Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why do bike boots look weird?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ryanwalrus, Mar 28, 2014.

1. #1 ryanwalrus, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
    Being a noob I have the potential to make myself look stoopid at any given moment, so I don't need any help from odd looking boots.

Is it just me?

At the moment I'm just using my trusty DM's that are approx 20 years old now but do the job fine.

However I think something specific would be wise? But I want to be able to go for a coffee and not look like a dick head!

<mod-edit> Read forum descriptions before creating threads.
    Correct forum: Riding Gear & Bike Accessories
  2. You don't need to wear race replica boots. There are plenty of 'touring boots' and 'urban boots'.
  3. #3 JJFAST, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
    The boots you wear are specific to what you want.
    You can go black casual, full race replica, touring waterproof boots, summer boots, normal boots etc

The real reason you think that race replica boots look like they are for dickheads as you say, is that they have things like heel protection and other features to prevent overextension of the ankle joint and basically look like that to give you full protection, while still being comfortable.

The problem with normal boots is that they are too thick across the toes, so changing gears is unnecessarily difficult, whereas stupid looking boots are extremely comfortable and offer the best protection when riding. The main drawback being having to walk like a robot and large logos. Though over time, you get used to walking in them without being able to bend the ankle much.

You know what they used to say "try it before you knock it".

You learn to roll in them when walking.
    The soles are stiff and the ankle joints don't flex so much.

Normal boots would wear out quickly on the toe shift contact point and when the boot scraps the ground at high lean angles.

Here's a subtle-style example :

There's a lot of these types now, if you are using the bike for a daytrip and want to walk around when you get there.

You want the proper leather ones though, the synthetic leather can get hot in Australia.
  4. Not everyone wants to pretend to be Rossi, so as some have said - there are boot with a more subdued look (e.g. touring style) for those who don't feel the need... Similarly, there are a range of "urban" style footwear from some of the larger manufacturers, where the styles are more suitable for all-day wear etc. That being said, I only wear my riding boots when riding, and swap to conventional shoes at work so horses for courses.

The biggest market however is in the "race" and "replica" boot market, as there seems to be a real desire by some to "look the part". And if that's what sells, that's what stores will stock.

It can be difficult to find touring boots, or those with a more subdued style, so you either keep looking, or you buy online.
  5. 'The Look" is just important for the 'racer wannabees' as it is for the 'outlaw wannabees'.

Personally, I suggest you try on a heap of different styles and brands and buy the pair that fit the best and are the most comfortable on the bike.

The same goes for any motorcycle clothing. Jackets, gloves, pants and particularly helmets.
  6. A lot of this is just fashion.

There are Plain Jane, almost always black, boots that, if you wear your pants over the top of the boots, look just like regular boring black shoes.

You can wear this type of boots to the office, and still do fairly good lap times on a track day.

But, of course, they don't stick out like dogs' balls and you tend to notice the more outrageous boy-racer boots.

If/when you get to the stage of riding in multi-coloured full leather race suits, obviously, you NEED the flash boots, in matching colours even.

If you go down the dirt bike riding business, then you may need to go with the full armour plated shin-guard and steel toe and heel tips.

BTW, assuming DM equals Doc Martins, be very careful with the laces.

Laces should be carefully tucked away out of sight, as very little is as embarrassing as falling off your bike 'cos the laces got tangled up with your gear shift or brake pedal.
  7. The high end road boots (eg SMXPlus) have support to stop hyperextension of the ankle. I've stacked in touring boots and was largely uninjured apart from some nasty bruises but couldn't walk for a few days because of the ankles.
  8. Ask @arc@arc what his foot would have looked like without the high end race boots he was wearing when he came down. To give you a hint...you wouldn't be able to see it bc it'd be gone.

Boots are made to do a job. Race boots look odd, but they generally do a better job of protecting your ankles. Personally, I don't care what they look like as long as they're not too uncomfortable. I wish I could buy a pair to fit my fat ankles and calves....I can't, I've tried.

Buy a pair of black ones..not as obvious..if you don't like the look. And touring boots are still better than non-motorcycling footwear.

Or wear cool runners and hope like hell you don't come off. Because if you do, there's a much better chance you won't be needing to buy footwear ever again....
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. I wear daft looking A* Supertech Rs, they fit under my textile trousers so only a bit of boot is on show and non riders have never noticed them.
    I like it that my protective gear has its form dictated by function.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Alpinestars SMX-1 is a great ride shoe thats easy to wear with any trousers. My favourite.

I do get strange looks when wearing with a suit in board meetings though. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I'm not really familiar with any of these boots you're talking about - I only have some touring boots, which are comfortable and acceptable to wear at work all day if I need to. Otherwise its DMs on the odd occasion. This thread has me thinking of getting something that would prevent this hyperextension injury scenario.

My question is about the value of something like an SMX-1. Surely that's not going to prevent the hyperextension, right?
  12. This is one of the reasons that I wear the Super techs. The exoskeleton thingy and the separate inner boot are designed to reduce hyperextension.
  13. That may be true, although, these ride shoes offer good protection in other ways that ordinary shoes, house slippers, or thongs, will not.
    I generally wear the SMX-1 whilst commuting. I have other more protective boots for the longer rides where speed and twisties may come into play.

SMX-1 review at Revzilla. I got mine from MCAS.. $160 from memory.
  14. Great info guys. Thank you.

I didn't mean to imply that the odd looking boots are for dickheads. In fact I didn't say that. What I meant was I don't want to add to my own levels of stupidity with boots that I think look odd. That said, I totally appreciate that looks don't matter in the event of a spill.

I guess I'm looking for something that looks great (in my opinion) but are extremely effective. Maybe they don't exist and I need to compromise.

The DM's are a short term answer. They don't feel safe and clearly aren't made for the job. Now to go shopping...
  15. these are what I wear

16. My next purchase.

17. #18 oldcorollas, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    I thought I'd spend a bit on first boots, so they'd last a while..
    Dainese Long Range boots..

really comfortable...

BUT...they didn't last 15 minutes before they started falling apart... Italian quality eh?
    will be taking them back this week..

if they fall apart while riding, what would happen in a crash???

18. Had a decent ride today, about 150 k's, in the DM's. As I said before, they do the job but definitely a short term answer.

Too clumsy to feel slick and effective so I really need to find better fitting boots.

After reading the comments here I'm starting to care less about looks and more about comfort, practicality and safety!
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Can I throw in a bit of nationalism here?

As a first approximation, I suggest folk try Rossi (made in Oz) boots.