Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who was who in 1923 and what became of them

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' at netrider.net.au started by danny_tb, Feb 12, 2011.

1. In 1923, Who Was:

1. President of the largest steel company?

2.. President of the largest gas company?

3. President of the New York stock Exchange?

4. Greatest wheat speculator?

5. President of the Bank of International Settlement?

6. Great Bear of Wall Street?

These men were considered some of the worlds most successful of their days..

Now, 88 years later, the history book asks us, if we know what ultimately became of them..

The Answers:

1. The president of the largest steel company.

Charles Schwab,

died a pauper.

2. The president of the largest gas company,

Edward Hopson,

went insane.

3. The president of the NYSE,

Richard Whitney,

was released from prison

to die at home.

4. The greatest wheat speculator,

Arthur Cooger,

died abroad, penniless.

5. The president of

the Bank of International Settlement,

shot himself.

6 The Great Bear of Wall Street,

Cosabee Livermore,

also committed suicide

However,

In that same year, 1923,

the winner of the worlds most important road race,

the Isle of Man T.T.,

was

Stanley Woods.

What became of him?

He won 10 T.T. races between 1923 and 1939,

He lived on the Isle of Man and rode motorcycles all his life. He lapped the island circuit at 82 mph in 1957 (The Golden Jubilee) aged 54

He was a wealthy man when he died aged 90.

The Moral:

F*** work.

Ride motorbikes.

2. Very good life lesson right there (y)

3. True, but the sale of his property netted each of his 19 heirs in excess of $40 million each. Not a bad amount of money for 1940!

Actually only served 3 years of a 5-10 year sentence for embezzlement and went on to run a yarn company - not dying until 30 years after his prison sentence.

If you consider a net worth of $17 million during the great depression to be penniless, and Chicago to be somehow separate from the rest of the USA.

4. Come on man, that was a great story until you brought the truth into it!

5. Haha

Reminds me over the years when supposingly well meaning f&ucks would say to me "A hard days work never killed anyone"..

I'd give them that serious look and reply "Yeah but it does eventually, guarantee"!

6. Just goes to show how people will accept anything as fact as long as it agrees with what they already think :).

7. Thanks, I do look good in these pants. :)

8. I didn't say that I'd checked the validity of the "facts" before I shared the info I'd been sent... That's why it's in th jokes area: some things might not be quite right, but the "moral of the story" should at least get a smile out of people here... ;)

9. I liked it despite the corrections - can anyone do the years from 1924 to 2010?

10. You could start with Rene Rivkin. From high status stockbrocker to being banned from trading for life (for illegal trading worth less than $3,000), then committing suicide in his Mother's apartment.