Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who would of thought that repairs would cost sooo much!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Tiger_grrrrl, May 23, 2008.

1. A bit over a month ago I was riding home from work when I get reversed into at a set of traffic lights. Apparently his GPS told him too late that he sould be turning right, not left (never mind the fact that right turns arn't allowed at this intersection :? ) so he reversed up to change lanes without seeing me sitting behind him. It wasn't too hard a hit, the bike stayed upright the whole time but it did crack my front mud guard and the fairing under my headlight. When I took it to the repairers the next working day they also saw the headlight bracket was bent. Luckily none of this was my fault as he reveresed into me and hopefully my insurance will be able to refund my my $650 excess when he finally pays for the damage. Anyway when I finally picked up the bike on Monday (after a delay in which my insurer forgot to tell the repairers that they could start on the repairs) I asked how much did all the repairs cost? For a couple of bits of broken plastic and a bent headlight bracket it was ~$2500! My whole bike is only worth $5000. I suppose this is why we have insurance.

2. Sorry to hear you got hit. Glad it wasn't too bad.

Yes, fairing damage is bloody expensive. My current ride was written off due to damage not dissimilar to what you describe when the previous owner had a low speed drop. That was a 12-13k bike :shock: .

Mind you, it's allowed me to afford something newer and flasher than I could otherwise and I can live with the cracks and scrapes and slightly lopsided instruments :) .
  3. Now you know why/how easy it is to write off a bike.
  4. This is why some of us are always posting "I don't know how to fix this but I'm going to do it myself anyway...HELP!" :)
  5. Bikes are made in small boutique artisan's workshops and the replacement parts are handcrafted by buxom left handed virgins. This sort of high quality work is rightfully expensive.
  6. A bloke reversed into my '04 RSVR Factory and knocked it over the high side, at the time this bike had only been on the road for a week.
    The damage bill came to a tad over $14,000. The Assessor knew nothing about bikes and couldn't believe the cost, he also wanted me to "polish" out the blemishes and scratches rather than replace some parts, after I read his horoscope, he got a better understanding of how anal bike riders are about their pride & joy, probaly also helped that I was the repairer. The insurance company paid up.
    Just out of interest sake, if u rebuilt, say, a Hyosung 250 out of genuine spares from the ground up, it would probaly cost 2 or 3 times more than buying the whole bike. This applies to all makes & models.

Tex & Bundy
  7. Sorry to any insurance workers out there but this is a true story.

My son had his windscreen broken a few years ago. I can't remember the actual numbers but we got a quote to replace for about $200.00. As the policy allowed a broken screen without damaging his no claim we put a claim through insurance.

Same repairer, same windscreen but the bill for the insurance company was $350.00. That is part of the reason we pay high premiums.
  8. Yep, dropped my bike from almost dead stopped, on a roundabout, avoiding a P-plater. Cracked fairing, bent peg and gear lever, broken indicator, bent fairing bracket, broken mirror = ~$4000. :shock: They tossed up whether to write it off or not -- oh, and that was rewelding the fairing, not replacing it.
  9. You don't want to drop a Ducati/MV Augusta. Even at a stand still it can mean mega $$$ to replace the fairings.

I guess that the beauty of have a naked bike.
  10. far out... some people get ripped off mega bucks!

the cibby i bought had apparently "$1800" worth of repairs according to a repair shop i took it to. The bike was side swiped by a car ages back, while in hands of owner before the previous, and i just thought id see how much repairs were.

LHS fairing
    Front nose cone
    LHS indicator
    fairing sticker kit
    a few scratches here and there
    a bit of paint
    bent fairing mount

now i called up a few places:

fairing + nose cone + indicator = $300
    fitting = $0 (easy as piss, unless you cant turn alen keys and bend thin alloy brace for fairing)
    scratch rapair = $10 worth of auto filler and some careful sanding + $8 can of primer

paint = $300 full respray any colour i want providing i take the fairings off myself and take them in (again easy as piss)

Grand total

$618 with a custom paint job
    $1800 to fix the broken bits and make it stock.

moral of this story... DIY, its cheaper and a hell of a lot more fun.
  11. And don't forget - it also justifies the $130 odd for crash knobs, plus &90 or so for axle sliders and $70 or so for swingarm pucks. You don't see many $290 excesses...
  12. Yeah, if it was my fault I would do the repairs my self, find some cheap fairings off eBay or a wreckers. How hard could it be to replace some plastic? But as it was the other persons fault and I should hopefully get my excess back eventually I figured I'd get the job done properly. I can understand a Ducati or the like being ridiculously expensive to repair, you'd almost expect it, but my bike's as common as muck.
  13. Heads up - get to know your repairer. That $2,500 your insurer paid had a 'bullshit' surcharge that often you can make work for you if you speak to them for a bit.

For a small cent extra I got a new exhaust and a double bubble windscreen after they had quoted my insurer. :?
  14. It'd be much cheaper not to get to know a repairer... I think I'll stick with not knowing any repairers at all... thats the way I'd like to keep it for as long as possible :grin:
  15. Touche :)
  16. Which just goes to show how expensive it can be to buy a cheap bike :LOL: .

My R was written off, not so much for the external plastic damage which would have been quite expensive in itself (some of the fairing/bodywork panels are huge) but because the main fairing/instrument/headlamp support bracket was bent. A replacement would have been $8-900 and the labour to fit it would have been enormous as much of the bike's electrical system hangs off it and would be fiddly as all hell to remove and replace.

However, as an accomplished (if somewhat out of practice) bodger, I managed to get everything straight enough to serve the purpose. In the end, the repairs necessary to pass roadworthiness inspection cost me less than $100 (1 x mirror lens, 1 x indicator lens)
  17. You ride a Kawasaki. I used to ride Kawasaki's too. Every time anything needed repairing the costs for OEM items that are likely to get damaged in any spill were absolutely astounding.
  18. <pedant hat on>

Who would HAVE thought repairs........

Would OF has become common because people say; "Who would've?" (would have, shortened) and because Australians speak so poorly it sounds like 'would of'.

<pedant hat off>

They don't call insurance The White Man's Burden for nothing, my dear :LOL:.
  19. mate of mine had a small crash on his 06 cbr600, he rode up the back of a car at low speed. i would have said the damage was minor but it cost $4,500 to repair. mainly fairing damage.
    nothing is cheap these days :cry:
  20. It's standard practice to quote more for an insurance job because of the extra work involved. Insurance company involvement means much time spent dealing and arguing with pricks who try to weasel out of paying for the work that needs doing. Some insurance companies are easier to deal with than others. If I was a repairer, I'd charge more too.