Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why are they called squids?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by enzise, Dec 11, 2006.

1. probably noob question but why are people that ride with no protective gear on called squids?

is it sumthing to do with squids having no skeletons or something??
  2. Because after an 'off' they are gonna look like raw squid on a plate...........
  3. Because they are delicious, fried in batter with tartar sauce.

OR because the helmet is like the hard head, and their exposed limbs like the soft unarmoured tentacles danging underneath.

... and dark liquid[ink?] shoots out of them when everything goes wrong ;)
  4. In the 'States, we call 'em "Squidiots." Same reason.
  5. .. because they have their tentacles into all types of motorcycling; sports bikes, nakeds, cruisers and especially scooters. And because they will drag you down with them once they get their tentacles around you :LOL:
  6. You are in the wrong thread hornet, the MRA thread is over here..........>>>
  7. You'll get us all into trouble with stuff like that, inci :LOL: :p
  8. oh bugger... i thought this was going to be a joke :?

i always assumed it was cos they have no leather, fur, shell or feathers to protect 'em.... so make sure, next time you ride, you wear your leather g-string, fur coat, shell neclace and feather boa and you'll be right mate :grin:
  9. From Wikipedia

A squid is an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is derogatory and common among motorcyclists in the United States and is generally associated with a new or reckless motorcyclist seen riding erratically and/or beyond his or her capabilities, often without appropriate riding gear.

The origin of the word is varyingly attributed:

* A contraction of:
    o "Squirrely" and "kid" (possibly taken from California surfing culture), or
    o "Squished" and "kid"
    * An acronym for:
    o "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous", or
    o "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead"

Note: both of these are likely to be backronyms
  10. Coming soon to you nearest Motorcycle Accessory store; Carri's Squid Range. Don't be seen in Casualty without it! :LOL:
  11. :WStupid:
  12. The Wikipedia entry's interesting. I've noticed from US forums that over there, "squid" seems to related more to riding behaviour than the wearing (or not) of protective gear.
  13. speaking of squids, I was at a bike shop this weekend getting a new pair of boots :grin: :grin: :grin: and this guy hops on his bike with a singlet on, I don't pay much attention, it's a free country, but then his kid probably 10 years old hops on the back with singlet and shorts.
    I don't care what you do with your own skin but for gods sake don't the let pillion hop on like that even more so if it's a child

14. I've seen (in nth QLD at least - none down here) guys that would have to be in their 40s-50s riding large cruisers wearing only a singlet, shorts... and THONGS (flip-flops that is)!!! :shock:
  15. I would've thought the origin would be that these riders were like squids - really poor at turning, but once they were headed in the right direction, shot off quickly (ie pansies around corners but heroes on the straights).

That's what comes to mind, although that's clearly not the context it's used in today? bleh.
  16. yeah, but the thongs have upper foot protection... you know the hard rubber part that holds your toes in! :p
  17. In motorcycling, the squid term basically comes from the 80's American motocross terminology, basically it means a 'dork' or 'geek', someone without style or motorcycling fashion knowledge.
  18. Ohh, give him a break it was hot over the weekend!!! :wink:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning & decided it was because Squid don't have an outer shell...
  19. as i was crowing about my new Joe Rocket mesh jacket, i made the comment that i was sweating my ass off last year, what with wearing full leathers and all. the response i got was 'just doff it, mate. peel the jacket off and get a tan.' fcuk no. have you guys had a look at the road surface lately? in the states you can somewhat get away with it, but not here. there is a reason y'all dont call it 'blacktop' or 'pavement'. its a freakin cheese grater. im suprized tires last as long as they do. we have this stuff, chipseal, that is similar, but fcuks sake, mate. its gravel and tar. its smooth compared to the bitumen. the though of riding around without jeans and jacket on is nuts. squids dont have a very large brain either. that may be part of it.
  20. OKay I'm about 99% sure on this one... squid- simply comes from british rhyming-slang- squids refers simply to "kids" now as to its current use... now, amongst the high-horsing older generation, anyone on a fast sports bike with buger-all protection, thinking themselves to be superman, was a kid, a stereotype only validated by its unfortunate commonness...
    SO... what was a comment originally aimed at ones youth, dress and ride, became a generalisation, reflecting a riders attitude.