Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who wants to build me a website

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Takamii, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well soon I will need a website to showcase the products I carry

People keep asking if I have one - which I do not at the momment

so going to need a website

nothing flash with music and fancy intro films - they just take ages to load and annoy people

Thinking to use zencart shopping cart so you will need some experience in this

so drop me a pm we can start discussions
  2. Looking forward to see it.
    G'luck with it
  3. Thank you

I have zero artistic talent so no idea what it should look like

all I know is that it has to have a shopping cart
  4. I could do the artistic stuff, but don't know how to do anything websitey :)

I just know what looks good and appeals to buyers.
  5. let me know how u go with it, i can also do it, beauty of shopping carts is all the adding and editing of products is done online in an admin area so u will be doing that yourself, just need to get the thing uploaded and running to your liking
  6. I've been hanging out for you to do something like this.

You've got some awesome ideas, It'll be good to see how this turns out.
  7. Thanks Goz and Boy racer

my main issue would be the "first page"

need it to look good - then click on a link to enter the store

the admin of the site is easy enough but making the front page is tricky for a colour blind guy like me
  8. front page would be the easy bit for a designer, its the shop that can get tricky
  9. Carn't wait mate, saving me penny's now!!!

Good Luck with it :):)
  10. Do you reallyabsolutely need a cart at this stage of your business?
  11. well I need someway for people to order and pay - carts like zen cart are free anyway
  12. No No No No No No No No No No

Never ever use front page unless you use it solely as a text editor...

Design views in programes like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, etc will cause you more coding headaches long term as you alter and update the pages than it's worth... And FrontPage was particularly bad in that department.

Oh and Frontpage is no longer and replaced with Expression Web...
  13. he means front page as in the first page you see - not the software application
  14. free, and really easy to use once set up on the server... Once it's all been configured you don't need any PHP knowledge to use it. and a front page wouldn't really be that hard to do.
  15. Frontpage should be clubbed to death and then clubbed some more and then thrown into the fires of mount doom infront of kindergarden kids so then they understand how bad it is and never ever use it.

/Geek rage

Oh wait, not talking about the app. Oh well it's a warning to others.
  16. I highly suggest looking at hosted e-commerce solutions like http://www.shopify.com (i haven't used it) because setting up and maintaining your own site is not simple. Doing everything in one place, particularly when starting out, might be the best idea. And because it's hosted, you don't need to co-ordinate with someone else to do the technical things (people are going to cost you a lot more than the hosting fees).
  17. #19 PhoenixRZNG, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Two words:

eBAY Store!??!
  18. +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

The last draw with FrontPage for me was a few years ago, when I helped someone self taught, with issues with a web page he was maintaining and constantly updating for about a year.
    Think I removed about 1000 <span> and <font> tags on a page that only contained about a dozen lines of text and 4-5 images!

Don't let me get started on other coding issues!....... lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.