Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who's advice is best / Giving Advice

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by VTRBob, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Thats solely up the the individual thats asking for help, Some advice will differ depending on personal or 'professional' experience.

There will be occasions where the advice seems to do a 180deg turn, as someone will totally contradict or disagree with a previous post, sometimes the advice will just get too technical for the OP.
    Thats when the OP has to step up and say, OK I'm over my head here, or can you please explain that in layman's terms :wink:

If your not sure what your about to attempt ask here 1st, you may avoid alot of pain and suffering and most of all $$$.

There is a wealth of knowledge here on NR some good some .. um .. not so good :LOL:

Always keep in mind that most people that are asking for advice have very little or no mechanical training or aptitude ( I mean that in the nicest way ) and are just trying learn and save some $$ by doing some home maintenance, and have limited access to the tools needed.

PS:If your going to offer help to someone and you don't agree with a previous post, avoid any snide or condescending remarks [ thats just bad form ],and as from now on that post will be deleted regardless if it was helpful or not.

For sure disagree and state your idea for the fix, but be nice about it. Were one big happy family in here :)

Above all else the TC's are always to be obeyed.

Cheers

2. I disagree.

Most peopel complain about there bike get answers then take it to a mechanic, voiding any advice givin in the first place.

Most threads can be replaced with what mechanic should i use in my area.

3. Thats because in most cases the person asking for advice realizes that what their attempting is beyond there capability's and rather than make a mess of things, do the right thing and take it to a mechanic in there area.

4. And some advice for this thread

# Use there when referring to a place, whether concrete ("over there by the building") or more abstract ("it must be difficult to live there").

* There is an antique store on Camden Avenue.
    * The calculus books are over there on the floor.

# Use their to indicate possession. It is a possessive adjective and indicates that a particular noun belongs to them.

* My friends have lost their tickets.
    * Their things were strewn about the office haphazardly.

# Remember that they're is a contraction of the words they and are. It can never be used as a modifier, only as a subject (who or what does the action) and verb (the action itself).

* Hurry up! They're closing the mall at 6 tonight!
    * I'm glad that they're so nice to new students here.

From http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They're

*yawn* I think it's time to go back to bed for me! *grumbles about being woken up early for nothing!* :grin:

Mod edit yes I'm a spelling and grammer nazi :LOL: :p
    Ps: no I'm not fixing it, I'm a mechanic not a writer :cheeky:

5. So their!!! Youve been told. :rofl:

Seriously, I agree with you Bob. What we sods who GIVE advice ought to be saying along with the advice is, "This is what has worked for me, but if you don't feel confident to do it, take it to your mechanic."

There are only two reasons for people asking about doing their :)lol:) own work; one is to save money, and one of for the sense of achievement. But if the latter ends up negating the former, the whole exercise should have been avoided.....

6. Also another reason for some people not to take their bike to a mechanic is they don't trust people other than themselves [and possibly friends] to touch their pride and joy. :grin:

7. i totally agree with this.

its cost and trust

and i found comment in the forum has been very useful. any info is better than none :grin:

8. I try to give the best advice I can if I feel that I may be able to help someone, but many times the OP has asked what really is a silly question.

Something like "Help Urgent - My ABC250 won't start what is wrong with it?"

Typhoon posted up some suggestions some time back regarding what would make an enquiry for help useless or beneficial, and there should be a sticky for people to read before posting for help (if one isn't already there)

Perhaps the mods can start removing questions that are almost impossible to assist with due to the lack of information or description of the OP??

9. I'm not particularly mechanical, however being new to bikes and anal and observant there were quite a few 'problems' I got excellent advice about from these forums, usually normal behaviour for bikes that I wasn't famililar with. Squeaky brakes, cam chain noise, fuel consumption range, customisation and modifications, basic prices for repairs, etc etc etc.

Having said that, sometimes you have to wait to book a bike in and you want an 'indication' of severity before you get to speak to the mechanic - we love our babies and worry when they go wrong.

Practicing describing 'complaints' or 'problems', getting feedback about what to report on, etc can be really valuable experience in becoming a good consumer of mechanics & shops in general. We've probably all used netrider advice in order to become somewhat knowledgeable about an issue so that when we speak to the 'experts' it doesnt' go over our heads!

Love this site.

10. O.K, what is REALLY annoying is when someone posts up, asks for a diagnosis, then 15 posts on drops some clanger like "oh yeah, it ran out of oil a week ago" when it is critical to teh original problem....
    Anyway, I will only offer advice if I know the area of the problem, or think I know where the problem is. It may be that I am wrong, and that is not the actual problem, but I will point you to something that could be the problem.
    I think VTR Bob makes a lot of sense in his first post, it is not a game to see who is king of the internet dartboard mechanics.
    What really riles me is people who parrot something they read somewhere else that is a solution to a problem, that does not fit here, or people who have no mechanical aptitude parroting what they read, and have no feel for it.
    The skill of pulling apart and reassembling mechanical eqipment is something anyone with patience can learn, however, diagnosing problems is a true art, and it takes many years and exposure to many different problems and engines/equipment to become truly proficient in the area. An excellent diagnostic mechanic is able to command very high wages because of this.
    So, a thread may take many turns, based on people's particular knowledge. Most will be right, but may not apply to the particular problem. The broken bolt thread recently is a classic example. I wish I'd come across it before it was locked, I have some neat tricks for broken bolts..next time!

Regards, Andrew.

11. :nail: Andrew
    The number of times I've had customers return a cylinder head, stating "it's NO good, it keeps blowing gaskets" etc, exhausting almost ALL possible causes, and asking them time and time again " are you sure you haven't left out some small detail?" only to find out 2-3 attempts later they failed to disclose something they have done or didn't do >> Pisses Me Off :evil:
    " oh .. I coated the head gasket with oil " :shock:
    "Well thats what my cousin told me to do" :roll: :roll:

12. the book...

Well, I'd advise buying the correct service manual for your bike, especially if you are going to attempt to repair it yourself. The genuine manual is always best (IMHO)....

Sass

13. Advice

The only problem with internet advice is that you cant see or touch the bike so it is very hard to help as there are to many variables.

My advice is, if you are not mechanically minded, do not attempt to much past a basic service. Find a good mechanic that you trust and build a relationship.

Not everyone has the time, tools or know how to do what is required, all you can do on line is guide and give your opinion.

The only real areas where internet advice is good are the following:
    Tyres & other consumables
    Clothes
    Accessories
    Riding tips
    And where to meet for our next ride.
    I'm sure there others but these are the main ones.

I'm not a qualified mechanic.

14. My advice to someone asking about a problem with their bike would be .. go to a bike specific forum , ie something wrong with your VFR ? go to vfr world.
    Prob with your monster??? Go to the monster forums etc etc

Netrider is hardly the place you should be seeking mechanical tips.
    No offence but some bloke blows in with a problem with an XYZ 250 and there is only one other bloke on netrider with the same bike ,... who hasn't had the same problem !!?? Whats the point??:grin:

15. I ask old people with beards or a moustache who ride the same bike as me.

16. Do you lend it to them, or just find them on the pillion seat from time to time?
    If the former, could I borrow it, I've got a beard AND a moustache and I'm 50. :LOL:

17. I totally agree with you on this one, I ride a Blackbird and if I want to know something about it, cbrxx.com. These people are all over the world and only ride Blackbirds, they do give excellent advice on all mechanical problems wih my particular bike, including rebuilding the motor, and all parts and accessories and where to get them cheaply, I have been on other bike specific forums and they all do the same, If bad advice is given, the person giving the bad advice gets jumped on quickly,
    Whatever your bike is, go to a specific forum for your individual machine.
    I also learnt a lot of my computer skills from cbrxx as well.

I am also an older bloke with a beard and mustache, hahahahaha
    Brian.

18. When it comes to forum advice, I think the most important thing is to know whether or not you are able to sort the wheat from the chaff. It's an ability some of us have and others don't. I believe I do, and am generally able to get a feel for what is sound advice. Others don't have this ability, but most likely have others that I don't (such as the ability to post a reasonable time around the Island, for instance, or successfully perform basic mathematical functions).

If you're not sure, ask the question, take note of what you feel is the right advice, then go see your trusted mechanic. After a while, you should get a feel for the truth of your aim, as it were.

And, what the fsck would Santa know about your bike problems?

19. Should have a way of the op selecting the best advice and the advice giver gets a point or something like keep a tally

20. I'm 50 plus, beard moustache and according to the Ex, I have a hairy butt. So where does that put me?

Cheers OFI-NT