Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Why are Australian Riders being ripped off ?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by bretb81, Sep 24, 2007.

1. I am sick of being overcharged for parts and accessories. I am now ordering my parts from the US and having relatives ship them back. It's not just aftermarket parts, I was quoted $70 for an instrument surround from Suzuki here and got it from the US for $35, $320 !!! for a seat cowl from Honda here and got it for $170 in the US, $350 for Pazzo levers here and bought them for $175 in the US. Quoted $1200 for a Yoshi here and $600 (delivered) in the US. Cox rad protector $150 here and $65 in the US. etc, etc The Yoshi had a 8 weeks delay from ordering here, so it's not due to small market and keeping stock. It seems that Australian distributors are at least doubling the price. If you need enough parts it would be cheaper to have a holiday in the US and bring your parts back. It's getting like dentists, where people are having their teeth fixed in Thialand and having a holiday with the savings. Where is the ACCC ??.

2. Who needs the ACCC when you have Ebay :p.

3. I wanted a second seat for the 14, as the cowl is hard to get off, and taking it off and on, i was worried i would break clips. It is a full seat, rider and pillion combined. I rang the dealer and got quoted $670.. :shock: So from the states brand new to my door $250.. I know exactly what you are saying.. :grin:

4. Given that most of our stuff is now imported, why bother going through the likes of Monza Imports and other importers when Ebay can be far cheaper? Or deal direct with the supplier via websites or whatever.

Thing is, too, we're finding more and more sellers in the US who aren't willing to ship outside of the country. They're citing stuff like fraud, etc..

I wonder if they're simply too lazy to make a change to their postal processes for an international order, or that they think they don't need the business.

5. The problem with ebay, is that US shops on ebay are starting to refuse payment from overseas accounts. I think it is due to account fraud. JC Exhausts, on ebay, are great, as are Troy Racing. There are a number on US shops on-line which take O/S orders and accept PayPal which are just as cheap as ebay. Superbikesupply, Bike Bandit, Motor City Powersports etc. They even have OEM on-line parts manuals with prices. Postage from the states is about the same as from TAS and its quicker !!, if it's not too heavy.

6. I just ordered $2000 worth of bits from a seller in the USA. I am happy to pay a small premium to buy locally but the US$2000 items here were exactly AUS$4000. Obviously I am out of pocket $300 in freight but still way cheaper. The importers here dont work on big vloume like the USA, hence the higher costs

7. The reason the sellers don't like to post OS from the states is due to their mail syatem. Parcels within the states can be posted from just about anywhere, office supplies etc. However international parcels have to be posted at the post office and there are long waiting periods at these. The postal workers are also known to be a bit on edge and they are paranoid about terrorists sending bombs. Jegs have a surcharge for internalional orders to offset this, it's about the same price to post a bolt as a fender. I have talked to a shipping company about using their address in the US as a delivery address for parts and then have them forward them back at regular interval via surface freight. Setting up group orders would be the way too go.

8. Don't forget the local suppliers have to pay import duty & GST on the parts they import into Australia.

Don't forget you should also be paying import duty on the parts you import which could add a signifigant amount to the cost if/when you get caught.

9. Only if you've ordered goods over the value of $1000 in one hit. There's no import duty if it is under this amount.

10. Had the same thing

Aprilia Australia wanted $380 for a clutch for my RS125, I ordered a genuine Aprilia clutch landed from the UK for $170

11. Same reason a Monaro is $65k or so here, but $30k US or so.
    It's a basic sales rule, charge what the market will bear.

Regards, Andrew.

12. I think thats the reason for the much higher prices, consumers are used to paying the higher price and it seems normal to them

13. one of the other reasons some US based companies do not sell overseas orders is the credit card fraud as mentioned previously, but I felt I should expand on this.

The businesses can check US bank info and match the billing address / statement address for a card to the mailing address for a parcel, reducing the risk of fraud...... unless you want to wait for it to arrive at the person's house who's card you ripped off and steal it from their doorstep or something. They cannot validate overseas bank cards so therefore just go with the 'no overseas sales' bit.

A client thru work was trying to buy a fairly expensive camera from a US company (it was about 60% of the cost) and they requested a faxed or scanned bank statement showing the address and account number / name before they would accept payment.

Also as previously mentioned, GST and duties apply only if the value of the package is in excess of $1000 AUD. I got a limited slip diff for my car from a reseller overseas and they wrote down the value as $975 even tho it was actually $1200 lol.

14. The free market global enonomy is starting to make it's a difference to how we buy. We have probably been ripped off for years and it is only now that it has become evident. I read an interview with a motor industry exec, he was saying that within ten years all cars will be bought on-line. The cost of having a caryard was becoming too expensive. I can see this happening sooner with bikes. There are already manufacturer sponsored ride days to demo the models. Not many shops have demos anyway and you are expected to buy without a test ride. Bikepoint, Bikesales and ebay are becoming the major source of 2nd hand bikes. On US ebay you can even finance your purchase (ebay finance) and now there is an ebay credit card.

15. I like being able to walk into a shop and look at various bits, maybe even try them on (helmets, gloves etc). I that would be very hard to do without our local shops. Sure they add a mark up on everything they do, but it's a business they are running not a charity. When you have run your own business you understand all of the hidden costs just to keep the thing running, let alone make a profit. Good advice and product knowledge is something I'm happy to pay for.

16. There's a difference between a markup and plain old gouging, which 200+% profits are..............
    Shops will always exist, IF they get their heads out of their asses and realise that in this century, people will comparison shop online, and they WILL lose business if they try to gouge.
    Most of the sensible shops also tend to run an online point of sale of some sort, whether it be a dedicated website or through Ebay or similar.
    Why pay for someone's $2000/week rent, or dumb minimum wage shop asistants, if someone in a less trendy shopping precinct 15km away who actually knows and imports the product is cheaper?
    I really have to laugh at your statement that you find good product knowledge when you shop, I haven't seen it in a retail store for around 10 years now. As for good advice, I won't be taking that off someone who has to read the label to answer any questions I have about a product!
    I have run my own business too, I know the costs involved. if your profits aren't good enough to make money with a 100% markup, you have business issues, why should customers pay for your incompetence?

Regards, Andrew.

17. 200% profits.... I can't make comment on that as I don't think I have seen the bike shops I frequent do that on products over say $50. For smaller items they may and probably should. A crush washer may cost them $0.05, but they need to sell that for $0.50 to cover the cost of ordering and doing that transaction etc.

As far as good product knowledge goes I don't go to your supermarket style bike shops, in fact I make a point of staying away from them. The shops I go to usually have good knowledge of their product (as they carry a smaller range) or they own that piece of equipment themselves.

Your point on business issues, well I'd like to see how these people complaining of high prices go in their own bike business.

18. Did you pay duty on the OS imports ?

19. Hmmm, I have worked in the motorcycle industry for over 30 years, I have raced & road ridden motorcycles for over 30 years, anyone is free to come into Cosway Motorcycles (Melb) where I am a bike & accessory salesman for motorcycle, accessory or technical advice...... shoots that comment down in flames. :)

20. I don't recall specifically mentioning you in my post!
    If you are in the industry, you would know places like the one I mentioned exist, and are the majority, not the exception, which shows you as a rare exception. :roll:
    And I stand by my statement, no matter how many years someone has as a shop assistant, if they don't know the product, I'm not going to listen to a thing they say.
    Now, would you like to address the issue of gouging, and why many bike dealerships feel a 200% markup on much of their range is reasonable?

Regards, Andrew.