Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why do cops pick on bike riders?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hornet, Jun 8, 2005.

1. In the early eighties, the police blockaded the city of Bathurst for the Easter Bike Races, and stopped EVERY bike going into the city, not just the 1%-ers, but all bikes.
    They found that 30% of all riders had unpaid fines or outstanding warrants for offences.
    They found more than 30% of the bikes were unregistered or unroadworthy.
    They found more than 20% of the riders were not riding with current or legal licences.
    And they found knives, coshes, and all manner of offensive and illegal weapons.
    Now even allowing for the fact that the weapons were mainly found on you-know-who, these stats showed that a goodly segment of the bike-riding community had little or no regard for the law as pertained to their conduct, or their machinery.
    The proportions may have changed, but any cop pulling up any bike has a reasonable chance of scoring on something.
    And here's another scary stat. Queensland University surveyed all fatality accidents, cars and bikes in 1979 and found that 25% of all the drivers/riders shown to have been in the wrong in such accidents, had criminal records.
    Just WHO are we sharing the road with on a daily basis????

2. I smell a can of worms being opened...
  3. Not sure what to make of the criminal records one, but times have changed a lot since then (thankfully)

Remembering that the sample taken at Bathurst was a grossly skewed one because it was taken from a specific group of people in one place.

I think that today those stats would be vastly different. There are many more bikes on the road, per-capita and most of the people riding them these days are far removed from the typical "biker" of the late 70's.

However, remembering what the spectators at the top of the mountain used to look like by Saturday night during the Easter Carnival is a truly scary exercise and makes the statistics VERY easy to understand.
  4. hehe
    my dad told me stories of the crackdown on bikes back in his day.. where they found heaps of un rwd'd bikes.. luckily he didnt get pullede over.. haha :D rattly old bike it was
  5. A goodly segment of the whole bike-riding community, or a goodly percentage of the Bathhurst-attending bike-riding community? :)
  6. Read up one, V, I think it's clear that the stats derive from the Bathurst bike race attending community, though the cops did pull over every bike, whether they were locals, passing throughs or going to the races.
  7. Oops, I need to type quicker
  8. and 'bikers' aren't the only group police target of course.

i remember being at a rave on a property out near wisemans ferry about 10 years ago that had turned into a free-for-all. as a result hundreds of cars were convoying up from sydney so the police pulled every one over just outside the perimeter.

something like 80 cars were defected that night, not to mention all the contraband found. :twisted:
  9. It's also worth remembering that there are many aspects to the roadwothyness test and it's easy to have a little item overlooked. A long time ago it used to be necessary to have a mudflap that extended beyond the axle level of the rear wheel.

This gave any police officer an excuse to 'defect notice' a trail bike rider who might have annoyed him or her.
  10. Of course, you're right Josh.
    But I think the point is that, going back to the immediate post-war era, when motorcycling was still pretty agricultural, cops got used to picking on bikers because many of the bikers WERE outlaw types, or at least LOOKED like they were.
    Riding a motorcycle was seen as an act of agression almost, a "thumbing the nose" at authority activity. And the police have never forgotten that.
    But I must say that they are more tolerant than they used to be. During my early days of riding it was common to be pulled over for a "licence check" despite the fact that you were patently not breaking any law at all.
    Police still reserve the power to do that, I guess, but I haven't had that happen to me for years.
  11. Coz they can , thats why
  12. Where's the pop corn, I can see this one stretching to several pages.
  13. yep cops are pricks though, I'm just a learner and the other day I had a cop go past me the other way then it got to a round about did a U-turn and sped up just to follow me, when it did I thought fair enough... but then it rode on my ass, So I slowed down :D, right down to 40 in a 50 zone, I was in my back streets so I could say I'm just learning if they did pull me over.... They finally got sick of it and put on their siren I moved to the side thinking they were gonna pull me over and then they just sped right past me, what fcuken dweebs. :evil:
  14. That sort of stupid crap spoils it for the rest who are just doing a job. I guess there are nobs in every job...
  15. yeh, that's just straight intimidation, but unfortunately, in the end it will come down to your word against his..and you know who they'll believe.
  16. we got the same result when they did it to the "annual rose festival and train watchers convention at the botanical gardens" :LOL:
  17. Or they had a report of a stolen motorcycle matching yours, turned around and followed you long enough to do a rego check.
  18. I dont think they do. I find coppers are usually more polite and leanient on me when i get pulled over on my bike. I have been pulled over once in the last 3 years. It was for speeding (122 in 100 zone) and he let me off. I doubt he woulda done the same ad i have been in a car.

I think it all comes down mainly to A) what you've done to get their ire and 8) your attitude when they pull you over. Im always super polite and find coppers respond well to that. Ive actualy been let off a few times, probably because im polite, and eat humble pie when they tell me what ive done wrong.
  19. As I said, When they followed me I thought fair enough they will probably run a check and make sure it's all cool, but I didn't appreciate them tailing me so close when I'm just learning. Probably shouldn't have started my post with "yeah cops are pricks" but those one's bothered me. I'm sure they aint all that bad
  20. In a similar vein, and this is just my opinion from observation of myself on the spada.

If I ride with L/P plates on, I get tailgated all the time.
    If I ride with no L/P plates on and no panniers, happens occasionly.
    If I ride with no L/P plates on, with the gf on the back, more frequently.
    If I ride with no L/P plates on and the saddlebags on, I get tailgated very, very rarely.

As I said, just my opinion with no scientic study done. Frig knows why though.