Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why do exhausts have springs?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by MV, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Silly question? Presumably, it's for a reason, it could all be done with clamps...

For example, my stock exhausts have clamps, no springs, but pretty much every aftermarket exhaust I've seen has a slip together joint connecting the pipe to the muffler held on by springs...

Does it serve a purpose?
  2. Seems to me that it's a better seal without gaskets, and easier to assemble. Probably prevents fractures during an off too.
  3. It also applies a constant force to the join so it doesn't ever just get slack from becoming "comfortable". A clamp can eventually work itself kinda loose when everything gets old and lethargic, making for not too good a seal.
  4. My stock muffler is fitted to the pipe with springs and I get exhaust leak (bloody pain in the ass to keep clean) as it's not a great seal! I think it's just silly, never had a problem with previous mufflers bolting on!
  5. Pretty much any bike/car in motoracing uses springs as it allows a quick and easy removal if it needs to be replaced.

At tafe we had a spectrum formula ford ('06 open wheeler) which had the headers bolted to the engine, midpipes attached to that with a spring, then muffler on the end with a spring

Could be assembled in less than 2 mins

I can't comment on if its actually better or not, never looked into it