a while ago I heard that police needed to get a ~3 second 'lock' on you to accurately detect your speed. I believe there has been precedent in cases where people have gotten off charges in court on the basis that the cops couldn't possibly have obtained a sufficiently long 'lock' on the offender based on their positioning mid-bend.
    It might be possible that this only relevant for the older radar detectors though... Maybe lidars don't require such a long period to accurately measure speed?

15. Whether or not this in fact was the case would be determined if an incident happened.

Justus.

16. This was sucesfully fought against a lidar in a corner

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/was-it-14...tle-to--beat-speed-charge-20111026-1mjce.html

Though definately YMMV on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 Ljiljan, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  18. down here they set up on the corners on Refton

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 Vertical C, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    The main argument was the time locked on.

Whether it was a corner or not is just semantics.

20. No, it's not, but you are probably going to try and weasel around it. The case hinged on the officer not measuring over a long enough straight rather than doing it in a corner.