Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why didn't they stop?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by FormerUser3, May 18, 2005.

1. My misses has just got her learners and went out for her 3rd ride around the back streets, well she struggles with right turns and dropped the bike at no speed, just a bent brake lever.

But she could't lift the bike back up, petrol going everwhere, and it took three people to pass before someone would stop and help her, bike on the road and all.

So for the three that passed without stopping, thanks for nothing!!

I have given her the keys to the VTR so I don't cry every time she takes it out, its her bike now. That's No.2 drop, but thats what learning is all about.

2. Hey Steve, I have seen much worse.

That is peoples percetion in full - perfect example

3. Unfortunately the general public still see us as big bad bikers. Same thing happened to me when I was on my learners.
    Dropped the bike, was pinned under the bike and cars just drove by, it could have been something to do with me being at the cremetorium and people having other things on their minds tho :shock:

4. Hey Steve, good thing you are supportive.

Perhaps you can teach her how to pick it up so she is not flustered next time? Can be done. I went to help a five foot one lady pick up a softail a few years back and got a mouthful. She had no trouble from the bike or me.

5. Hmmmm, pinned down in front of a crematorium.... Why do I find that sexually exciting....

6. poor missus.

The one and only time I dropped my bike (second day of ownership) I nice man stopped his car, said "Do you need a hand?" and helped me out.

Maybe she doesn't look enough like a helpless chick, the way I do? ;)

7. where was the petrol coming from? :eek:

8. Steady on, Mitch. That's Deb you're talking about. Get a grip, man. People will shun you on the street.

9. I know I know... I cant help it... I have been away for 2 months and need for fix of perversion.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

10. Either you are into Necrophilia or it's been way too long Mitch ;)

11. Says you!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. The cap on the petrol tank, don't think the honda has a great cap system, it's the one that just clicks in.

13. Look, a caveat on this opinion before I start, because I am not a mechanic, but I think it is a fair bet it was the tank.

14. I see it's that time of day again.

15. Oh dear, I can feel another poll coming up.

16. the system is fine, your just not meant to have the tank on its side :wink:

honestly, i dont think it had jack shit to do with public perception towards bikes, i think its just that ppls dont give a rats. your missus saw 3 ppls go past without help and number 4 helped? i'd say she did pretty damn well.

i've sat out on my ute after it ran out of petrol for 2 hours on a relatively busy road and only 1 person stopped to ask if i needed help (luckily, i didn't). i've also helped out a middle aged lady who didn't have the strength to change a flat tyre and had cut up her hand trying, i was the first person that even glanced at her, let alone helped. and then there was the bloke that was pushing his motorbike for a couple of kays before i stopped to see if he was ok, turned out to have a real loose chain so i showed him how to slip it back on so he could get it home and tighten it...

public perception of bikers my ass, no-one gives a shit about anything but themselves anymore IMO. :?

17. Hey Steve, that happened to me too when I fell off my bike at a roundabout near home. At least two cars came up to the roundabout, slowed down, had a look and went on their merry way.

Thankfully, there were two guys coming back from Xmas late night shopping @ Knox who helped me out.

Cheers
    Lids
    :D :D

18. Heh, heh - he said "poll"...

19. i've come off after hitting a wet tram track and the b*#ch behind me BEEPED me for falling.

there are all kinds out there...

20. Yep, one time when i dropped my old GS500 was having a sh1t of a time picking it up, did the sign language thing with a bloke in a car and he helped but definitely seemed peeved about it.

The last time i droppped the GS managed to pick it up fine though after reading an article on "the technique".
    Since i've bought the storm i just make sure im unconcious so someone else will pick it up for me :p
    Worked a charm! :)