Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Whole day course or multiple lessons

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jazzhunt, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Hi folks.
    I recently revisited the idea of buying a bike because I saw one I fell in love with. It's an old 250 cruiser but that meant a/ I could afford it and b/my stumpy little legs were properly planted.
    (And, BTW, there are a thousand debates on NR about the relative worth of cruisers but why do so few people mention leg length? I guess, with a stack of experience you can be stopped and have the bike leant over until you're on the way again but it doesn't strike me as a great idea for learners.)
    So I bought it (yep, feel free to point and chant mid-life crisis!) and went and got my permit.
    Now I'm curious about people's opinions...
    I have a bunch of very experienced mates who are all looking forward to taking me out for "lessons" and, no disparagement to them, that's cool but I'd really rather some professional training first, primarily so I don't learn bad habits to start.
    Options here in Perth are not quite as wide-open as other capitals but I'm trying to decide on a whole day course or a bunch of 1 hour(?) lessons.
    RAC run a whole day course at their closed-track driver training centre or I can choose a bunch of on-road lessons.
    I'm old enough that I'm in no rush here, I would rather get it right from the get-go and I intend to use their bike (if I can find one my legs can manage) coz mine is in pieces while I fix a decade of neglect) but I'm torn about the choice.
    There is a stack on excellent information on this forum (oh, so much! shame the 'best riding tip' thread got ruined by that long debate but there is still so much goodness) so I thought I'd canvass opinions.
    So, whaddya reckon?

2. don't buy a cruiser because you can flat foot it.

1. You don't need ot be able to flat foot a bike to ride it. Its a confidence thing that you feel that way.
    2. Look up pommiecat's thread. She is a learner in perth and has been doing 1hr lessons.

It would all depend on your time. I'd personally do the whole day thing. Get it out of the way fast. There are pros and cons for either option.

Lastly, don't be boring. Just get stuck into it. Make mistakes. Nobody will care. Its all about the learning ;) :D
  3. If you haven't ridden in ages an hour wont be enough.
    And all day will be too much. It will really tire you out and give you information overload.
    For a beginner I think three hours is great.
  4. :rofl: way to be real unhelpful bretto :rofl:

I believe (WA people correct me if I'm wrong), that learners in WA have to do supervised sessions in order to get their license.

I don't think they offer 3 hr sessions mate :D

However, you did point out the pros and cons I alluded to.

If it was me, i'd do the one day thing. You'd get it out of the way quick, pass the test and be out riding and learning. Doing it over many weeks, you won't be able to practice enough stuff in that time and the feeling of riding won't be as easy. IMO anyway.
  5. I'd suggest the whole day. You'll work on a range of things, the instructors get a good look at you and can start to sort out your flaws. Shorter sessions are good to work on particular problems once they are identified.
  6. I think the information overload can be an important issue. There is another thread here about use of rear brake and some learners swear they have been given what sounds like very dogy advice. I suspect that due to information overlaod they have got the message wrong. Problem is they then go out an practice what they think they have been told.

Another issue is that as a learner you are likely trying to focus on too may things at once. Which is near impossible. So as you correct one fault, you slide backwards on another. Baby steps may help this.

Riding with one or two mates is good as they should help form a buffer to keep other traffic away from you. Riding with a big group may not be as good as the adrenalin can flow a little more and mates are not as forgiving as strangers to people who don't have the same skills. However if their advice differs from what you are taught in the course, be wary. Just because it iss not the same as the course doesn't make it wrong as some course advice can be aimed more at getting you riding quickly than riding correctly. If there is a difference probably check here and see what other experienced riders say.
  7. Firstly...do the whole day course.

Bretto is correct concerning information overload...so put your maximum attention on the parts that are most important to you. BUT, then go out with your mates alot, to reinforce what you've been trained in. Ask your mates to point out anything really bad!, otherwise tell them that you are overloaded with info, so they clam up.

If they're sensible fellows, they'll realize what's going on and leave you to it while riding, BUT, do ask them for opinions on specific things.

Now...if i may...rule#1. DO NOT!, try to keep up with your mates. If they push you, or try to goad you into keeping up, etc.

Are you and your cruiser riding a similar bike to your mates? If they are on regular bikes you will be grounding out through corners. Dangerous if you are'nt used to it.

Your mates are excited for you and that's really cool. It's brilliant that they want to help you, but you must learn at your own pace - YOU, are learning. You cannot fill a head with quantum physics, and expect them to do anything except have an embolism, so take your time...because the learning takes a lifetime. :)
  8. Take this advice onboard. GreyBM is right!...and Bretto earlier.
  9. Thanks for all your thoughts guys.
    I do think I will do the whole day thing and then get out there with the boys for a couple of rides since their can be significant delays before you can book a test.
    I will definitely ask the guys about any issues I may have - most of them have been riding for over 25 years and one of them has taught a few people who are also very sensible riders. And he is a fanatic on not letting learners push it too far too fast - lots and lots of car park circles and ovals. As for their bikes most of them have a couple of bikes, generally one for the twisties and a cruiser (a HD springer softtail, a hd sportster and a honda fury amongst them), so I would expect most of them to bring their cruiser. But, hey, my little 250 (no 650 LAMS in WA!) and my well-constructed beer gut mean I couldn't keep up even if I wanted to! :)
    GreyBM you make an excellent point about the buffer in traffic - never even crossed my mind. All I thought was that 3 or 4 bikes tend to get the attention of car drivers more than a solo rider :)