Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

why did honda stop making the CBR250RR?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by wheeler84, Sep 26, 2007.

1. It has to be one of if not the most common learner bikes in Aus, and from what I hear in places like Ireland, NZ as well... isn't Honda mad to stop producing such a popular bike?

Not only that, but I thought they were worth 5 or 6 grand when brand new and have basically gone up in price due to demand? I would think with another 10 or so years of bike technology a new model would instantly assert itself as one of the best 250s in the world...

2. Because they're fools! :p

No idea why, they didn't replace it with anything similar so demand must have deteriorated or something..

I'm sure we will see the big 4 bringing out some cool new 250s in the next couple of years. Kawasaki is coming in with a new Ptwin 250.. There are rumours that it could have up to 45hp! That seems like balderdash since the old cbrr i4s were 45hp on the best models. I guess the question is, has technology advanced enough in 10 years so that we can get 45hp out of a 250cc ptwin with FI? Keep in mind sv650 vtwin engine produces 70hp and its 2.5x the capacity!

So I would guess 45hp figures are bull. But I'd expect some increase from the old one.. But not much?
  3. Yeah it's a popular bike ,I wondered the same thing.

Seen the new kawi 250 release last night.

There is a thread on it ,if you want to talk about it.

But I think you will fined that the 15 year old CBR250RR for $8000 rideway ,will be worth $4000 in 6 months.
    If not already :wink:

Why would you by a 15 year old bike for $8000.
    When you will be able to buy a few month old Kawi 250 ,or a brand new one for around $8000.
  4. The price will drop, except the new Kawa's parts will be astronomical.
    Also there will be at least a year lag before there are any decent aftermarket parts.

Drop a CBR250 = $ hundreds
    Drop a new Kawa = $ write off or at least 2 grand.
  5. I can safely say it has something to do with patience... (although I didn't pay that much :) )
  6. A 250 single with pretty much everything thrown at it will get you to 40. A twin would be no worries.

....not sure if it would still have 10,000km service intervals though. :LOL:
  7. I'd have thought the CBR was discontinued because it no longer suited certain licensing conditions around the world... Perhaps Europe went from a 250 learner license to a 125, or the other way.
  8. Loz is most likely correct. As more markets move away from purely capacity driven restricted licences to other options 250cc screamers become less common.

Also, inline 4's are a very high production cost for a little 250.....

Also, tighter emissions and noise regs tend to kill small cc vehicles. Seen how many two stroke 250's are being sold these days?
  9. High production costs, pressured margins in the market sector

Simple, really......
  10. thats it , it cost too much to make basically

pretty much the same cost to make as a 1000cc that sells for $17K
  11. I believe they stopped producing them because of changes to Japanese licensing laws. Basically, everyone who wanted a sportsbike rode a 250 or 400 because owning "big" bikes was either extremely costly or difficult due to laws. When the laws were changed, well... who is going to buy a brand new 250 when you can get a 600?
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

Actually, here you go I found it:

Honda tried selling surplus stock as new bikes here in 1998(?) but I believe there wasn't enough demand.
  12. A new p2 can easily make 45hp, the comparison to an sv650 isnt fair in some regards, the sv650 is designed to be a low strung engine, where as a 250 almost always is. the sv650 will make bucketloads more torque then the 250twin regardless of hp. The 250 can also rev faster because it has smaller parts.
  13. I heard it was because they ran out of faulty regulators/rectifiers :LOL:
  14. Bingo. Some 250s have survived like the 250 Hornet but by and large they were replaced by 400s - which can be ridden with the same licence. Demands in other countries aren't important, especially when you consider that Japan has some 14 million motorcycles - most of which would be much less than 250cc (50cc is actually the biggest selling class). The relative handful of learner bikes sold in Western countries is pretty insignificant in comparison, no point keeping something like the CBR in production just to keep us happy.
  15. Correct.

It was replaced by the NSR125 that was built in Thailand and hated around the world as teh reliability was shit.

The user manual even stated that it should not be ridden at more than 90km/h for sustained periods on freeways.
  16. Which has now been replaced by the CBR125R... which is a much nicer bike by all accounts than the NSR150 (it'd certainly have to be more reliable!).

250 restrictions exist in very few places now, whilst 125cc restrictions are still reasonably common.

At least Honda resisted the temptation to make the baby CBR a multi :idea:
  17. thanks for the insight everyone! Speaking from an inexperienced and biased position, I do love the babyblade but by the time the next gen 250s might be released, i'm afraid it'll be time for a 1000 for me!
  18. A 250 is for a short period of time , the CBR 250RR is the best way to do it if you're keen on learning to ride sports bikes for their intended purpose.. I'd rather ride one of those than a 650 twin any time. Either that or get a stinky stroker 250...if you've got a high maintenance lifestlye ! I learnt knee down on a Baby Blade , did over 35,000 ks on it too and it ran like clockwork afterwards.

Depends on what riding you want to do really...you could always get a Hyosung ..... or yeah jump straight on that 1000 ! yeah thats it !!! :LOL: